ATI or Nvidia?

Tfkt1

Hey guys... :D

I was wondering if what would suit my new (Not Really :P) AMD FX - 8350 for graphics card. Now I know some of you have discussed this already with most of the folks here. Some for preference, some for Build themes, But I want to know whether I would rather get Nvidia over AMD or the other way around.

I have some graphics cards that I have been eyeballing recently. some were a little okay, some were not. So I just happen to give it a thought that your answers seem to give point for later.I appreciate for those who can explain to me why this X is better than Y :D

well, theres a lot of answers, they mostly depend on your budget, if you're invested in an ecosystem, and if power cost is insane for you or not.

It doesn't really matter, amd vs nvidia is a very very close race at any given price point. Since your cpu is a weaker one however, you may be interested in going nvidia since they have less cpu-based driver overhead.

Core i5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce | MSI Z170 Krait Gaming Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4 2400 | NZXT S340 Red                                              EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo | Razer Blackwidow Tournament | Logitech G600 Razer Kraken USB                                                                                                            If you want me to see your post, please remember to quote me!

@manikyath yeah I have enough. or actually more than enough to buy a Gtx 980 or R9 390

@JoeyDM really!? wow I must have been believing that ATI does exsist

1 minute ago, Tfkt1 said:

@manikyath yeah I have enough. or actually more than enough to buy a Gtx 980 or R9 390

Between those two? What games do you play?

Just now, Tfkt1 said:

Those cards are like 200 dollars off from each other, so the 980 is definitely going to be better. A 390 competes with a 970. 980 competes with the Fury.

Core i5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce | MSI Z170 Krait Gaming Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4 2400 | NZXT S340 Red                                              EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo | Razer Blackwidow Tournament | Logitech G600 Razer Kraken USB                                                                                                            If you want me to see your post, please remember to quote me!

@JoeyDM really!? wow I must have been believing that ATI does exsist

I detect sarcasm, but just in case: ATI was bought by AMD in 2006. As of this point almost nobody from ATI is still on, to my knowledge. ATI is gone.

@JoeyDM Alot of games. like Crysis 3,farcry 4,csgo,starcraft II,Tombraider,Battlefield4,Dota2,dragon age inquistion,Farcry primal

@JoeyDM no its not sarcasm its true I thought they just exsist but good to know

If you can go with the 980, then I'd go with it. The R9 390 was made to compete with the GTX 970, Most of the time beating it. The R9 390x might be a good option as well, just looking at it now, providing close to the same performance as an 980 (correct me if I'm wrong)

Current system: CPU:I5 6600k 4.5Ghz, CPU Cooler: Asetek 550LC, Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gamer, Ram:Adata XPG 4x2 2400, Graphics Card:MSi GTX 970 + Zotac 970, Hard drives:256gb SSD+1tb WD Blue, Case:Corsair Spec 01 Power Supply:XFX TS  750 watt Bronze, OS:Windows 10 64bit

Ah well fair enough! Yeah they were purchased by AMD in 2006, and their branding was retired fully in 2010. They no longer exist. 

1 minute ago, 1Revenger1 said:

The R9 390x might be a good option as well, just looking at it now, providing close to the same performance as an 980 (correct me if I'm wrong)

It can be pretty close to stock 980 performance, but the fury (non-x) is really the direct price-point competitor.

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Subaru or Mercedes hmm so hard to decide.

Surely even a low end value option from one brand has to be better than a supercar from the other, right?

Right?

Not sure what this has to do with graphics cards? An ATI WRX STI? Or an Nvidia Sprinter?

If you're excited for upcoming games, that may use DX12, go with the 390/390X. If you're meh about upcoming games, and happy with your DX11 games, go with the 980.

Or if you can hang on a month or three, the next gen cards should be appearing.

woah hostility but I understand what your are saying but they perform a little bit similar, though Nvidia is a little bit higher

Go for a 390X, almost as good as a 980, for a lot less. Avoid Gigabyte and ASUS, try to get something from Sapphire.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

@Citadelen I looked at the link below your comment and I saw a slight difference there. I saw the information that explains revolving around the 3D que exposure and multi capabilities

2 hours ago, Citadelen said:

Go for a 390X, almost as good as a 980, for a lot less. Avoid Gigabyte and ASUS, try to get something from Sapphire.

Also it should be noted that the 390X beats the 390 by like 2fps in most cases but it costs quite a bit more.

Intel Core i7-4790k •• ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) •• 32GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR3 2400MHz CL11 •• MSI Radeon R9 390 GAMING 8G

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB •• Crucial M550 512GB •• Corsair AX750 •• Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced

6 hours ago, yackson said:

Also it should be noted that the 390X beats the 390 by like 2fps in most cases but it costs quite a bit more.

It's more than two, more like 5-10.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

12 hours ago, Citadelen said:

It's more than two, more like 5-10.

5 maybe in extreme cases. I have no idea where you would see 10 fps more, aside from games that already run at like 120+ fps on both cards. You can OC a 390 and get pretty much same performance. Taking into consideration the lower temperature and power consumption of the 390 (at least when not OC'd) and the price difference the 390X is not really worth it imho. But I guess that's just personal preference really. If you don't care about slightly higher temps and have the money then I guess you might as well just get the 390X.

Here are some comparisons of the 2 cards:

Intel Core i7-4790k •• ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) •• 32GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR3 2400MHz CL11 •• MSI Radeon R9 390 GAMING 8G

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB •• Crucial M550 512GB •• Corsair AX750 •• Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced

@yackson Really helpful I gave it a though and still reconsidered the R9 series over Nvidia's GTX 970, and 980 series. I'm still searching and doing more canvas or research

How about MSI's R9 390 and I hope it performs the same as sapphire's Cause I saw sapphire's and they were good