GTX 970 or 2 GTX 960 in SLI?

griz6400
Go to solution Solved by griz6400,

Well that just settled that fore me I have to go with nvidia because I forgot I need shadowplay and I make YouTube videos so noise is a concern for me. In the background of all my videos right now you can hear my laptop fan and it is aweful. Also I was planning on OC so I will have to go with 970 this round.

Yeah I need to get on ordering stuff because right now I have a dell latitude e5400. 4Gb a ddr2 samsung ssd intel core 2 and igpu. I dont have much to work with.

57 minutes ago, griz6400 said:

I was wonder if a 970 would be better then 2 960s in SLI because newegg is having a sale on 960s.

Get an R9 390 if you're not planning on OCing your GPU and you don't mind the temperatures. The temperatures of the 390 are definitely higher than the GTX 970, but it's still not too bad. The cooler I had was louder on the R9 390, though. If you DO want to OC your GPU and/or you want Shadowplay, go ahead and get a GTX 970. Don't run the 960s in SLI lol

Also, the R9 390 beats the GTX 970 with 8GB of VRAM and it can handle 1440p better than the GTX 970.

Well that just settled that fore me I have to go with nvidia because I forgot I need shadowplay and I make YouTube videos so noise is a concern for me. In the background of all my videos right now you can hear my laptop fan and it is aweful. Also I was planning on OC so I will have to go with 970 this round.

The 970 is a good card, very good choice, don't worry about the 3.5GB VRAM thing. I don't think youll have an issue with it, that's plenty of VRAM for that chip, I know quite a few people with that card and none of them have any issues.

I do suggest though saving up for the next generation of cards, the jump to a 14/16nm process is long overdue and we will see a huge performance increase and performance per dollar. I couldn't wait and I got a 980Ti but hopefully ill be able to sell it when the next x80Ti or 390x/Fury card is released ;P

here's a vid I came across you might like to watch.............. don't know where the link went..................... go to paulshardware and look for the 960 sli vid.