GTX 970 or 2 GTX 960 in SLI?

griz6400
Go to solution Solved by griz6400,

Well that just settled that fore me I have to go with nvidia because I forgot I need shadowplay and I make YouTube videos so noise is a concern for me. In the background of all my videos right now you can hear my laptop fan and it is aweful. Also I was planning on OC so I will have to go with 970 this round.

I was wonder if a 970 would be better then 2 960s in SLI because newegg is having a sale on 960s.

1 minute ago, griz6400 said:

I was wonder if a 970 would be better then 2 960s in SLI because newegg is having a sale on 960s.

960's would perform better but I would get an R9 390 over both.  

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

AMD guy I see. I am a first time builder and I thought that 2 960s would be better but just wanted to be sure. Thanks!

the numbers might be right but I am hesitant to say yes if the card is a 2gig card. This at 1080p? and are you willing to make game setting adjustments? I say this because if you're having troubles it may not just be the gpu but the limited amount of vram

I'd take the 390 too. way to good price to performance at the moment to not buy one. ( coming from an "nvidia guy" :D )

wow... pretty empty here...

AMD guy I see. I am a first time builder and I thought that 2 960s would be better but just wanted to be sure. Thanks!

Well, if you intend on upgrading, get the 970. If you want to wait, you can wait until Pascal and Polaris. A 390 is also a great choice. 2 960's has no room for upgrades

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

I may just get a 970 then because I was thinking I could always buy another 970.

when building new, always go single gpu over two weaker gpus.

with following exceptions:

- case filling

- there is no stronger gpu than what i'm getting two or more of.

Wait for the new round of GPU's, coming in like 2-3 months for Pascal.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

Ok that is very helpful. Also I have been avoiding AMD because I have heard they have been having driver issues and Nvidia is better performance. Is this true or just a myth?

I would rather go with a single GPU either get a GTX 970 or R9 390

Ok that is very helpful. Also I have been avoiding AMD because I have heard they have been having driver issues and Nvidia is better performance. Is this true or just a myth?

nein, nein, nein, nein, nein.......... all hogwash. And if you spend time reading around the web you'll find that it's the other way around right now............ buy a nano.

With the 960 SLI, you get 4GB of usable VRAM (if you get the right versions) over the single 970's 3.5, and you get better computer performance, albeit for a higher price.

Instead, with a single R9 390, you get double the VRAM of the 960 SLI, and more than double the single 970's, and compute performance that, while still lower than the 960 SLI, still handily beats the single 970.

So, unless you're working with programs like Adobe Premiere which are optimized for CUDA, the R9 390 is probably a better investment.

10 minutes ago, griz6400 said:

the 960 in SLI would outperform the 970 and the 390

only if SLI scales well and if the game supports it

i recommend you get a better single gpu if you want more performance

reason being dual GPU is finicky and not worth the hassle on mid-range products

and although the average fps is great, the minimum fps will be lower than same performing single card

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

There are a lot of people telling me R9 390 I might check into it.

Also the reason I'm not going low end on graphics is this is going to be a beast computer my planned specs are below.

Corsair RM1000

MSI Z170 Gaming Pro

16Gb DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz

Samsung 850 EVO Pro

WD Blue 3TB

Intel 6700k

Intel EXPI9301CTBLK 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express Network Adapter

ENERMAX ETS-T40F-TB 120mm Twister Aluminum 120mm CPU Cooler with PWM Fan Low 8 dBA nosie w/ fan adaptor

Sentey Stealth II Case

9 minutes ago, griz6400 said:

Also the reason I'm not going low end on graphics is this is going to be a beast computer my planned specs are below.

Corsair RM1000

MSI Z170 Gaming Pro

16Gb DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz

Samsung 850 EVO Pro

WD Blue 3TB

Intel 6700k

Intel EXPI9301CTBLK 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express Network Adapter

ENERMAX ETS-T40F-TB 120mm Twister Aluminum 120mm CPU Cooler with PWM Fan Low 8 dBA nosie w/ fan adaptor

Sentey Stealth II Case

Get the 390. Don't buy into what people tell you about AMD sucking. 

is that $135 card over at newegg what you were thinking of getting?

WAIT.................. I meant $155.  I guess if it were $135 they would have been gone already. Sorry.

i just came from there and that's why I made the other reply.............. because I didn't see a $135. Maybe I didn't make a mistake, I don't know. They do do funny stuff like that for very short periods of time. If you see it it's time to buy it. I saw the same card change price 3 times in less than 2 hours one day.