NZXT H440 combined with Corsair GS600

Patoot
Go to solution Solved by Moonzy,
7 minutes ago, Patoot said:

maybe there is a way to demount it partially?

yes, with a dremel

8 minutes ago, Patoot said:

I am worried that the Power Suppy will have no space to "breath"

normally people who use the h440 would put the fan side down since the case provides vents at the bottom just for this purpose

Hello everyone!

I got my eyes on beautiful NZXT H440 case, I am almost decided to get it but there is this one thing: I have Corsair GS600 power supply with a great looking LED fan on top that nicely lights up my build in my current case. I have seen on Linus review of the case that it has the power supply compartment covered. Does that mean that I will no longer be able to use the PS light, maybe there is a way to demount it partially? And second thing is that I am worried that the Power Suppy will have no space to "breath" - it has a 140mm fan. If I put it the other way around, are there ventilation openings in the case? 

I appreciate all the help that will help me make a decision and make me understand. :)

4 minutes ago, Patoot said:

-SNIP-

If you face the PSU down it get fresh air from outside of the case, it may let a little glow through onto the floor or surface the case is sitting on:

nzxt_h440_24.jpg

7 minutes ago, Patoot said:

maybe there is a way to demount it partially?

yes, with a dremel

8 minutes ago, Patoot said:

I am worried that the Power Suppy will have no space to "breath"

normally people who use the h440 would put the fan side down since the case provides vents at the bottom just for this purpose

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

Forgive me for being a newbie, but isn't the design of the fan in PSU made for only one way? Now it without a doubt pushes air from bottom of the case into upper parts and therefore components. If I turn it around it would push the air out of the case, which is something I don't want, right? 

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

yes, with a dremel

I was afraid this would be the only option. I guess I will just leave it like that. 

But still, if the PSU is currently taking the air from outside and sucking it on the inside, then I guess if i turn it around it would take the air from the inside and suck it outside - am I getting this correctly?

3 minutes ago, Patoot said:

Forgive me for being a newbie, but isn't the design of the fan in PSU made for only one way? Now it without a doubt pushes air from bottom of the case into upper parts and therefore components. If I turn it around it would push the air out of the case, which is something I don't want, right? 

Well the orientation doesn't really matter but the fan intakes air into the PSU and pushes it out the rear honeycombed mesh so it would be completely isolated from the case getting it's own fresh air and exhausting out the back. If it was face up it would still work but intake air from inside the case instead of from the bottom there.

3 minutes ago, Patoot said:

the psu normally sucks air in from the side you can see the fan, and exhaust from the side you plug your cable in

so having the psu facing up in this case would result it sucking air from your case and exhausting it outside

this would result in your upper compartment having insufficient air if your intake is not strong enough

and might result in a negative air pressure, causing dust to build up easily inside

while having the fan faced down would allow the psu to draw air mainly from the vents, which is from outside of the case and exhaust it out

thus creating its own air flow system without interrupting the rest of the system

2 minutes ago, Patoot said:

I was afraid this would be the only option. I guess I will just leave it like that. 

But still, if the PSU is currently taking the air from outside and sucking it on the inside, then I guess if i turn it around it would take the air from the inside and suck it outside - am I getting this correctly?

refer to above :D 

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Well the orientation doesn't really matter but the fan intakes air into the PSU and pushes it out the rear honeycombed mesh so it would be completely isolated from the case getting it's own fresh air and exhausting out the back. If it was face up it would still work but intake air from inside the case instead of from the bottom there.

OMG, you are right :D All this time I thought it works the other way around, I even put my finger while writing the first post and I was sure it flows the other way than it is in reality, but now that I hover receipt over it, I have to admit to being wrong! 

That solves my doubts, thank you guys for help, and I have to say I am positively surprised I joined today, cause I got help fast and in a professional manner. Have a nice day!