860K vs I3 6100

Hello,

So I'm having a bad time trying to choose between the two processors for my girlfriend's new PC. She said she doesn't want a new PC if that thing cant play RUST and other games. 

The problem is ,the I3 is considerably more expensive than the Athlon. I just want to know if there is that much difference between the to in performance that it is in price.

Will the i3 be bottlenecked in some games for being a 2 core 4 thread CPU?

I know the AMD is not futureproof at all when it comes to the FM+ socket.

Take it like this .

The Intel is 5.5 money

And the AMD is 3.7

What do you guys think? 

Thank you.

The i3 6100 is has a strong advantage, but it depends on what GPU are you getting.  

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

If you could find a used GTX 660 or maybe a 7870 then I think you would have a pretty clean rig.

Current rig :  |CPU: 2600K @ 4.8GHz|   |GPU: EVGA ACX GTX 980 @ 1.5GHz| |Ram: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X|   |Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Blue 500GB, WD Black 1TB|  |Motherboard: AsRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3|   |Cooler : Black Phanteks TC14PE (3 Corsair AF140s)|   |Power Supply : Thermaltake TPG-850M|  |Case: Phantom 410 Black|

also depends on whether shes a gamer seriously or not ,,,, but i would hold off just a bit because theres a new AMD 880K going to be coming out anytime now.  (waiting on it myself)

intel has skylake upgrade ability to an 15 or 17 which is a huge advantage over a now older amd  counterpart though.

Stay away from the athlon. And maybe see if you can get a lightly used i5 from a gen or two back instead. Would be a HUGE step up from the athlon and definite improvement over the i3. And really the I3 6100 is reasonably priced for the performance you'll get.

Well , shes not a serious/hardcore gamer , I might get a a 950 or a 750 ti depending on the budget

I can only use a credit card so i have to get it new and  purchase on installment

Just now, Andrew9205 said:

Well , shes not a serious/hardcore gamer , I might get a a 950 or a 750 ti depending on the budget

If you go on youtube you'll see people getting similar or better than console performance and quality level with a 750ti and a similar i3 (or even the pentium g3258 which is an option as well) and going with an older architecture AMD part for cpu would really hinder your performance there. on lower end intel and nvidia really shines especially with that setup.

1 minute ago, WoodcockJohnson said:

If you go on youtube you'll see people getting similar or better than console performance and quality level with a 750ti and a similar i3 (or even the pentium g3258 which is an option as well) and going with an older architecture AMD part for cpu would really hinder your performance there. on lower end intel and nvidia really shines especially with that setup.

So I wont screw up with the 6100 and a 750 or a gtx 950 compared to the AMD

4 minutes ago, Andrew9205 said:

I can only use a credit card so i have to get it new and  purchase on installment

Not meaning to judge but maybe just save up?

You can find really good deals in classified ads if you know what you're looking for. Safer bet would be on a community like this I'm sure you could find someone to ship you some parts that they don't need anymore.

But if you HAVE to have it now then go with the pentium G3258 and overclock the crap out of it. And the 750ti.

2 minutes ago, Andrew9205 said:

Sorry mods for the double post, couldn't figure out how to add this quote to the edit.

And no you wouldn't be screwing up at all. That cpu and either GPU would be an awesome budget system. Pair it with at least 8gb of 1600-1866mhz ram and a cheap ssd and you'll be laughin!

1 minute ago, WoodcockJohnson said:

Not meaning to judge but maybe just save up?

You can find really good deals in classified ads if you know what you're looking for. Safer bet would be on a community like this I'm sure you could find someone to ship you some parts that they don't need anymore.

But if you HAVE to have it now then go with the pentium G3258 and overclock the crap out of it. And the 750ti.

WIth the G3258 ill definitely need a aftermarket cooler to get some real improvement but with the cooler ill most likely reach the 6100 price, and the question is is that pentium better than a stock 6100? 

3 minutes ago, Andrew9205 said:

I have an 860k with a 950. I max out my cpu with chrome, skype, and bf4 running at the same time.

4 minutes ago, WoodcockJohnson said:

Sorry mods for the double post, couldn't figure out how to add this quote to the edit.

And no you wouldn't be screwing up at all. That cpu and either GPU would be an awesome budget system. Pair it with at least 8gb of 1600-1866mhz ram and a cheap ssd and you'll be laughin!

I wont do the skylake ddr3 mistake I once did , im gonna go 2133 ddr4 

HAD TO MENTION : Display will be a max of 1280x1024

6 minutes ago, MagnusGrønstad said:

I have an 860k with a 950. I max out my cpu with chrome, skype, and bf4 running at the same time.

I know its an awesome cpu for the budget but It simply has no upgrade path.

Just now, Andrew9205 said:

I know its an awesome cpu for the budge but It simply has no upgrade path.

true. It's gonna be useless in a year or two. I was just sharing my experience with the cheap chip

On 2016-03-16 at 4:00 PM, Andrew9205 said:

Ok guys, I just went with it. i3 6100 already payed for !!!

Thank you for all your help.

good choice!