Help me get the right card for my rig (A few options supplied)

Guun

Hi everybody, made an account hoping you could help with the above. My Sapphire 7870XT seems to have died on me (Red vertical lines on screen, black screen and more) while I was trying out the new need for speed game. I'm currently running on my old 6870. I had been hoping to wait until new cards get announced to upgrade but I get the impression it could be a while and I want to play my games. Being in Ireland my best place to buy seems to be amazon.co.uk so I'm going to list what I currently have and the prices of some of the card options from there. I know I might be in need of other things too so I'm open to suggestions of other upgrades apart from graphics cards and pros and cons of different manufacturers. Budget for a card is somewhere in the 350-400 euro region.

My current parts: 
Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K 4x 3.30GHz
G_Card: Radeon HD 6870
Ram: 8gb Kingston HyperX something DDR3 Dual Channel 1600MHz(2x4gb sticks)
PSU: Cooler Master GX 650W
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1000GB
SSD: Samsung SDD 830 Series 120GB
Case: Cooler Master Elite 335

Current amazon options:
MSI 390 : 342 euro
Asus Strix R9 390x: 406 euro
PowerColor AX R9 390x: 406 euro
MSI NVIDIA GTX 970: 342 euro
EVGA GeForce GTX 970: 342 euro
ASUS STRIX GTX 970: 355 euro
Gigabyte GTX 970: 355 euro

Thanks in advance for any and all replies

3 minutes ago, Guun said:

Go straight for that.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

4 minutes ago, Guun said:

Hi everybody, made an account hoping you could help with the above. My Sapphire 7870XT seems to have died on me (Red vertical lines on screen, black screen and more) while I was trying out the new need for speed game. I'm currently running on my old 6870. I had been hoping to wait until new cards get announced to upgrade but I get the impression it could be a while and I want to play my games. Being in Ireland my best place to buy seems to be amazon.co.uk so I'm going to list what I currently have and the prices of some of the card options from there. I know I might be in need of other things too so I'm open to suggestions of other upgrades apart from graphics cards and pros and cons of different manufacturers. Budget for a card is somewhere in the 350-400 euro region.

My current parts: 

Current amazon options:

I would wait for Pascal and Polaris to come out. Then see what your options are then, and also some other models of GPU prices should drop in price. Some sites say early as April-Others as late as July. But since there are no official release dates, I guess this is more of a time point guess.

dont get a 970, even at 1080p you can have issues and have to turn your settings down

you'll have problems with the vram and the r9 390 performs better

sapphire is the evga of amd so i'd recommend them

and i'd say that the psu could be changed too ;)http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20650y1

why dont you go for a newer evo 850 maybe with 250gb   no need to go for older tech evo 830

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

The R9 390 is slightly better than the GTX 970 and the R9 390X is better than both of them.

Would either get the MSI R9 390 or the Powercolor R9 390X (Powercolor's PCS+ cooler is better than the Asus Strix DirectCUIII cooler in terms of quality)

But i haven't heard of the Cooler Master GX powersupply? Might want to replace that if somebody points out that is bad.

1 minute ago, ZeusXI said:

I would wait for Pascal and Polaris to come out. Then see what your options are then, and also some other models of GPU prices should drop in price. Some sites say early as April-Others as late as July. But since there are no official release dates, I guess this is more of a time point guess.

Our latest estimates are for early June announcement -> Late June / Early July actually on the shelves.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Just now, Imakuni said:

Our latest estimates are for early June announcement -> Late June / Early July actually on the shelves.

Thank you for that tip. Im waiting for the release. I have an ok card, MSI GTX 750 Ti, and it has lasted me awhile so im just gona wait later to see my options

4 minutes ago, Bl00dgod said:

dont get a 970, even at 1080p you can have issues and have to turn your settings down

that is if he really try hard to cap the vram... 970 is fine on 1080p

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 minutes ago, HydraGaming said:

But i haven't heard of the Cooler Master GX powersupply? Might want to replace that if somebody points out that is bad.

Assuming it's this one..... er, it's doable. Not very good, but still not bad enough that I'd recommend swapping out.

10 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

what are these estimates based on? i have yet to hear anything other then rumors

CPU: 6700k 4.6Ghz GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X MB: MSI Gaming M5 PSU: Evga 750 G2 Case: Phanteks EVOLV 

Just now, Spectrez said:

what are these estimates based on? i have yet to hear anything other then rumors

Computex, which starts May 31. We expect releases a few days earlier or during the event. We're very close to April, yet doesn't seem like anything will launch anytime soon.

23 minutes ago, Guun said:

My current parts: 

Current amazon options:

I would go with the ASUS STRUX Nvidia GTX 970 out of those options. But if you have the money and can find one I would also go with the TI version of the GPU.

Duh_Tech

I am a computer and aviation enthusiast. I have a good enough PC. 

16 minutes ago, Duh_tech said:

I would go with the ASUS STRUX Nvidia GTX 970 out of those options. But if you have the money and can find one I would also go with the TI version of the GPU.

Wut...

1. For starters, there's no 970ti.
  2. Second, the strix is worse than the MSI (assuming it's the Gaming 4G) model in every way, except maybe aesthetics, which is subjective... okay, fine, it only needs an 8pin connector and consumes less energy, but that's irrelevant here.
  3. Third, the 390 - which is a better card then the 970 - is available for cheaper.

0 reason to recommend the Asus 970 here. None at all.

Oh sorry my bad about the 970ti I was thinking about the 980ti. I choose the 970 over the MSI card because I have one and in my experience with the games I play what is most likely different then what you do, for me the 970 is better the the 390 from AMD and MSI.

Duh_Tech

I am a computer and aviation enthusiast. I have a good enough PC. 

Thanks guys, really appreciate all the replies. Getting the impression that the 390 is the way to go.

Any opinions on msi vs sapphire (theres a Sapphire R9 Nitro 390 available for slightly more at 356 euro) ? 

Powercolor 390x not worth the extra money?