Is my external SSD overkill?

Im looking at the samsung T3 250GB Portable SSD.

Its got a transfer speed of roughly 450mb/s, but my laptop SSD speeds are only 128mb/s (write) and 416mb/s (read).  ..................(I have an early 2013 macbook pro)

Will the SSD be held back by my laptop hardware/ should I get a cheaper external storage device?

Thank you for any help!! :):):) 

What kind of port is it using? Thunderbolt I/II, USB 2.0/3.0/3.1?

Intel i7-5820k OC'ed to 4.2GHz @1.225 V; w/ Corsair H110i GTX2x Asus Strix 980ti's; Asus Rampage V Extreme; 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistics GDDR4 RAM; EVGA 1000P2 psu

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/8608142 boost clock of 1493MHz

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/jjar35/saved/#view=ghCWGX + 43" 4k Vizio M-Series TV

12 hours ago, ElPedro said:

Its got a transfer speed of roughly 450mb/s, but my laptop SSD speeds are only 128mb/s (write) and 416mb/s (read).  ..................(I have an early 2013 macbook pro)

Will the SSD be held back by my laptop hardware/ should I get a cheaper external storage device?

Thank you for any help!! :):):) 

i still recommend 1tb external usb 3.0 hdds

still very fast, and much larger, as well as being like

60 bucks?

1 minute ago, Josephdalepi said:

60 bucks?

^This. Unless you need speeds that fast or need to transfer lots of small files, I would stick with a mechanical hard drive.

12 hours ago, KemoKa said:

^This. Unless you need speeds that fast or need to transfer lots of small files, I would stick with a mechanical hard drive.

plus, the usb 3.0 interface is a 5gb/s interface

consumer hdds are only good for about 3 gb/s

its basically the best option

i use one to store and play games off of on my laptop even

1 minute ago, KemoKa said:

3 minutes ago, Josephdalepi said:

60 bucks?

Unless the OP likes bashing his external drives around :D (SSDs and USB drives only...I had broken 4 external HDDs in 6 months as my bag=death of many HDDs :P )

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

12 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Unless the OP likes bashing his external drives around :D (SSDs and USB drives only...I had broken 4 external HDDs in 6 months as my bag=death of many HDDs :P )

rugged ones are like 5 to 10 bucks more still

plus, you can pull it out of the enclosure and stick it inside if you want

3 minutes ago, Josephdalepi said:

plus, the usb 3.0 interface is a 5gb/s interface

consumer hdds are only good for about 3 gb/s

its basically the best option

i use one to store and play games off of on my laptop even

Actually most consumer SSDs push the SATA III limit of 6 gb/s, hence why all of them are generally around the 500 to 550 MB/s speeds

nvm thought you said SSDs not HDDs :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, jjar35 said:

What kind of port is it using? Thunderbolt I/II, USB 2.0/3.0/3.1?

My laptop has USB 3.0, it would use that

Just now, Josephdalepi said:

rugged ones are like 5 to 10 bucks more still

plus, you can pull it out of the enclosure and stick it inside if you want

sorry,forgot to say I destroyed 4 external HDDs where 3 of them were rugged as since I broke my first one, I went for rugged only...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

5 minutes ago, KemoKa said:

The main thing I want is it to be rouged, so not a HDD that can be damaged. An SDD thas more robust and smaller

10 minutes ago, ElPedro said:

Well based on that the external SSD is overkill for copying from it to your laptop, but it makes sense in other scenarios.  Plus it will be more durable (see the guy above that killed 4 hard drivers :p)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

sorry,forgot to say I destroyed 4 external HDDs where 3 of them were rugged as since I broke my first one, I went for rugged only...

yeah, you're really not supposed to toss drives around unless you live in a foam pit.

Just now, ElPedro said:

The main thing I want is it to be rouged, so not a HDD that can be damaged. An SDD thas more robust and smaller

Ah, well, then if that's really what you need, and you have the cash to spare... chances are the SSD is a good bet.

And that's because they're getting so cheap lately. A year ago I still would have gone with the HDD.

12 hours ago, KemoKa said:

yeah, you're really not supposed to toss drives around unless you live in a foam pit.

Ah, well, then if that's really what you need, and you have the cash to spare... chances are the SSD is a good bet.

And that's because they're getting so cheap lately. A year ago I still would have gone with the HDD.

gotten cheap enough im saving up for an m.2 ssd

that storage speed

mmmm

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well based on that the external SSD is overkill for copying from it to your laptop, but it makes sense in other scenarios.  Plus it will be more durable (see the guy above that killed 4 hard drivers :p)

Thank you! This is the answer I was looking for. So I would be under utilised for stuff like saving to, but importing would be super fast?

Also HDD drive, would that fully utilise the write speed of my laptop?

2 minutes ago, ElPedro said:

Thank you! This is the answer I was looking for. So I would be under utilised for stuff like saving to, but importing would be super fast?

Also HDD drive, would that fully utilise the write speed of my laptop?

HDDs can definitely be read from at more than 128 MB/s, but you wouldn't be able to write to it at more than about 180 most likely, so the answer is "yes" when copying to your computer and "no" when copying from it.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

HDDs can definitely be read from at more than 128 MB/s, but you wouldn't be able to write to it at more than about 180 most likely, so the answer is "yes" when copying to your computer and "no" when copying from it.

Ok thank you :) Last question

Any recommendations for a small, durable, possibly aluminium HDD?

4 hours ago, ElPedro said:

Ok thank you :) Last question

Any recommendations for a small, durable, possibly aluminium HDD?

A durable HDD?  No idea - I don't think one exists.