hours on

i will soon be retiring my old HP desktop (a1720n). it has served me well, but i just can not take the snail power any longer. is there a way to tell how many hours on this has accumulated in the past 10 years?

crystaldiskinfo can tell you how long the hard drive has been spinning

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

crystaldiskinfo can tell you how long the hard drive has been spinning

If it came with the machine and was new at the time, this would be the hours on of the machine too, but if you've done anything funny with the drive, then that won't necessarily be a useful number.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

this is the one and only hard drive. so whatever is on it, is whats on the machine. it will be interesting to know, as one of the fans has just started to make noise as well.  thank you, and i will post the number when i have finished it.

47,917 hours on! hard to believe that i have used so much of my life sitting here surfing the most part.  figuring that out, i have spent about 1/2 of the last 10 years siting in front of this thing! man, do i NEED A LIFE!

3 hours ago, xwrench3 said:

47,917 hours on! hard to believe that i have used so much of my life sitting here surfing the most part.  figuring that out, i have spent about 1/2 of the last 10 years siting in front of this thing! man, do i NEED A LIFE!

That can't be right - that's over 13 hours per day every single day for 10 years.  Unless you're like me and left it on 24/7 ... 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That can't be right - that's over 13 hours per day every single day for 10 years.  Unless you're like me and left it on 24/7 ... 

13 hours a day isn't a really unbelievable amount of time for a computer to be on

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

32 minutes ago, brwainer said:

13 hours a day isn't a really unbelievable amount of time for a computer to be on

to be on - no, you're right (just look at mine; on 24/7) - but to be using it, that's a lot :)  I guess there's no reason it would have to be in use that whole time, but I guess I just kind of expected it since laptops are generally used like that (they're not on unless you're using them)

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

to be on - no, you're right (just look at mine; on 24/7) - but to be using it, that's a lot :)  I guess there's no reason it would have to be in use that whole time, but I guess I just kind of expected it since laptops are generally used like that (they're not on unless you're using them)

Well the OP said it was a desktop... ;)

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

6 hours ago, brwainer said:

Well the OP said it was a desktop... ;)

Oh... You're right xD why on earth did I have in my head this was a laptop for some reason!?

well, there were times that it did stay on 24-7. but that was maybe 10% at the most of its life. the vast majority of the time, it has been set up to go into sleep mode after 10-30 minutes of non use. does sleep mode count as hours on? if so, that would explain a LOT!

2 minutes ago, xwrench3 said:

well, there were times that it did stay on 24-7. but that was maybe 10% at the most of its life. the vast majority of the time, it has been set up to go into sleep mode after 10-30 minutes of non use. does sleep mode count as hours on? if so, that would explain a LOT!

It shouldn't... I don't think.  Remember it's counting hours on of the HDD so even though sleep would count as hours on of the PC (if there was some way to know that number) it shouldn't count as hours on as the HDD since I'm pretty sure the HDDs spin down and shut off during sleep.

i DO spend a lot of time in front of a screen. i have a horrible back, and working a traditional job (i was a motorcycle mechanic for 35 years) is something i can not do anymore. but i had no idea that i spent this much time sitting in front of a computer. and that count will only get higher, as my back continues to deteriorate. the good thing now is i have a second computer (a laptop i am using right now) that should take some of the workload off the upgrade that i will be doing to my old desktop. but the laptop will always be secondary to the big desk and desktop (which is an oxymoron as the computer sits in the bottom part of the desk).

My server is 5 1/2 years old and its at 49k/hours being on 24/7 for most of that - so its not to unbelievable for a 10yo computer to clock that up.

ygtujlvt.mkp.png

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

1 hour ago, Jarsky said:

My server is 5 1/2 years old and its at 49k/hours being on 24/7 for most of that - so its not to unbelievable for a 10yo computer to clock that up.

ygtujlvt.mkp.png

"Most of that" is an understatement ;)  49352 hours = (@ 24/7) 2056.333 days = (@ 365.24 days/year) = 5.63 years, so to rack that up in 5.5 years, you've done well ;)xD

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

"Most of that" is an understatement ;)  49352 hours = (@ 24/7) 2056.333 days = (@ 365.24 days/year) = 5.63 years, so to rack that up in 5.5 years, you've done well ;)xD

Haha, well just over 5 1/2 years then- but not by much...basically my server has had about 3 days downtime since i've had it (which would be cummulative of hardware swaps / OS configurations) :)

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA