Best nvidia GPU for £200-£230

Jel
Go to solution Solved by Moonzy,
1 minute ago, Jel said:

What is the best nvidia GPU for 200-230 GBP?

(Or is it even worth upgrading?)

My current setup:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/w3TBsY

just stick with this...

you can add a few more for a 970, but then u can get a 390 for better performance than a 970 in games

but its just not worth the upgrade

1 minute ago, Jel said:

My current setup:

just stick with this...

you can add a few more for a 970, but then u can get a 390 for better performance than a 970 in games

but its just not worth the upgrade

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 minutes ago, Jel said:

My current setup:

(geez, dat setup.......)

Don't get anything. Wait for Pascal / Polaris. Once it comes out, wait a few weeks for benchmarks, sell your 380 and then get the best card available.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

really with that setup, you are ahead of most people. i would go for a few new games over a upgrade unless the games you want to play just dont have the frame-rate you. want.

Pc Speck's : i7-6700K 4.0GHz , GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming 6GB , 16 GB Corsair Vengance DDR4 - 3400 , ROG SWIFT PG278Q 144Hz , (2) Acer G277HL bid 60Hz.

you wont get a team green gpu thats better than the r9 380 for that budget

you could sell your gpu and get a brand new gpu from the upcoming nvidia/amd generation

whats your display? you might have to spend some money on a better visual experience ;) like a nice IPS panel for better colors etc

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

I don't believe Polaris or Pascal will be that much better than the current generation. At least, not Pascal.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

imo i think they'll have a few % better performance for less watt, and as you could imagine MORE RAM .... HBM RAM

imagine a new titan whatever with 30gb of ram, so 4k resolutions wont be a problem in perspective of the ram usage

sure they improve as the time passes

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

2 minutes ago, sof006 said:

I don't believe Polaris or Pascal will be that much better than the current generation. At least, not Pascal.

how do you know we know nothing yet of polaris or pascal how can you make a decision that pascal is going to be bad

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Just now, Maybach123 said:

how do you know we know nothing yet of polaris or pascal how can you make a decision that pascal is going to be bad

*cough* fanboy *cough*

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

4 hours ago, Bl00dgod said:

you wont get a team green gpu thats better than the r9 380 for that budget

you could sell your gpu and get a brand new gpu from the upcoming nvidia/amd generation

whats your display? you might have to spend some money on a better visual experience ;) like a nice IPS panel for better colors etc

Two Asus VN247H monitors

Well for example Nvidia hasn't mentioned anything about gaming performance. Only blabbing on about how their new GPU has better performance when using deep learning apps, nothing there about games. AMD has only shown us a very small amount of information their new stuff... doesn't really interest me. Again I could be proven wrong but i'm not holding anything to it.

System Specs:

3 minutes ago, danrey84 said:

I would say someone is more of a fan boy saying pascal is going to be bad before we have seen anything.

Agreed.

We're getting a node shrink along withe the possibility of new VRAM (GDDR5X and HBM2), I can't imagine neither of the new GPUs to be any bad. I'm really hoping they'll blow our socks off, both Nvidia and AMD.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

AMD might be showcasing some Polaris today:

You might want to check that out.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

6 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

*cough* fanboy *cough*

not a fanboy i just refuse to have someone make a decision based on information that is not currently known 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Either way there are going to be improvements on both sides. AMD always offer great bang for buck and Nvidia do what they do really well but are a little more costly. Just ordered a 980Ti today as we here in the UK just had a price drop on the 980Ti too below 500 pound. FTW

not a fanboy i just refuse to have someone make a decision based on information that is not currently known 

I didn't word that right :c I meant the guy who said Pascal would be bad is a fanboy.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

22 minutes ago, Bl00dgod said:

imo i think they'll have a few % better performance for less watt, and as you could imagine MORE RAM .... HBM RAM

imagine a new titan whatever with 30gb of ram, so 4k resolutions wont be a problem in perspective of the ram usage

sure they improve as the time passes

1080 is GDDR5X - guess Nvidia are skipping HBM for now

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

42 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

I didn't word that right :c I meant the guy who said Pascal would be bad is a fanboy.

I'm a fanboy for saying Pascal would be bad? I didn't say it was bad, I just said it wouldn't be worth the upgrade. Plus I have a 980 Ti so what are you getting at?

System Specs:

2 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

1080 is GDDR5X - guess Nvidia are skipping HBM for now

i think they are using hbm for titan but again we know little about it

i think they are using hbm for titan but again we know little about it

Titan is due 2017 tho

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

2 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

ahh ok

Just now, don_svetlio said:

Titan is due 2017 tho

man i hope it comes a bit earlier 

man i hope it comes a bit earlier 

Feb 2017 and April 2017 for 1080 Ti according to leaks a few months ago