Upgrading PSU componants

SilicateWielder

Hello all, I was wondering if replacing the componants in a powersupply with newer more-reliable ones, such as those from Rubycon, would possibly make a powersupply more reliable and/or extend it's lifespan. Does anyone know about this?

EDIT: I am aware of the dangers of electricity. I learned the hard way as a kid when messing with a CRT, and I am extremely lucky that I was not seriously injured. Please stop lecturing me about the safety risks.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

1 minute ago, UnbrokenMotion said:

Hello all, I was wondering if replacing the componants in a powersupply with newer more-reliable ones, such as those from Rubycon, would possibly make a powersupply more reliable and/or extend it's lifespan. Does anyone know about this?

100000% not recommended, opening up a PSU can literally kill you, plus if ANYTHING goes wrong you could fry your whole pc (like a bad solder or something)

Honestly power supplies are not expensive, its easier, safer, and not expensive to just buy a good one

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 minute ago, UnbrokenMotion said:

It could but some of the internal parts of a PSU can be toxic so if you do this (which I don't suggest) use safety equipment. 

I have an Anet A8 as my project printer and a i3 MK3 for when I want things to work. 

I extrude my own filament and haven't saved a penny yet.

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 8700k

Motherboard: MSI Z370-A Pro

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V (2x8GB) DDR4-3200

GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition (OC'd)

Storage: 2x 2TB Seagate 5400RPM, 128GB ADATA SSD

Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750w  B2

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15. 3 Intake Fans, 2 Outtake

Case: Fractal Design Define R6

If you have to ask, you shouldn't be opening a PSU. They're one of the few things I've come across which aren't BS'ing when the warning label says:

"DO NOT REMOVE COVER - NO USER SERVICEABLE PARTS INSIDE". 

Just now, ShadowCaptain said:

100000% not recommended, opening up a PSU can literally kill you, plus if ANYTHING goes wrong you could fry your whole pc (like a bad solder or something)

Honestly power supplies are not expensive, its easier, safer, and not expensive to just buy a good one

I'm aware that working with a PSU is dangerous and can kill me, I learned the hard way as a kid that electricity is not a toy and I got extremely lucky that I wasn't seriously injured. I am also aware that installing the wrong componants or componants in the wrong orentation can result in me frying my computer. I probably should have stated this before.

I was only curious if better componants would improve the reliably of a powersupply or not bacause of how they are designed.

Just now, UnbrokenMotion said:

I was only curious if better componants would improve the reliably of a powersupply or not bacause of how they are designed.

yes it would , example using better capacitors

however unless you replace every component, there will always be a weak link in the chain, so while for example upgrading the capacitors might stop the caps being blown, other components might cause issues too

plus its not too simple to just open up and replace bits, and getting hold of parts would be difficult too

I doubt anybody would consider it worth it, even if its technically possible on a level

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Just now, ShadowCaptain said:

yes it would , example using better capacitors

however unless you replace every component, there will always be a weak link in the chain, so while for example upgrading the capacitors might stop the caps being blown, other components might cause issues too

plus its not too simple to just open up and replace bits, and getting hold of parts would be difficult too

I doubt anybody would consider it worth it, even if its technically possible on a level

It's definitely possible, and should I replace any componants I plan to replace as many as I possibly can. Alot of componants are easy enough to get, but I believe a transformer may be where I run into troubles sourcing parts.

8 minutes ago, UnbrokenMotion said:

It's definitely possible, and should I replace any componants I plan to replace as many as I possibly can. Alot of componants are easy enough to get, but I believe a transformer may be where I run into troubles sourcing parts.

I 100% do not recommend even thinking about

if you need a new PSU, go and buy one

6 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Don't worry, I don't actually plan to do this. If I do try and do this I'll find someone who can train me how to safely work with dangerously high voltages first.

Like I said before, I learned the hard way and I am extremely lucky to not be seriously injured

11 minutes ago, UnbrokenMotion said:

It's definitely possible, and should I replace any components I plan to replace as many as I possibly can. A Lot of components are easy enough to get, but I believe a transformer may be where I run into troubles sourcing parts.

I replaced the main caps in my cx600m with some nichicons. The only reason I did it was because it was a rainy day and i wanted something to do. There was zero improvement over the stock caps in voltage output stability. 

3 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

This. Unless you want to experiment, and thus possibly destroy your psu / comp, just buy a new one.

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit