The Ultimate Balance between Case Function and Aesthetics

This generalized description could easily be posted in the "New Builds and Planning" forum, and I get that. But the main mental debate that's eating at me is case selection (at the moment) so that's why I'm putting this topic here. 

Right then, so I've been browsing components, binging review videos and build guides, delving through forums, and slowly losing my mind for nearly two months now. In that time, I've learned that PC building is made as easy or as difficult as the builder wants (for the most part). I could easily look at a recommended build guide and say "Yeah, I'd like to have that," and then build an exact replica and have that be my own personal computer, but it's not PERSONAL, you know?

Granted, buying a manufacturer's case isn't technically "personal" either, but there's a line of rationality to be drawn between people who build computers with a passion and people (like me) who do so simply because it's how you get the best price/performance ratio (for the most part) and plus you get a LOT of customization options and upgradability options that you would otherwise either not have or be heavily restricted on with a pre-built system. That said, I would want my components to be within that middle-ground of having a number of functions that I would actually take advantage of while also maintaining that visually appealing aesthetic that really synergizes with everything else and truly creates an artistic masterpiece. "But Fudo, this is PC building, not art class, dummy." And I get that. It's a computer, not a sculpture (although if most of the housings for components are a combination of 3D-printed parts, does that make it artificially "sculpted"? Hmm, questions for later)

So, this particular thread regards PC cases and what would be the "best" one for ME. (Though I would also like the results to possibly help other nitpicky people like myself have a general idea of the process of elimination or whatever when it comes to case selection) Price isn't really much of a concern of mine (though I'd really like to shoot for sub $200 if we're being honest), however I know for sure that I'll be in the ATX Mid Tower or Full Tower range. I don't have the absurd funds to fill up an Ultra tower, otherwise I'd probably just shove a bunch of hardware inside a Cosmos II and be done with it. 

The NZXT Switch 810 is probably about as close as I'm going to get when it comes to case design, visual appearance that I don't hate (but don't like, either), features and functions, etc.

Here are the general "wants" for my "dream case" that are dictating my decision-making process:

• White, Silver, White/Black, White/Silver, Gray, Metallic White, Metallic Silver, etc. (basically I don't want an all-black case. Having it as an accent here or there is fine, but I want it to be primarily white to go along with my build scheme) [Using an Asus Z170 Deluxe for the board, so you get my point, yeah?]
  • Generalized front I/O (headphone jack, microphone jack, 2+ USB 2.0, 2+ USB 3.0, Reset switch) HOWEVER with a pre-integrated SD CARD READER (seriously, with how much file transfer I do with those things with cameras and my phone, I'd really like one of those)
  • At least two 5.25" bays for an optical drive (and probably a fan controller or something if one isn't already installed in the case)
  • Optimized for both liquid and air cooling (I'm not really picky about radiator mounting options since I don't see myself doing a liquid-cooled rig for a long time until otherwised convinced to do so)
  • Fan filters at a variety of conceivable intakes (Like how the Switch has two small ones instead of one large one along the bottom of the case, one for the power supply and the other for possibly a bottom-mounted radiator or something [I think, I'm no expert in theoretical computer physics])
  • Modular drive cages with different mounting possibilities and combinations (Like how the Phantom 630 has a few drive cage variants that you can move around or just take out completely based on your possible needs)
  • Tool-less panel removal (for sides, top, front, etc.) [Much like how the Switch 810 has little "clickies" that secure the bottom fan filters, the front panel with the integrated filter, and the top panel that has that handle that opens and closes a vent. option]
  • Ease of internal access (I know this is probably the most non-specific "duh" part of this list, but I have big hands)
  • Solid cable management options (with a lot of rubber grommet holes and stuff as well as a mostly "roomy" space behind the motherboard and drive cages and stuff)
  • Solid case construction (in terms of state of matter, all cases are solid [I mean technically a test bench is a case with panels made of "air"], but I want mine to have some rigidity to the overall construction of it. The 780T is a mostly poor example with the way it bends)

Now, I know this list is mostly generic, but still. It's about as creative as I can get with it. In terms of upgradability I'll one day want to have two 980 Ti G1 Gaming cards from Gigabyte running in SLI, so there's that. My big gripe about Mid Towers is that they're not "roomy" enough, and since I'm air cooling, I'm a little paranoid about the flow of things, so anyone with advice in that regard is welcome to input their knowledge as well.

Here's my component list for what I'll be throwing in initially:

• Intel Quad Core i7 6700K
  • Phanteks PH-TC14_BK (undecided, but pretty sure)
  • Asus Z170 Deluxe ATX Mobo
  • 32 GB (4x8) Corsair Vengeance Dominator LPX Memory
  • Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 drive (will likely just hook it into the M.2 slot on the board, but the PCIe Hyper Kit adapter included with the Z170 Deluxe is another option)
  • (2x) 4TB WD Black HDD
  • Corsair Hx Power Supply (either 850W or 1000W, but I really want that Plat efficiency and I know I'll be doing 2 980 Ti's in SLI later down the road)

I know this was a bit of a novel, but thanks to those who actually read through it and thank you to those who are willing to offer their time to provide their opinions on this matter. Hopefully we can figure things out, yeah?

"You require more irony in your life. Here. Have a glass safe."

1 hour ago, FudoMaster said:

This generalized description could easily be posted in the "New Builds and Planning" forum, and I get that. But the main mental debate that's eating at me is case selection (at the moment) so that's why I'm putting this topic here. 

Right then, so I've been browsing components, binging review videos and build guides, delving through forums, and slowly losing my mind for nearly two months now. In that time, I've learned that PC building is made as easy or as difficult as the builder wants (for the most part). I could easily look at a recommended build guide and say "Yeah, I'd like to have that," and then build an exact replica and have that be my own personal computer, but it's not PERSONAL, you know?

Granted, buying a manufacturer's case isn't technically "personal" either, but there's a line of rationality to be drawn between people who build computers with a passion and people (like me) who do so simply because it's how you get the best price/performance ratio (for the most part) and plus you get a LOT of customization options and upgradability options that you would otherwise either not have or be heavily restricted on with a pre-built system. That said, I would want my components to be within that middle-ground of having a number of functions that I would actually take advantage of while also maintaining that visually appealing aesthetic that really synergizes with everything else and truly creates an artistic masterpiece. "But Fudo, this is PC building, not art class, dummy." And I get that. It's a computer, not a sculpture (although if most of the housings for components are a combination of 3D-printed parts, does that make it artificially "sculpted"? Hmm, questions for later)

So, this particular thread regards PC cases and what would be the "best" one for ME. (Though I would also like the results to possibly help other nitpicky people like myself have a general idea of the process of elimination or whatever when it comes to case selection) Price isn't really much of a concern of mine (though I'd really like to shoot for sub $200 if we're being honest), however I know for sure that I'll be in the ATX Mid Tower or Full Tower range. I don't have the absurd funds to fill up an Ultra tower, otherwise I'd probably just shove a bunch of hardware inside a Cosmos II and be done with it. 

The NZXT Switch 810 is probably about as close as I'm going to get when it comes to case design, visual appearance that I don't hate (but don't like, either), features and functions, etc.

Here are the general "wants" for my "dream case" that are dictating my decision-making process:

• White, Silver, White/Black, White/Silver, Gray, Metallic White, Metallic Silver, etc. (basically I don't want an all-black case. Having it as an accent here or there is fine, but I want it to be primarily white to go along with my build scheme) [Using an Asus Z170 Deluxe for the board, so you get my point, yeah?]
  • Generalized front I/O (headphone jack, microphone jack, 2+ USB 2.0, 2+ USB 3.0, Reset switch) HOWEVER with a pre-integrated SD CARD READER (seriously, with how much file transfer I do with those things with cameras and my phone, I'd really like one of those)
  • At least two 5.25" bays for an optical drive (and probably a fan controller or something if one isn't already installed in the case)
  • Optimized for both liquid and air cooling (I'm not really picky about radiator mounting options since I don't see myself doing a liquid-cooled rig for a long time until otherwised convinced to do so)
  • Fan filters at a variety of conceivable intakes (Like how the Switch has two small ones instead of one large one along the bottom of the case, one for the power supply and the other for possibly a bottom-mounted radiator or something [I think, I'm no expert in theoretical computer physics])
  • Modular drive cages with different mounting possibilities and combinations (Like how the Phantom 630 has a few drive cage variants that you can move around or just take out completely based on your possible needs)
  • Tool-less panel removal (for sides, top, front, etc.) [Much like how the Switch 810 has little "clickies" that secure the bottom fan filters, the front panel with the integrated filter, and the top panel that has that handle that opens and closes a vent. option]
  • Ease of internal access (I know this is probably the most non-specific "duh" part of this list, but I have big hands)
  • Solid cable management options (with a lot of rubber grommet holes and stuff as well as a mostly "roomy" space behind the motherboard and drive cages and stuff)
  • Solid case construction (in terms of state of matter, all cases are solid [I mean technically a test bench is a case with panels made of "air"], but I want mine to have some rigidity to the overall construction of it. The 780T is a mostly poor example with the way it bends)

Now, I know this list is mostly generic, but still. It's about as creative as I can get with it. In terms of upgradability I'll one day want to have two 980 Ti G1 Gaming cards from Gigabyte running in SLI, so there's that. My big gripe about Mid Towers is that they're not "roomy" enough, and since I'm air cooling, I'm a little paranoid about the flow of things, so anyone with advice in that regard is welcome to input their knowledge as well.

• Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 drive (will likely just hook it into the M.2 slot on the board, but the PCIe Hyper Kit adapter included with the Z170 Deluxe is another option)
  • (2x) 4TB WD Black HDD
  • Corsair Hx Power Supply (either 850W or 1000W, but I really want that Plat efficiency and I know I'll be doing 2 980 Ti's in SLI later down the road)

I know this was a bit of a novel, but thanks to those who actually read through it and thank you to those who are willing to offer their time to provide their opinions on this matter. Hopefully we can figure things out, yeah?

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=94093

3 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

I looked into that one. I know it's a bit too much of a gripe, but the asymmetry of the top panel design as well as the questionable airflow for the front are big minuses for me. Plus there don't seem to be any 5.25" bays. Thanks for the suggestion, though! 

I looked into that one. I know it's a bit too much of a gripe, but the asymmetry of the top panel design as well as the questionable airflow for the front are big minuses for me. Plus there don't seem to be any 5.25" bays. Thanks for the suggestion, though! 

could by external drive. they arnt too much of a hassle.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352048&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Cases+%28Computer+Cases+-+ATX+Form%29-_-N82E16811352048&gclid=Cj0KEQiAvJS3BRDd44fjndyii6MBEiQAN4EkPbcW1GrjaSksnHEcQALRCMufpyW74en8tjwgHvMTV7IaAhTk8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

can always do a custom paint job to add white in

1 hour ago, jcw150 said:

If you are gonna really want all the things on this list you could build your own case?

how exactly do you build your own case?

Just now, ZeusXI said:

It's not easy but some guy called DIY perks did it and put it on YouTube and it was awesome. Other people have done it too but I can't think of any off the top of my head. 

Phanteks Enthoo Primo is quite similar to the switch 810 aesthetically and it has all the room you could want for future upgrade-ability.

i7 4790K | MSI Z97S Krait | Gigabyte 980ti Gaming G1 SLI |  2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury | Samsung 850 Pro 1TB + WD Black 4TB | EVGA Supernova P2 1200 | Phanteks Enthoo Primo (White)| Dell P2715Q x2 | Corsiar K70 | Corsair M95 | Full Custom Loop CPU + GPUs 

26 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

Not too hard if you have the experience and proper equipment. I build my own PC chassis all the time.

-snip

Have you looked into something like the Corsair 750D Airflow edition and then just painting it to match your color scheme to truly "make it yours"?  I just picked up the case myself and I am literally in love with it.  My only complaint is the lack of a bottom fan filter but I found one online for only $8.

R9 5900X | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | ASUS Crosshair VIII DarkHero | EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 | 2x 1TB WD Black SN850 | Lian Li O11D-XL | Corsair AX1200i

5 hours ago, Mattyp92 said:

Have you looked into something like the Corsair 750D Airflow edition and then just painting it to match your color scheme to truly "make it yours"?  I just picked up the case myself and I am literally in love with it.  My only complaint is the lack of a bottom fan filter but I found one online for only $8.

5 hours ago, byalexandr said:

Not too hard if you have the experience and proper equipment. I build my own PC chassis all the time.

See, my problem with building my own case and/or just re-painting a manufactured case is my lack of knowledge/experience/proper-setup to do such things. I'm just a giant with a desk (6'7" I don't know if that makes me bigger than Luke or not, but yeah). Not much going for me in the creative garage/workshop department, honestly. It's why I mentioned the whole "rationale between hardcore builder and filthy casual (like me)" thing.

That said, the 750D AF Ed. is VERY impressive. It doesn't quite offer that compromise that I'm looking for, but I must say if air cooling is your game and you want very fair-quality fans right out of the box, the 750D_AF is a very solid choice for other people looking for similar features.

On 3/14/2016 at 11:13 PM, FudoMaster said:

• (2x) 4TB WD Black HDD

http://hexus.net/tech/news/chassis/90818-aerocool-dream-box-150-diy-pc-chassis-construction-kit/

If you want custom, here is custom. All it needs are side panels, and your golden