CPU overheat = consequences ?

Today, my computer shut down because of a CPU overheat. The CPU's fan did not work and I know it worked yesterday. I played video games for 2 hours or so before the shutdown. I know the shut down is a safety and my CPU seems to work properly (I replaced the fan). But do you think it could damage the CPU somehow or reduce his lifespan ? I mean, it's just 2 hours. Is thermal failure always bad ? I have a 6600k and I think it was hotter than 80°C but I don't know exactly how much.

heat = death of components

it meens they will die faster and slow down

your pc ran for 2 hours without a fan while gaming? wow

umm,, what cpu is it and what temp did it reach..

did windows actualy shut down or did the pc completly turn off

check your motherboard and see what its warning temps are before it gets involved

As long as it doesn't happen again you should be fine. I've had some scary moment with my overclocking recently xD

Hope this helps :P

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

Modern CPU's will shut themselves down before any damage occurs to the chip so your CPU is fine, try reseating the cooler, scaling back any overclocks, and making sure you have enough thermal paste.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's