Cities: Skylines Using 16GB of RAM

theninja35

Welcome.

Recently, I've been playing Cities: Skylines again, and I've decided to download mods. I decided to see if anything was "in the way", though, in terms of programs using CPU power/RAM, and I noticed that C:S was using almost 100% of my RAM, which is beyond ridiculous. I've only got about 400 mods/assets in the game, whereas I've seen people with 8-16GB of RAM running 1000 assets smoothly, for example, see:

Spoiler

So, my question is, is there some way to stop C:S from using so much RAM, or is there possibly something wrong with my current RAM? Do I really need to get another 8-16GB of RAM so that C:S stops using it all? Thanks.

1 minute ago, theninja35 said:

Welcome.

Recently, I've been playing Cities: Skylines again, and I've decided to download mods. I decided to see if anything was "in the way", though, in terms of programs using CPU power/RAM, and I noticed that C:S was using almost 100% of my RAM, which is beyond ridiculous. I've only got about 400 mods/assets in the game, whereas I've seen people with 8-16GB of RAM running 1000 assets smoothly, for example, see:

Hidden Content

So, my question is, is there some way to stop C:S from using so much RAM, or is there possibly something wrong with my current RAM? Do I really need to get another 8-16GB of RAM so that C:S stops using it all? Thanks.

I think it could be memory leak with one of the mods, not even GTA 5 using that much ram xD.

Hope this helps :P

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

3 minutes ago, ProKeero said:

I think it could be memory leak with one of the mods, not even GTA 5 using that much ram xD.

Hope this helps :P

I've thought the same thing, but don't know how to determine that or fix it.

Just now, huilun02 said:

If the amount of extra VRAM they take exceeds the disk space they take, its obvious one of them is causing problems.

I'm not following here. I don't know how much VRAM it is taking, only RAM.

Just now, theninja35 said:

I've thought the same thing, but don't know how to determine that or fix it.

I'm not following here. I don't know how much VRAM it is taking, only RAM.

Try running the game with no mods then keep on adding more and more mods until you find the one with the leak. 

Hope you get your problem fixed soon :P

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

Just now, huilun02 said:

Ah yes I meant RAM.

You gona have to disable all mods and turn them on one by one to find the culprit.

Ohhhhhhh my Goooooooooooood. Do I really?

Just now, ProKeero said:

Try running the game with no mods then keep on adding more and more mods until you find the one with the leak. 

Hope you get your problem fixed soon :P

Thanks, but see my response to huilun :P

7 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

Welcome.

Hidden Content

Did you said you were running 400 mods/assets in the game? There is no bug or something. The problem is that C:S is using to much mods, and that requires a lot of ram to keep up. You should uninstall some mods.

Ohhhhhhh my Goooooooooooood. Do I really?

Thanks, but see my response to huilun :P

Lol i see

12 minutes ago, Dewam said:

Did you said you were running 400 mods/assets in the game? There is no bug or something. The problem is that C:S is using to much mods, and that requires a lot of ram to keep up. You should uninstall some mods.

I've seen the same answers on several posts, but I am always seeing videos with 1000+ assets running just fine.

I've seen the same answers on several posts, but I am always seeing videos with 1000+ assets running just fine.

Are you sure those people dont have like 128gb of ram? xD

No, but seriously. 1000 mods and assets takes up a lot of processor power and memory.

2 minutes ago, Dewam said:

Are you sure those people dont have like 128gb of ram? xD

No, but seriously. 1000 mods and assets takes up a lot of processor power and memory.

Yeah, you're right, I have no idea how much RAM they actually have. I'll go through all the mods again and see what I actually use.

11 hours ago, theninja35 said:

After some quick testing, it seems that Network Extensions Project is my issue. It uses 3GB more of my RAM than other mods/groups of mods.

Doesn't surprise me, the most useful mod... I was testing and with a 110 000 pop city with probably 200 +assets I was using 11GB's of ram. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

8 hours ago, Imabigmac said:

Doesn't surprise me, the most useful mod... I was testing and with a 110 000 pop city with probably 200 +assets I was using 11GB's of ram. 

Yeah, well if you disable most of the roads, the game uses a lot less. They also posted something in the Steam Workshop saying that they are working on optimizing it.