freesync question

mhonor

I have a question. I understand that freesync eliminates screen tear when the GPU's FPS drops lower than the monitor's refresh rate, but in cases where the GPU is faster than the monitor, does this also produce tearing?

Say I have a 75hz freesync monitor; If I were playing a game in which my GPU could do 100fps, does freesync just cap the fps at 75? Sorry if this is obvious. 

1 minute ago, mhonor said:

I have a question. I understand that freesync eliminates screen tear when the GPU's FPS drops lower than the monitor's refresh rate, but in cases where the GPU is faster than the monitor, does this also produce tearing?

Say I have a 75hz freesync monitor; If I were playing a game in which my GPU could do 100fps, does freesync just cap the fps at 75? Sorry if this is obvious. 

yeah, it just caps it

Freesync indicates a range, if it gives one number its usually the top end. so the monitor can output as low as 40htz (for example) and as high as 75Htz depending on what rate your GPU is outputting frames.:)

On 3/13/2016 at 8:36 PM, Bajantechnician said:

yeah, it just caps it

It doesn't just cap it, it eliminates screen tearing so a 75hz freesync monitor would probably be better than a 100hz normal one.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

18 minutes ago, Beeeyeee said:

Freesync indicates a range, if it gives one number its usually the top end. so the monitor can output as low as 40htz (for example) and as high as 75Htz depending on what rate your GPU is outputting frames.:)

Ok, I realize what my question is now. With a 120hz or 144hz monitor, if your GPU does not exceed 120/140fps, will screen tearing still occur?

Edited by mhonor

26 minutes ago, mhonor said:

You can set it to behave however you want. You can have it cap your fps at the max refresh rate, or allow it to go above (and deal with tearing) if you want.

1 minute ago, Glenwing said:

You can set it to behave however you want. You can have it cap your fps at the max refresh rate, or allow it to go above (and deal with tearing) if you want.

Thanks everyone. Can you help with my second question above? 

2 minutes ago, mhonor said:

Thanks everyone. Can you help with my second question above? 

With recent drivers, it simply doubles frames, it will show every frame twice and continue going down without tearing. Effectively FreeSync goes down to 0Hz now, like G-Sync does.

Sorry for not being clear. My question now is: 

With a standard, non-freesync 120hz or 144hz monitor, if your GPU does not exceed 120/140fps will screen tearing still occur?

8 minutes ago, mhonor said:

With a standard, non-freesync 120hz or 144hz monitor, if your GPU does not exceed 120/140fps will screen tearing still occur?

Yes, it will.

But given that monitor is driving at quite high refresh rate. The tearing is less visible compared to when you see tearing in 60Hz monitor.

This is why some 144Hz GSync monitor owner said they don't even need GSync when the panel is driving at 144Hz.

56 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

It doesn't just cap it, it eliminates screen tearing so a 75hz freesync monitor would probably be better than a 100hz normal one.

does not change the fact it caps it

2 hours ago, mhonor said:

Ok, I realize what my question is now. With a 120hz or 144hz monitor, if your GPU does not exceed 120/140fps, will screen tearing still occur?

not that I know of but your monitor will still keep displaying images at 144Htz.. and if your graphics card is putting out say 75Htz, 144 isn't divisible by 75 so it'll be displaying the same image multiple times and creating a feeling of lag or disorientation. basically, if its Freesync/Gsync get the range in which your graphics card can output (or dip). but if its a standard 60, 75, 144htz, etc ;make sure your graphics card can constantly output OVER that amount. especially if you have V-Sync turned on. because, I learned recently, Vsync will run your monitor at 60HTz (for a 60HTz Panel) but if your graphics card is kicking out under 60fps, it'll cut that in half to 30Htz. thats why it feels so much more laggy.

hope that made sense.

12 hours ago, mhonor said:

Yes, tearing can occur at any frame rate, it's just more common when above the monitor's refresh frequency.