Screenfetch 3.7 in Debian?

Go to solution Solved by AdmiralDerp,
6 minutes ago, steezemageeze said:

So where should I extract the .zip for that to? Or do I have to use dpkg? This is my first day using Debian and I'm used to Manjaro so I'm not really sure how that works. 

Extract screenfetch-dev from the zip file into your home directory, then do

sudo mv ~/screenfetch-dev /usr/bin/screenfetch
sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/screenfetch

Then just run it from the terminal like you'd normally would. Make sure to remove the old version first if you have it already installed.

sudo apt-get purge screenfetch

The version of screenFetch in the Debian repository, 3.6.5 has issues detecting the GTK theme, icon theme, and font, and just for sanity's sake I want to get it updated to 3.7 so that those fields show up. Do I just need to download it from GitHub or can I force it to update?

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

The easiest thing to do would be download the newest version from GitHub. 3.6.5 is the newest version in Jessie repositories. To "force" an update, you'd have to switch over to Stretch (testing) or Sid (unstable) repositories.

3 minutes ago, AdmiralDerp said:

The easiest thing to do would be download the newest version from GitHub. 3.6.5 is the newest version in Jessie repositories. To "force" an update, you'd have to switch over to Stretch (testing) or Sid (unstable) repositories.

So where should I extract the .zip for that to? Or do I have to use dpkg? This is my first day using Debian and I'm used to Manjaro so I'm not really sure how that works. 

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

6 minutes ago, steezemageeze said:

Extract screenfetch-dev from the zip file into your home directory, then do

sudo mv ~/screenfetch-dev /usr/bin/screenfetch
sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/screenfetch

Then just run it from the terminal like you'd normally would. Make sure to remove the old version first if you have it already installed.

sudo apt-get purge screenfetch

2016-03-12-224736_1280x800_scrot.png.385

Boom, it works! thanks @AdmiralDerp, my OCD is happy now. You're a lifesaver

Just now, steezemageeze said:

Boom, it works! thanks @AdmiralDerp, my OCD is happy now. You're a lifesaver

Glad to hear. Quick tip though, if you use

screenfetch -s

it will automatically run scrot, so you don't need to run it as a separate command.

1 minute ago, AdmiralDerp said:

Glad to hear. Quick tip though, if you use

screenfetch -s

it will automatically run scrot, so you don't need to run it as a separate command.

I knew that, just didn't think of it because I was worried about making sure it worked first. Thanks though!