Gah! Hate 60FPS!

iamdarkyoshi

So I have LG 24GM7 monitors which support backlight strobing at 120Hz only. Apparently. At least that is the only framerate I can enable it at.

I am trying to play bit trip runner 2 which has a freaking gameplay FPS limit of 60hz, and with vsync off or any framerate that is not 60hz, it stutters really badly.

Why?

Because the gameplay is limited to 60hz. On-screen elements and stuff are only updated by the physics engine 60 times a second, so pushing anything other than 60hz results in frames being doubled

If you have not seen bit trip runner 2, it is a fast paced side scrolling game where timing is CRUCIAL.

Spoiler

Bit trip runner 1 but you get the idea

tumblr_ml5hmwXiZf1qzp9weo1_500.gif

So I was hoping to make it as blur free as possible using the motion 240 thing. But I can't. 

These are my first gaming monitors and all I have really tried as far as settings are concerned is setting contrasts and stuff to middle, colors to middle, backlighting to full brightness, etc.

TL;DR

With the game running at 60Hz what can I do to make the game look the best? Aside from sending the devs a shitload of cash?

blud

it sounds like your pc isnt capable of running a solid 60 fps

so why do u want more

Just now, El Diablo said:

blud

so why do u want more

I can push out over 300 if I disable vsync, but the GAMEPLAY is capped at 60. I just want 60 to look as smooth as I can.

blud

so why do u want more

His computer can handle it..

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Your profile pic is terrifying the shit out of me.

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

then why is it stuttering?

Because the gameplay is limited to 60hz. On-screen elements and stuff are only updated by the physics engine 60 times a second, so pushing anything other than 60hz results in frames being doubled

Sounds like that game is a poorly coded mess where timing is actually dependent on frames and not a clock, and so must be run at a locked 60 fps. If it slows when it stutters instead of dropping frames, this is definitely the case, which means there's no way of getting more than 60 fps.

1 minute ago, Lotus said:

Sounds like that game is a poorly coded mess where timing is actually dependent on frames and not a clock, and so must be run at a locked 60 fps.

Yup. With my monitors, backlight strobing a game that supports 120FPS looks smoother than non strobed. But these monitors do not seem to support 60.

1 minute ago, BallisticPeanut said:

Sounds like its more of an issue with Monitor, not the game. 

Its a first world problem honestly. The game runs fine at 60hz on the monitor set to 60hz, but 60hz is not enough for a game like this

3 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

then why is it stuttering?

because the monitor is stobbing at 120hz, so its creating stutters, because its limited to 60fps

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Its a first world problem honestly. The game runs fine at 60hz on the monitor set to 60hz, but 60hz is not enough for a game like this

At least you acknowledge that it's a first world problem :D.

I'd just be happy that it's not locked to 30fps like VVVVVV.  That games is cool, but I cannot get past some of the levels with that enormous delay.

7 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I can push out over 300 if I disable vsync, but the GAMEPLAY is capped at 60. I just want 60 to look as smooth as I can.

then turn on vsync

1 minute ago, Clear17Mud said:

because the monitor is stobbing at 120hz, so its creating stutters, because its limited to 60fps

Well, the monitor without strobing still stutters. It is because the game only updates 60 times a second, and if the monitor is not perfectly matches, some frames show twice (or in the case of 120hz, each one shows twice and with the strobing, I get the effect of two images next to each other)

then turn on vsync

6 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

if vsync stops it at 60fps

then your monitor is 60fps

the other frames are fake and created by the monitor which is why it looks like shit

turn on vsync or get the games devs to address the situation 

1 minute ago, El Diablo said:

if vsync stops it at 60fps

then your monitor is 60fps

the other frames are fake and created by the monitor which is why it looks like shit

60hz game + 60hz monitor = no stutter

vsync off + any framerate on the monitor = stuttering and tearing

or change the monitors settings

my tv is 60hz/800hz

i have options where it fills the 60-800hz ,itc called sony motionflow

if i set it to smooth it creates the fake frames nicely

however its always turned off for gaming

1 minute ago, El Diablo said:

turn on vsync or get the games devs to address the situation 

It would basically require a rewrite of most of the game

I have already contacted the devs and they said that it would be far too much work

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

It would basically require a rewrite of most of the game

I have already contacted the devs and they said that it would be far too much work

then tell them to **** *** and give your ************ money back *****

If the game is coded to function perfectly at 60fps, nothing you can do will change that. Accept that the master race has failed you and move on.

3 minutes ago, Virtual01 said:

If the game is coded to function perfectly at 60fps, nothing you can do will change that. Accept that the master race has failed you and move on.

If I had some way of doing either frame interpolation or 60hz backlight strobing, it would improve. But I cant see how to do either of those