Creating a portfolio website

So I'm a computer science student, graduating next year but currently looking for internships and what not. CV/resume's are boring so I thought why not polish up my CSS/HTML skills and create a portfolio website for myself (haven't created a website in years).

Been thinking about a good design for a while, but after about an hour or so, I got somewhere. I like the design, but I don't really know if it would appeal to a company in a computer science field. The plan is to make it an interactive website. Took me a while to find a background image that isn't random as hell.

What's your guys opinion? Obviously it's not finished, still a loooong way away, but I'll follow a similar theme throughout depending on opinions.

Scribbled my name out for confidentiality.

Any criticism welcome! If you think you have a better background image that's more related to my field, do let me know!

example.png

"The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."

CPU: Intel i5 4690K - Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP - 2x4GB @ 1866Mhz - GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 4GB - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed (with Red AKASA Led Strips) - Display: Benq GL2460HM 24" Monitor

So much red...

Your social media icons are low quality and aren't aligned properly, and your navigation looks like it may be off a bit as well, though that could just be my eyes.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

Just now, Kevin_Walter said:

So much red...

Your social media icons are low quality and aren't aligned properly, and your navigation looks like it make be off a bit as well, though that could just be my eyes.

Hi.

Thanks for the feedback - social media icons are a placeholder till I find better quality ones. They are off, I can;t find images of the same size, so may need to fix them up myself. Do you think I should change the tint to a different colour? The navigation seems fine to me

CPU: Intel i5 4690K - Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP - 2x4GB @ 1866Mhz - GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 4GB - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed (with Red AKASA Led Strips) - Display: Benq GL2460HM 24" Monitor

try introducing a different color scheme. The are plenty of websites which offer you the ability to see color schemes. Heck if anything copy apples theme 

4 minutes ago, Tazman192 said:

Hi.

Thanks for the feedback - social media icons are a placeholder till I find better quality ones. They are off, I can;t find images of the same size, so may need to fix them up myself. Do you think I should change the tint to a different colour? The navigation seems fine to me

http://findicons.com/

https://www.iconfinder.com/

Sites like those can help.

As for the red... no. Just use less of it. Personally, I would change the navigation bar and footer to a dark grey (almost black) color. Not unlike the header for this site...

Color is always nice, but you need some contrast. You don't want to assault your visitor's eyes with a screen full of red as soon as they load the page.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

6 minutes ago, Kevin_Walter said:

http://findicons.com/

https://www.iconfinder.com/

Sites like those can help.

As for the red... no. Just use less of it. Personally, I would change the navigation bar and footer to a dark grey (almost black) color. Not unlike the header for this site...

Color is always nice, but you need some contrast. You don't want to assault your visitor's eyes with a screen full of red as soon as they load the page.

Thanks for the tips. Going to go to bed now, will work on this as soon as I get time and post the changes. Appreciate the suggestions :)

No problemo.

8 minutes ago, Jstone said:

try introducing a different color scheme. The are plenty of websites which offer you the ability to see color schemes. Heck if anything copy apples theme 

Do you mean the option for multiple schemes or just a new colour scheme altogether? I've increased the opacity of the original image so it's not so tinted red anymore, here's an update:

@Kevin_Walter what do you think of it also?

98d7fd2795a4048ce834922410b86d9d.jpg

It's an improvement.

1 hour ago, Tazman192 said:

Do you mean the option for multiple schemes or just a new colour scheme altogether? I've increased the opacity of the original image so it's not so tinted red anymore, here's an update:

@Kevin_Walter what do you think of it also?

98d7fd2795a4048ce834922410b86d9d.jpg

it seems really buisy and still hurts the eyes