RAID card recommendation

19 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Ah, it might be 4U compatible, but dual CPU socket clearance is kind of iffy (Especially with push/pull fans). Well, it hope it works out well for you. Hopefully you can post it when it's built and join the LTT Petabyte club. haha.

I actually didn't consider the space both coolers would need, swabbed it for the NH-D9DX i4, which is about the same dimensions as the actual socket, so I should be able to sort something out for it. I do want to keep a fairly big cooler as I plan on doing some video rendering on this, 24 threads should make light work of my airsoft footage :P

33 minutes ago, Yatys 93 said:

No they won't

At the moment I am just using an extra drive in my gaming tower as my backup, as I am living away from home for my nursing training, once I move back home, I have a couple of techie freinds who all want to move out of their parents house, we are going to rent a house and put a server cabinet in a spare room, then run wires to where they are needed.

the only networking gear that will be in my room is this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OZCFVVC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1O07UI3BDTGZB&coliid=I3R7T5R8YHX72U

which will go in a little 4U cabinet under the desk, and incase your curious I do not need anywhere near 28 slots, but I can't find anything better that still has the 10gb port, I only need the one of those too, as the server its self will have the 10gb switch in the room with it, them I'll run cables to both this switch and directly to my gaming tower.

I think the list is done for now :D http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Qdgmyc

Thanks again!

Are you using that Switch as a 10Gbit Switching backplane? How many devices will be plugged into it? Will there be a second switch with 10Gbit in the server room? Does the server itself have a 10Gbit NIC? I'm just trying to understand the layout of your Network.

If I understand correctly, it goes like this:

Server -> 10Gbit NIC -> 10Gbit Switch in Server Room -> 10Gbit Switch in Bedroom -> 1Gbit lines to devices (PC's, etc)

Is that correct?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Are you using that Switch as a 10Gbit Switching backplane? How many devices will be plugged into it? Will there be a second switch with 10Gbit in the server room? Does the server itself have a 10Gbit NIC? I'm just trying to understand the layout of your Network.

If I understand correctly, it goes like this:

Server -> 10Gbit NIC -> 10Gbit Switch in Server Room -> 10Gbit Switch in Bedroom -> 1Gbit lines to devices (PC's, etc)

Is that correct?

pretty much, in the server room there will be 2 servers, as I want to get this sorted, and my friend already has one. also in there will be a full 12 port 10gb switch ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BWBLL6S/ref=twister_B016MWTBHM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 )

which will connect the servers, there will also be 1 or 2 cables going to each bed room depending on what each person wants to do, for example I am putting a 10gb card in my gaming tower, which will connect directly to the 10gb switch in the other room, and one 10gb cable going into the switch in my room so a few devices can work at once, say backing up a laptop, my lan rig and watching a film off of the server on my smart TV.

43 minutes ago, Yatys 93 said:

I actually didn't consider the space both coolers would need, swabbed it for the NH-D9DX i4, which is about the same dimensions as the actual socket, so I should be able to sort something out for it. I do want to keep a fairly big cooler as I plan on doing some video rendering on this, 24 threads should make light work of my airsoft footage :P

I hope to see that thing crunching video. I have a Xeon E5-2695V3 (14 core, 28 thread) and it just laughs at anything I make it do (regular tasks). It only does basic file storage at the moment, so the Xeon sleeps most of the time. haha.