So I dropped a PC with a hyper 212 EVO...

DebatED Nothing

So, recently I've been moving my computer quite often (4-5 times in a week) between two houses because of some complicated family stuff and the fact that I need to do work every evening at the moment, anyway, one time I dropped it from about 25 cm (about 10 inches) on to a carpeted floor. I thought not much of it after opening it up to check there was no obvious damage. The next evening I'm playing some dota with friends and 2 minutes into the game my computer just shuts off immediately. No warning, no blue screen, no drop in performance prior to it shutting down. Weird I think, I turn it back on and it happens again when I re-launch dota. This happens a few times that evening, so I check my CPU temps (a friend had had a very similar issue because his Linux installation wasn't handling thermal throttling so his FX 8350 would just shut down randomly unless he underclocks it) and low and behold they're awful (60 at idle, 90 under any load, and crashing under decent load). Something is very wrong, I expect to open up the case and find a screw pulled out of my 212 EVO mount or something like that but it seems fine, so I take it off. And what I saw was horrifying.

Normally the contact plate of a 212 EVO looks like this:

MH_frPYLh0Jw.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

The contact surface is made of the 4 heatpipes, flattened on one side. In mine it looked more like this:

tS7xrvL.jpg

NOTE THIS PICTURE IS NOT MINE, I DID NOT STILL HAVE THE PLASTIC ON THE COOLER.

Not good. The CPU was only really contacting 1 heatpipe well. However, after covering it with some foamboard to protect the surface, and giving it a few taps with a hammer, it seems alright. I may still RMA it if it plays up again, but for now it lives. Moral of the story: don't drop PCs, especially if you have a large or tall CPU cooler...

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

You're a more daring man than I. I wouldn't chance a CPU to a damaged heatsink. Especially not an 8350. Unless I wanted to roast smores. Then I'd chance an 8350 with a broken heatsink. But I'd do it outdoors. You know, in a campfire pit. :D

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just now, aisle9 said:

You're a more daring man than I. I wouldn't chance a CPU to a damaged heatsink. Especially not an 8350. Unless I wanted to roast smores. Then I'd chance an 8350 with a broken heatsink. But I'd do it outdoors. You know, in a campfire pit. :D

Please, they're not that bad. I ran it with the stock cooler for about 5 months when I first built this system.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

I'm assuming that's not actually your pic, and you weren't actually running it with that plastic sticker on?

Just now, Sakkura said:

I'm assuming that's not actually your pic, and you weren't actually running it with that plastic sticker on?

Neither of the pictures are mine, they're just from google.

Just now, DebatED Nothing said:

Please, they're not that bad. I ran it with the stock cooler for about 5 months when I first built this system.

Stock cooler > no cooler. I'm joking about the possibility of finding out the hard way that your damaged cooler is the equivalent of not having one...on an 8350.

Just now, Naeaes said:

RMA? Claiming that intolerance for dropping it is a factory defect?

See the trick is you don't say why it's bent/broken, just that it is. They don't tend to ask questions.

1. Dont RMA that is your fault

2. Cooler master only has warranty for the fan not the heatsink.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

4 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

2. Cooler master only has warranty for the fan not the heatsink.

"All products from Cooler Master at least carry 1 year warranty from the date of purchase, with the exception of power supply units which carry a 2-5year warranty. If no proof of purchase can be presented upon request, Cooler Master cannot be held responsible for warranty service." From the corsair website.

"All products from Cooler Master at least carry 1 year warranty from the date of purchase, with the exception of power supply units which carry a 2-5year warranty. If no proof of purchase can be presented upon request, Cooler Master cannot be held responsible for warranty service." From the corsair website.

That's only for manufacture defects and not physical damage. 

http://www.coolermaster.com/service/warranty.html

go down to section 9

Cooling (FAN only and Electrical components)

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

7 minutes ago, DebatED Nothing said:

See the trick is you don't say why it's bent/broken, just that it is. They don't tend to ask questions.

That's kinda shady.

Also, Cooler Master does watch these forums. I'm sure that when some guy from Hertfordshire, England, writes in saying that his heatsink magically doesn't work, they'll have a pretty good idea of who it is.

if you are daring you could hit the pipe back in with a hammer. you could always try to use some small c clamps and slowly put it back. 

or you could just be safe and buy a new one.

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

5 minutes ago, DebatED Nothing said:

Yup. I know. I've worked for a tech retailer as an RMA handler. Let me tell you, they know. They know exactly what happened. A chunk of copper and aluminum doesn't just up and stop working. :) This is exactly why you guys pay such a steep price for simple consumer electronics.

1 minute ago, thekeemo said:

-snip-

Damn.

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

That's kinda shady.

Also, Cooler Master does watch these forums. I'm sure that when some guy from Hertfordshire, England, writes in saying that his heatsink magically doesn't work, they'll have a pretty good idea of who it is.

I'd miss the £60 for a new cooler much more than CM would. I never lie about what caused damage. I just don't volunteer the information, if they ask for it I give it and then the ball's in their court.

Just now, FatPenguin said:

or you could just be safe and buy a new one.

I might buy an AOI liquid cooler at some point.

I cant see the second photo of the broken heat sink can you some how fix that or describe it to me

Just now, RazorStorm said:

I cant see the second photo of the broken heat sink can you some how fix that or describe it to me

Basically one pipe is flush, but the other three are jutting out of the aluminium backing, and in my case they were also at an angle so one protruded more than the other two.

2 minutes ago, DebatED Nothing said:

I might buy an AOI liquid cooler at some point.

Yes, for an AIO cooler I would recommend a Corsair H100i GTX. I am going to use one in my upcoming build :D

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

23 minutes ago, DebatED Nothing said:

I'm running my 8320@4.2GHZ on the stock cooler for 1.5 years...

It's not bad..