Just got a New Dell T320 but want a GPU Upgrade

Go to solution Solved by RTarson,
On 3/10/2016 at 9:53 AM, dalekphalm said:

When a monitor connected over VGA gets cloudy or has ghosting/shadows, it's because there's too much EMI (Electromagnetic interference). To fix this, you either need a better shielded VGA cable (thicker), or you switch to a digital cable and output like DVI, DisplayPort (DP), or HDMI.

I'll second this, the Windows 8.1 driver should work totally fine. The Dell technician is just covering his ass. He can't officially tell you it's okay to use an "unsupported device" because he could lose his job, even if that unsupported device will still work with 99% certainty.

The OP did say light usage. I'm thinking file server at most.

@RTarson, can you elaborate on what "Server type things" this computer will be doing? If it's actually running as a server (Eg: Active Directory, DNS Server, DHCP Server, Web Server, hell even a file server if you've got more than 1 or 2 users, etc), then @Scheer is 100% correct, and the server should be isolated, and never used as a workstation.

It worked!!!! I got a different GPU then I said I was getting, plus it has 4 display ports to hook up like a 1440p monitor too. I actually purchased a NVS 510 with 2GB. Works fantastic. I got the domain server up and client database all setup. Best server OS and best Server purchase ever! Popped the NVS 510 worked right off the bat. It is a super overkill server now. 

On 3/16/2016 at 8:37 PM, RTarson said:

I got the domain server up

On 3/16/2016 at 8:43 PM, RTarson said:

Person can't screw up anything. Their domain privileges are still restricted even being on the server for a standard user. Trust me I tested it before anyone could use it, I made sure it "idiot proof" meaning that I made it safe so a person can't accidentally load a virus.

If this computer is the domain server, all they have to do is turn it off or restart it to ruin your AD, and cause you a MASSIVE headache. I know from experience... made a standard user on my main home server that runs AD with the thought of using that for management of all my web devices. Ended up crashing Chrome since it hates Server 2012, which crashed the server while AD was doing something, and voila the server wouldn't boot anymore due to corrupted AD. Oddly enough, it couldn't even restore from any of my nightly backups, even going back 6 months. I've had so many issues with my DC that I don't even do updates since they require reboots. When it comes to domain controllers you are pretty much required to have two of them, and they should only be used for DCs. In a small network you are okay running tasks like DNS and DHCP, but from what I've heard you never want to do File Sharing, Work Folders, IIS, etc. Fixing a DC is not fun and pretty much cripples everything that uses the servers for a day or two while you fix it.

In a nutshell, while like dual purposing a file server is taboo, really not much harm can come from it, dual purposing a DC can mean you loose access to everything for days when it breaks and its much more likely to break.

I don't mean to nag, just would hate for someone else have the issues I had and want to give a nice full warning. Sorry if I sound like an ass. :P

On 3/17/2016 at 10:05 PM, Scheer said:

If this computer is the domain server, all they have to do is turn it off or restart it to ruin your AD, and cause you a MASSIVE headache. I know from experience... made a standard user on my main home server that runs AD with the thought of using that for management of all my web devices. Ended up crashing Chrome since it hates Server 2012, which crashed the server while AD was doing something, and voila the server wouldn't boot anymore due to corrupted AD. Oddly enough, it couldn't even restore from any of my nightly backups, even going back 6 months. I've had so many issues with my DC that I don't even do updates since they require reboots. When it comes to domain controllers you are pretty much required to have two of them, and they should only be used for DCs. In a small network you are okay running tasks like DNS and DHCP, but from what I've heard you never want to do File Sharing, Work Folders, IIS, etc. Fixing a DC is not fun and pretty much cripples everything that uses the servers for a day or two while you fix it.

In a nutshell, while like dual purposing a file server is taboo, really not much harm can come from it, dual purposing a DC can mean you loose access to everything for days when it breaks and its much more likely to break.

I don't mean to nag, just would hate for someone else have the issues I had and want to give a nice full warning. Sorry if I sound like an ass. :P

What server did you have?

Plus this server does not have alot of programs/software. It almost stock. It just has essential programs. The user cannot reboot the system. Only a Administrator can.