Just got a New Dell T320 but want a GPU Upgrade

Go to solution Solved by RTarson,
On 3/10/2016 at 9:53 AM, dalekphalm said:

When a monitor connected over VGA gets cloudy or has ghosting/shadows, it's because there's too much EMI (Electromagnetic interference). To fix this, you either need a better shielded VGA cable (thicker), or you switch to a digital cable and output like DVI, DisplayPort (DP), or HDMI.

I'll second this, the Windows 8.1 driver should work totally fine. The Dell technician is just covering his ass. He can't officially tell you it's okay to use an "unsupported device" because he could lose his job, even if that unsupported device will still work with 99% certainty.

The OP did say light usage. I'm thinking file server at most.

@RTarson, can you elaborate on what "Server type things" this computer will be doing? If it's actually running as a server (Eg: Active Directory, DNS Server, DHCP Server, Web Server, hell even a file server if you've got more than 1 or 2 users, etc), then @Scheer is 100% correct, and the server should be isolated, and never used as a workstation.

It worked!!!! I got a different GPU then I said I was getting, plus it has 4 display ports to hook up like a 1440p monitor too. I actually purchased a NVS 510 with 2GB. Works fantastic. I got the domain server up and client database all setup. Best server OS and best Server purchase ever! Popped the NVS 510 worked right off the bat. It is a super overkill server now. 

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

That costs the same as a GT710 (more or less), and offers no benefits or disadvantages over the GT710. The 5450 is pretty much an AMD equivalent of the GT710.

Just now, don_svetlio said:

So you're suggesting: Buy a cheap GPU (You know, like everyone already suggested)? Are you just nitpicking semantics here, or what? Your post of Linus's video seems at odds with your further posts.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

That costs the same as a GT710 (more or less), and offers no benefits or disadvantages over the GT710. The 5450 is pretty much an AMD equivalent of the GT710.

So you're suggesting: Buy a cheap GPU (You know, like everyone already suggested)? Are you just nitpicking semantics here, or what? Your post of Linus's video seems at odds with your further posts.

That one supports eyefinity for the displays

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Just now, don_svetlio said:

Ehhhhh Eyefinity is not necessary for this! In fact, in many cases, Eyefinity is undesirable for desktop activity. It will treat all displays as a big single one, which means program Windows won't maximize to a single monitor, and all the fancy (and super useful) Window snapping features of Windows 7/8.1/10 will be largely useless.

Why would he use Eyefinity in a non-gaming scenario? It would make multi-monitor management more difficult in an office scenario.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Does anyone actually buy from SuperBizz? 

3 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Eyefinity is basically worthless for desktop use. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Ehhhhh Eyefinity is not necessary for this! In fact, in many cases, Eyefinity is undesirable for desktop activity. It will treat all displays as a big single one, which means program Windows won't maximize to a single monitor, and all the fancy (and super useful) Window snapping features of Windows 7/8.1/10 will be largely useless.

Why would he use Eyefinity in a non-gaming scenario? It would make multi-monitor management more difficult in an office scenario.

Not really. And it's something more you get for your money. Having 3 screens function as one makes it a LOT more practical to work with (I have 2 hooked up that way and have experimented). It also allows you to correct certain aspects of the way it handles them.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

Not really. And it's something more you get for your money. Having 3 screens function as one makes it a LOT more practical to work with (I have 2 hooked up that way and have experimented). It also allows you to correct certain aspects of the way it handles them.

Being someone who uses dual monitors every day both at home and at work, I can say for a certainty that Eyefinity would be a detriment for office work.

Can you elaborate on how it is "a LOT more practical"? You haven't provided any logic to back your argument. Having two screens as one big virtual screen in an office work scenario is not, in my opinion, a benefit. You lose the flexibility and multi-tasking grace of two separate monitors. If you're dealing with two monitors in an office, you generally don't want one application to "fullscreen" across both of them. That would be an incredibly niche amount of people that would desire that.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Being someone who uses dual monitors every day both at home and at work, I can say for a certainty that Eyefinity would be a detriment for office work.

Can you elaborate on how it is "a LOT more practical"? You haven't provided any logic to back your argument. Having two screens as one big virtual screen in an office work scenario is not, in my opinion, a benefit. You lose the flexibility and multi-tasking grace of two separate monitors. If you're dealing with two monitors in an office, you generally don't want one application to "fullscreen" across both of them. That would be an incredibly niche amount of people that would desire that.

Some would though and he can easily turn it off. I'm just saying having the option to do so is nice.

7 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Some would though and he can easily turn it off. I'm just saying having the option to do so is nice.

Sure, it's a good consideration. I'm not even saying a 5450 is a bad choice. I'm just saying you immediately called a GT710 "cheap crap", and then recommended something that pretty well everyone would also consider "cheap crap".

Also the chances of Eyefinity being useful are like, 3%, tops.

14 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

The GT710 is a great GPU for your usage.

What? @don_svetlio, that video has no context here. He needs more video outputs, therefore he needs the CHEAPEST GPU he can buy. Linus's video has always been about GAMING performance, or about vs onboard video (when you already have enough necessary outputs).

What would you suggest instead? He waste $150 on a GTX 950 that would be completely and utterly wasted/unutilized?

Agreed.

Ok, I talked to a technician with Dell because after a WS 2012 Update it lost my key, but while on the phone I asked him will it work(adding a GPU). The guy was all he "Oh yeah it most certainly work  for it" but his main concern was power redundancy (which he said can be upgraded) and Driver Support, he said other then that it should work! And he said shouldn't void the warranty. Also, I asked him about the Dedicated VRam like you said it is on the board.

He advised me to give NVidia a call sense it outside dell support, but he said he didn't mind off topic questions because he believes the Dell Support is a flaw. So anyways I need to find a inexpensive GPU with PCIE and a compatible  WS 2012 Driver. Also theirs 1 spot for a 6-pin PCI Express. 

23 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Still doesn't make a difference. 

It does make a difference the VGA doesn't even cast to a 1920x1080 screen, It's really cloudy.

2 minutes ago, RTarson said:

Ok, I talked to a technician with Dell because after a WS 2012 Update it lost my key, but while on the phone I asked him will it work. The guy was all for it but his main concern was power redundancy (which he said can be upgraded) and Driver Support, he said other then that it should work! And he said shouldn't void the warranty. Also yeah I asked him about the Dedicated VRam like you said it is on the board.

He advised me to give NVidia a call sense it outside dell support, but he said he didn't mind off topic questions because he believes the Dell Support is a flaw. So anyways I need to find a inexpensive GPU with PCIE and a compatible  WS 2012 Driver. Also theirs 1 spot for a 6-pin PCI Express. 

It does make a difference the VGA doesn't even cast to a 1920x1080 screen, It's really cloudy.

Can you explain the power redundancy thing? I'm not sure what you're trying to say with that. 

Won't a Windows 8.1 driver work with WS 2012?

I assumed your motherboard had more than one video output (in which case it would be very unlikely that both are VGA).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Can you explain the power redundancy thing? I'm not sure what you're trying to say with that. 

I assumed your motherboard had more than one video output (in which case it would be very unlikely that both are VGA).

I told you one Console output and just a VGA. The Technician told me it only puts out 1280x760 (Something in the bullpark of that Res). I have two 450W PSU. One is for backup in case one PSU goes meaning dies. 

He said if I plan using as a local machine with multiple monitors that I prob should look into buying a GPU.

6 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I asked him that, the Technician said "it very well may work but if Nvidia or WS update comes out and something changes within software or OS it can very well effect the functionality or performance of the GPU(Basically meaning won't work)"

10 minutes ago, RTarson said:

I told you one Console output and just a VGA. The Technician told me it only puts out 1280x760 (Something in the bullpark of that Res). I have two 450W PSU. One is for backup in case one PSU goes meaning dies. 

He said if I plan using as a local machine with multiple monitors that I prob should look into buying a GPU.

Yes, and I acknowledged that a immediatley afterwards when I asked if it had any other video outputs. 

Oh okay, so the redundancy is something that's completely unrelated -- I thought the technician was saying you need some extra form of redundancy because you're going to use a GPU. 

6 minutes ago, RTarson said:

I asked him that, the Technician said "it very well may work but if Nvidia or WS update comes out and something changes within software or OS it can very well effect the functionality or performance of the GPU(Basically meaning won't work)"

Well, then you'll need to go with a Quadro, in which case the NVS 310 is probably the cheapest solution at around $80~ (and two DP outputs).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Yes, and I acknowledged that a immediatley afterwards when I asked if it had any other video outputs. 

Oh okay, so the redundancy is something that's completely unrelated -- I thought the technician was saying you need some extra form of redundancy because you're going to use a GPU. 

Well, then you'll need to go with a Quadro, in which case the NVS 310 is probably the cheapest solution at around $80~ (and two DP outputs).

Yes i typed in Google "Nvidia Windows Server 2012 Driver" and brought me to this Page Looked at supported products and I think that just gave me my shopping list.

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Is PNY a good brand? Never used there products before!

3 minutes ago, RTarson said:

Is PNY a good brand? Never used there products before!

yes

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

yes

Should be able to handle light A360/3D Rendering. It's got 512MB.

I also checkout with a AIG Extended Replacement Service Plan for VGA, just in case 

The GPU also consumes 19.5W so I'm not that concerned. I think the person at dell probably thought I was putting a tesla in.

16 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

yes

Is this PNY card powered only through the PCI E Lane?

I can't believe I'm the first person here to say this...

Get a different computer and put a GPU into that. Then put the T320 into a corner and let the server serve stuff without someone else working on top of it and possibly causing issues.

1 hour ago, RTarson said:

Ok, I talked to a technician with Dell because after a WS 2012 Update it lost my key, but while on the phone I asked him will it work(adding a GPU). The guy was all he "Oh yeah it most certainly work  for it" but his main concern was power redundancy (which he said can be upgraded) and Driver Support, he said other then that it should work! And he said shouldn't void the warranty. Also, I asked him about the Dedicated VRam like you said it is on the board.

When a monitor connected over VGA gets cloudy or has ghosting/shadows, it's because there's too much EMI (Electromagnetic interference). To fix this, you either need a better shielded VGA cable (thicker), or you switch to a digital cable and output like DVI, DisplayPort (DP), or HDMI.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

I'll second this, the Windows 8.1 driver should work totally fine. The Dell technician is just covering his ass. He can't officially tell you it's okay to use an "unsupported device" because he could lose his job, even if that unsupported device will still work with 99% certainty.

45 minutes ago, Scheer said:

Get a different computer and put a GPU into that. Then put the T320 into a corner and let the server serve stuff without someone else working on top of it and possibly causing issues.

@RTarson, can you elaborate on what "Server type things" this computer will be doing? If it's actually running as a server (Eg: Active Directory, DNS Server, DHCP Server, Web Server, hell even a file server if you've got more than 1 or 2 users, etc), then @Scheer is 100% correct, and the server should be isolated, and never used as a workstation.

On 3/10/2016 at 9:53 AM, dalekphalm said:

It worked!!!! I got a different GPU then I said I was getting, plus it has 4 display ports to hook up like a 1440p monitor too. I actually purchased a NVS 510 with 2GB. Works fantastic. I got the domain server up and client database all setup. Best server OS and best Server purchase ever! Popped the NVS 510 worked right off the bat. It is a super overkill server now. 

On 3/10/2016 at 9:03 AM, Scheer said:

Person can't screw up anything. Their domain privileges are still restricted even being on the server for a standard user. Trust me I tested it before anyone could use it, I made sure it "idiot proof" meaning that I made it safe so a person can't accidentally load a virus.

Also just a FYI I didn't have a budget, I just wanted something that won't "lack" I believe the NVS 510 will handle task pretty nicely.