More voltage for my i5 4690k?

Hey Guys,

i have just finished "toying" a bit with the overclock on my I5 4690K. And i got it to a stable 4,8 GHZ at just under 1,3 V.

bench.thumb.PNG.43e27e45469d0ddb67a667ad

Based on the picture of a parallel stresstest of the CPU and GPU do you think i should keep going upping the Voltage to maybe get to 5 GHZ or count my blessings that i won the silicone lottery and just leave it be?

I'm running both stresstests at the same time because i want my computer to be as stable as possible and because both the CPU and GPU are hooked into the same loop.

thx for your suggestions and comments.

2 minutes ago, Seri said:

Hey Guys,

i have just finished "toying" a bit with the overclock on my I5 4690K. And i got it to a stable 4,8 GHZ at just under 1,3 V. 

Hide contents

bench.thumb.PNG.43e27e45469d0ddb67a667ad

Based on the picture of a parallel stresstest of the CPU and GPU do you think i should keep going upping the Voltage to maybe get to 5 GHZ or count my blessings that i won the silicone lottery and just leave it be?

m runing both stresstests at the same time because i want my computer to be as stable as possible and because both the CPU and GPU are hooked into the same loop.

thx for your suggestions and comments.

Leave it be 1.3 is the max you want to go with those chips without risking the death of the chip.

[CPU-i5 4690k] [MB-Asus Maximus VII Hero] [GPU-Asus Matirx 980ti] [Ram-8GB Corsair Vengeance ram] [ Cooling-Corsair H100i/ 3 Noctua NF-P12 for intake] [sSD/HDD-120GB evo/ 1TB WB Caviar blue] [Case-NZXT H440] [Dell U3415W]

What cooler are you using and what are your temperatures at 1.3V?

ASU

No, leave it alone. You don't want to be exceeding 1.3v on Haswell chips, certainly not for 24/7 use, anyway. If it makes you feel better, my 4690k can only manage 4.7Ghz at 1.29v, it's just not stable at 4.8Ghz anywhere under 1.3v. That said, I keep it at 4.5Ghz at 1.2v as that seems like the best compromise for day to day use. 

4 minutes ago, Majestic said:

12 minutes prime95 26.6 cannot be called stable...

I ran that thing for about 12 hours the day before and gamed for another 2 oder 3. I just wanted to recreate the results since the temperature never exceeded this level.

4 minutes ago, Matt100HP said:

No, leave it alone. You don't want to be exceeding 1.3v on Haswell chips, certainly not for 24/7 use, anyway. If it makes you feel better, my 4690k can only manage 4.7Ghz at 1.29v, it's just not stable at 4.8Ghz anywhere under 1.3v. That said, I keep it at 4.5Ghz at 1.2v as that seems like the best compromise for day to day use. 

It is not so much the "feeling better" part ( jeah okay maybe a bit) and more the "will i kill me CPU if i keep going part. But you may be right...200 MHZ more or less really won't matter in any realistic scenario.

Just now, Seri said:

It is not so much the "feeling better" part ( jeah okay maybe a bit) and more the "will i kill me CPU if i keep going part. But you may be right...200 MHZ more or less really won't matter in any realistic scenario.

Why bother even risking it? 1.3v is the top end of safe voltages, beyond that you're into the realistic possibility of killing a £170-180 CPU territory. Sure, it may do 5Ghz...but how long will it last? Also, If you kill it, there's no saying the replacement 4690k will be anywhere near as good, in fact probability suggests it won't be; most 4690k chips aren't stable at 4.8Ghz and 1.3v (see mine for example, which itself is still a decent chip). 

So yeah, leave it alone and be happy with your 4.8Ghz, another ~4% overclock won't help you achieve anything you can't already. 

3 minutes ago, Majestic said:

More importantly, what is the ringfrequency set at?

Since my english is not the best i am not 100 % sure if you are refering to the CPU cache tact which is set to 4,5 GHZ or the baseclock which is still sitting at 100 MHZ.

1 minute ago, Matt100HP said:

Why bother even risking it? 1.3v is the top end of safe voltages, beyond that you're into the realistic possibility of killing a £170-180 CPU territory.

Well, the exception is delidding with Liquid Ultra. But few people risk that (with good reason).

I ran 1.412V overnight about 1,5 years ago, it's still kicking.

Just now, Majestic said:

Well, the exception is delidding with Liquid Ultra. But few people risk that (with good reason).

I ran 1.412V overnight about 1,5 years ago, it's still kicking.

I get the feeling the OP isn't going to such extreme lengths to keep their CPU cool, which is perfectly reasonable; I can't say I'd fancy tearing apart a £170-180 CPU, that's probably far more risky than running it at over 1.3v (within reason). 

I have no doubt that some people, such as yourself, have, and are, running 4690k and 4790k chips at over 1.3v with no apparent issues. However, it's hardly advisable, you have to be willing to accept that there's a reasonable chance that you kill your CPU, which isn't something that's likely to happen at 1.3v or under. 

Just now, Matt100HP said:

I get the feeling the OP isn't going to such extreme lengths to keep their CPU cool, which is perfectly reasonable; I can't say I'd fancy tearing apart a £170-180 CPU, that's probably far more risky than running it at over 1.3v (within reason). 

I have no doubt that some people, such as yourself, have, and are, running 4690k and 4790k chips at over 1.3v with no apparent issues. However, it's hardly advisable, you have to be willing to accept that there's a reasonable chance that you kill your CPU, which isn't something that's likely to happen at 1.3v or under. 

Hence I said "with good reason". It's just a caveat, to prevent people from repeating it without context.

Delidding is not an option for me at the moment. 4690Ks are still about 230 Euros in Germany at the moment so it is not worth the risk for me. I might do it when the CPU has reached the end of its "natural" lifespan just to say that i did :)