CEO of Bell (Canadian ISP) now says that they welcome foreign competition

pcman2000

http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/09/10/open-up-all-of-the-telecom-industry-to-foreign-competition-bell-ceo-george-cope/

This is so hypocritical. Remember a few weeks ago where they were running that "Fair for canada" thing in order to stop Verizon from entering the Canadian telecom market?

Now that Verizon has withdrawn it's plans, the CEO of Bell comes and says this.

I need more SSDs.

It's not like Verizon would have changed anything anyway. I live in the states and they are just as bad as the rest. Verizon used to overcharge, had inconsistent billing and when it comes to their phones, they lock everything down to force consumers to use their paid apps vs free ones that do the same thing. The only good thing about Verizon is their FIOS service and even then it's only available to a select few. I live in one of the biggest cities in the country and not ever part has it..talk about a joke.

It's not like Verizon would have changed anything anyway. I live in the states and they are just as bad as the rest. Verizon used to overcharge, had inconsistent billing and when it comes to their phones, they lock everything down to force consumers to use their paid apps vs free ones that do the same thing. The only good thing about Verizon is their FIOS service and even then it's only available to a select few. I live in one of the biggest cities in the country and not ever part has it..talk about a joke.

I think the point here is not whether Verizon would have made a difference or not, it is the fact that the 3 big Canadian ISPs tried to block them in the first place.

I need more SSDs.

It wasn't really about stopping competition from coming in, but everything to do with spectrum. If Verizon came in, the big 3 carriers in Canada would have only 2 blocks of the 700mhz spectrum to bid on. The other 2 blocks could have gone to Verizon if they picked up Wind and Mobilicity.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)