Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Question

Hey all, I have a question about my Hyper 212 EVO I just bought. Do you need to peal off the plastic cover on the padding on the backplate? (Took a picture of the AMD side to illustrate my question) I am putting it on my Z97 build I have. Thanks :)

Cc_HDumXEAAqNAR.jpg

I am pretty sure that that is just the electical insulation so that the mobo doesn't short. It shouldn't come off. 

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

7 minutes ago, TrinityHigh said:

Hey all, I have a question about my Hyper 212 EVO I just bought. Do you need to peal off the plastic cover on the padding on the backplate? (Took a picture of the AMD side to illustrate my question) I am putting it on my Z97 build I have. Thanks :)

Cc_HDumXEAAqNAR.jpg

1 minute ago, SLAYR said:

I am pretty sure that that is just the electical insulation so that the mobo doesn't short. It shouldn't come off. 

I recall there being a thick piece of plastic (darker) acting as insulation when I did my install, it's been almost a year now though

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

According to the sources that I found you should *NOT* remove it, it's supposed to be some sort of a insulator to prevent shortages (this is what I found when researching and is supposedly said in the manual) 

6 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

The plastic seems to be on the outside, which would not be in contact with the motherboard, and therefore would serve no purpose in electrical insulation - that is if it's only on the outside.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I remember leaving it on while building a system for a friend. Can't remember if it touches the motherboard. Just leave it on. It's not like you'll ever see it again after the build is done

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

From what I'm seeing in the image below, there's a coating on the parts that touch the board itself to prevent electrical shorting. This is where the hardware would mount.

Spoiler

fea12345146c200cdc3864a8f545baa8_1361408

You can see how the backplate would be installed here:

Spoiler

hyper212evo121.jpg

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

I don't remember if mine is on or not, and I can't check as the board is screwed straight into wood. May as well leave it on, can't do any harm.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

17 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

The plastic seems to be on the outside, which would not be in contact with the motherboard, and therefore would serve no purpose in electrical insulation - that is if it's only on the outside.

For an AMD socket the 212 evo mount is reversed from the intel so that plastic would be on the mobo in that situation. 

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Just now, SLAYR said:

For an AMD socket the 212 evo mount is reversed from the intel so that plastic would be on the mobo in that situation. 

I do not believe it's plastic. I believe it's some sort of conformal coating.

37 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I do not believe it's plastic. I believe it's some sort of conformal coating.

There's the "hard foam" (insulator that is a shade of grey) and a plastic coating over it. I just left it on the Intel side and AMD. I have it installed in my computer now.

Just now, TrinityHigh said:

There's the "hard foam" (insulator that is a shade of grey) and a plastic coating over it. I just left it on the Intel side and AMD. I have it installed in my computer now.

I haven't had one in a while, so I don't have a close-up view of it. Is everything good so far?

1 hour ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I haven't had one in a while, so I don't have a close-up view of it. Is everything good so far?

Everything is working great! CPU temperature down to 35C at idle. Now I can do my overclock my computer again. I had a stable 4.6GHz on my i7 4770K with a H100i but the pump died so I had to resort to the stock cooler. I don't say I can get back to 4.6GHz on air but I should be able to get a slight overclock with the Hyper 212. Maybe 4.2GHz or so.

2 hours ago, TrinityHigh said:

Everything is working great! CPU temperature down to 35C at idle. Now I can do my overclock my computer again. I had a stable 4.6GHz on my i7 4770K with a H100i but the pump died so I had to resort to the stock cooler. I don't say I can get back to 4.6GHz on air but I should be able to get a slight overclock with the Hyper 212. Maybe 4.2GHz or so.

Great. 

Good luck.