Windowed Borderless Solves Screen Tearing?

Guilty Baby

So I've noticed that games where I suffer from screen tearing (such as MGSV and JC3), switching to windowed borderless solves the issue.

Is this true and if so, why isn't this a 'thing' a separate option in the menus? I mean it doesn't suffer from input lag like v-sync (i think) and it doesn't cap the framerate so it would be like magic-sync right?

Please quote if you want a person to reply, they won't get a notification otherwise.

PC Specs

(CPU: Intel 4790k) (GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 WF3OC) (Mobo: Asus MAXIMUS VII RANGER) (RAM: Red Corsair Vengeance Pro 2*8GB 1600MHz) (HDD: WD Green 2TB) (SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 120GB) (CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X) (PSU: Corsair RM750) (Case & Fans: Corsair Obsidian 450D) (Monitor: Asus VX239H)

Check that your FPS is the same in both situations. I've had FPS drop by 10-15 frames by being in borderless compared to windowed, and in most situations that's a bad thing, but if you're getting tearing and borderless solves it, that could be why. You FPS may have dropped enough to stop tearing, but not enough to go below the refresh rate of the monitor

Current System - Intel Core i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 - Corsair H110i GT - 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ in SLI - XFX Pro Series Black Edition 1250W - Samsung 840 EVO 128GB Boot SSD - WD Green 2TB Mass Storage HDD - Fractal Design Define S Windowed Edition with Green LED Lighting provided by 2 Bitfenix Spectre PRO 140mm fans, and 2 Corsair SP140 Green LED fans - Samsung U28D590D 4K Main Monitor with BenQ GW2265 1080p Side Monitor

4 minutes ago, CGurrell said:

Check that your FPS is the same in both situations. I've had FPS drop by 10-15 frames by being in borderless compared to windowed, and in most situations that's a bad thing, but if you're getting tearing and borderless solves it, that could be why. You FPS may have dropped enough to stop tearing, but not enough to go below the refresh rate of the monitor

I've seen people mention that but I never notice losing frames in borderless. Maybe it is a GPU or 8.1 thing? I still get around 70 for JC3.

Edit: Do you know why frames are lost in borderless?

Please quote if you want a person to reply, they won't get a notification otherwise.

PC Specs

(CPU: Intel 4790k) (GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 WF3OC) (Mobo: Asus MAXIMUS VII RANGER) (RAM: Red Corsair Vengeance Pro 2*8GB 1600MHz) (HDD: WD Green 2TB) (SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 120GB) (CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X) (PSU: Corsair RM750) (Case & Fans: Corsair Obsidian 450D) (Monitor: Asus VX239H)

I guess it reduces screen tearing because in HL1 fullscreen 300FPS is fully teared like paper and borderless is tottaly solid

So based on everyone's answer, does that mean windowed borderless really shouldn't solve tearing?

PC Specs

I had Borderless solve tearing for me too,with next to none fps loss.

Shark Rampage V: AMD FX-4350 @ 4.5GHz(1.404 Volts) / Hyper 212 Evo / Gigabyte 750Ti (1405MHz Core,3200MHz Memory @ stock voltage) / Kington HyperX Fury 8 Gigs 1866MHz Dual channel / ASUS M5A97 R2.0 / WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM / 850Evo 250GB / XFX TS 550w 80+ Bronze Sharkoon VG4-W

14 hours ago, Guilty Baby said:

So based on everyone's answer, does that mean windowed borderless really shouldn't solve tearing?

If you are in fullsceen vsync only works with framerates divisible by your refresh rate, so 60, 30, 15. If you are at a different rate, like 59 or 58, vsync will have to drop to 30fps to sync properly. Right now this is a problem that microsoft is working on, for the time being they have said to run programs in borderless windowed mode to fix.