Raid on USB Thumbsticks

l_zheng101

I want to try a project where I set up a bunch of 128 gb usb drives on a usb hub and run them in raid 0. Is this even possible?

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

23 hours ago, l_zheng101 said:

~snip~

Hey there :)

The fellow Captain showed you a good example on how this can be done.
Generally the USB connection doesn't allow RAID arrays due to the hot-swapping options of the BUS. However, if you remove the flag you might be able to create an array through Disk Management.

May I ask what is the purpose of the project?

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

On 3/8/2016 at 9:25 AM, Captain_WD said:

Hey there :)

The fellow Captain showed you a good example on how this can be done.
Generally the USB connection doesn't allow RAID arrays due to the hot-swapping options of the BUS. However, if you remove the flag you might be able to create an array through Disk Management.

May I ask what is the purpose of the project?

Captain_WD.

Just to try something new and interesting. I won't be storing any important data on the array just junk and useless applications I don't use anymore. If the project fails, I won't lose anything important, 

5 hours ago, l_zheng101 said:

~snip~

Fair enough :) Do try the things above and post back with some results! 
You can either use a hub that supports that or look for a way to do that with the ports on your motherboard/case. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/