MSI as a brand, gaming laptops.

I just wanted to share my experience with an MSI Laptop. GS70 Stealth Pro.

It is an i7, 16gb, ssd hybrid, 870m gaming laptop.

it has had its wi-fi card replaced 2 times, its RAM has had to be replaced, its rubber feet replaced/re-pasted sooo many times...and worst of all, this has been after RMA.

Even after RMA, the rubber feet were really

badly pasted and have fallen yet again and the heat...the godamn heat.

it is a thin gaming laptop but it is actually, even after RMA, UNPLAYABLE, IT WILL BURN YOU! 

Playing TF2 at max settings, it is an 8 year old game after all, makes it stutter from time to time from 70-85 fps to 40, SUPER distracting, but the temperatures while playing this game... Are 91c on CPU and 95c on GPU!!! YOU CANNOT TYPE, IT BURNSSS!!!!!!

Personally, if MSI is capable

of releasing a product such as this, I will never EVER buy an MSI product. And...I won't.

Turning up the fans might help.  I have an R9 290, I should know.

1 minute ago, peterino55 said:

Turning up the fans might help.  I have an R9 290, I should know.

What software do you recommend? And don't worry, you saw that Battlefront AMD vs. NVIDIA demo, the efficiency for the new card will be great and should help a lot with the heat.

BTW, I learned my lesson, no more gaming laptop. I was interested in the Razee Blade Stealth with the Core combo, but I'm not sure if Razer is just plain dumb, but the new laptop is a HUGE fingerprint magnet, while the macbook air's materials are magnificent and don't capture fingerprints at all... So much for competing. 

If they can make a Macbook Air like laptop, with a very efficient gpu, like the one from that demo that has enough horsepower to face a low-mid gtx 950, it would be great. Playing LoL on the go and then when serious gaming, connect via TB3 to a Gtx 980 or something. With no fingerprints!!! 

Its the same rant as Linus, GET OVER GLOSSY AND FINGERPRINT MAGNETS INDUSTRY!!!

Ironically MSI's own afterburner is the best solution.

Also, those temps look fine to me, for a gaming laptop that is... 68*C on the CPU and 71*C on the GPU under load seems normal in a thin machine.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

1 minute ago, A/C said:

Ironically MSI's own afterburner is the best solution.

Also, those temps look fine to me, for a gaming laptop that is... 68*C on the CPU and 71*C on the GPU under load seems normal in a thin machine.

That was NOT load, when it was under load, it was near the MAX temps...90+.

I took those screens after gaming, to see how had it had gotten.

In this case, MAX TEMP = Load temp.

Just now, OptimisticRealist said:

That was NOT load, when it was under load, it was near the MAX temps...90+.

I took those screens after gaming, to see how had it had gotten.

In this case, MAX TEMP = Load temp.

Okay.

1. Why do you shout, we only try to help?

2. What dou you mean by "In this case, MAX TEMP = Load temp." - It sould be like that in any case.

3. Also I have a butt-old Alienware M17X R3 with an AMD 6970M card, runs great even after 4.5 years (2011 model if I'm not mistaken). Runs L4D2 everything maxed @1080p over 120fps constantly. (16gb ddr3, i7 2860qm stock). Even runs BF4 on low-settings in the high 50's range.

Idle temps: CPU=51*C GPU=60*C - TIM was never changed.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

Also, I've never had any issues with the MSI GPU's I've owned, all ran extremely quiet and cool (hawk cards tho').

Some people complained about the quality of their older motherboards, but that was ages ago.

I personally use ASUS in all of my builds, but that's because other brands like MSI and EVGA are hard to come by where I live.

1 minute ago, A/C said:

Okay.

1. Why do you shout, we only try to help?

2. What dou you mean by "In this case, MAX TEMP = Load temp." - It sould be like that in any case.

3. Also I have a butt-old Alienware M17X R3 with an AMD 6970M card, runs great even after 4.5 years (2011 model if I'm not mistaken). Runs L4D2 everything maxed @1080p over 120fps constantly. (16gb ddr3, i7 2860qm stock). Even runs BF4 on low-settings in the high 50's range.

Idle temps: CPU=51*C GPU=60*C - TIM was never changed.

1. Not shouting, trying to emphasize so that important facts have more visibility.

2. And by max/load - I refer to that person that was thinking 60/70c was load temps.

3. Man, it would be GREAT if you could download Team Fortress 2 and letting us know how it runs after all the updates its had, will max settings!!! Would appreciate it!

Is it exposed to a lot of dust? Have you tried opening it up and cleaning it out? (If you're comfortable doing that sort of thing). Compact computers of any kind are extremely vulnerable to dust and debris, so keeping them clean is essential. With temps in the 90C+ range, it's possible any stuttering you're experiencing is thermal throttling. Although, if you're looking to upgrade in the near future anyway, then I would agree that a desktop PC is always a better choice. The main reason to have a gaming laptop IMO is if you're traveling a lot and want to game on the go.

Just now, adamjp said:

Is it exposed to a lot of dust? Have you tried opening it up and cleaning it out? (If you're comfortable doing that sort of thing). Compact computers of any kind are extremely vulnerable to dust and debris, so keeping them clean is essential. With temps in the 90C+ range, it's possible any stuttering you're experiencing is thermal throttling. Although, if you're looking to upgrade in the near future anyway, then I would agree that a desktop PC is always a better choice. The main reason to have a gaming laptop IMO is if you're traveling a lot and want to game on the go.

Yes this is VERY important.

I make sure to check my alienware's fans and heatsinks are clean every few months, and I'll be changing my TIM when I get the time by the end of the week.

I'll try and copy TF2 from my pc and run it when I get the time.

1 minute ago, adamjp said:

I told the RMA service about the heat, as in, when I shipped it, I printed a screenshot of the temps. and taped it to the back of the laptop...and yeah, maybe that is stuttering, SUPER uncomfortable...will probably end up RMAing twice... >_<.

BTW, this is my current build: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/PBKZxr

if I had to stick with that laptop, like many people do (1 pc) I'd just sell it and lose money but begone from that nightmare...

3 minutes ago, A/C said:

Yes this is VERY important.

I make sure to check my alienware's fans and heatsinks are clean every few months, and I'll be changing my TIM when I get the time by the end of the week.

I'll try and copy TF2 from my pc and run it when I get the time.

Sweet! Hope it works.

BTW, even though it does still get insanely hot, it does not stutter as much on other games, also, FPS is higher (counter strike, max settings is at 140fps, LoL at 200fps)

have you tried opening it and replacing the thermal paste?

This has happened to more than one person:

ZkRa27x.jpg

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Gonna call MSI right now and ask about these temps.

Edit:still not open xD 

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

snip

The heck is that piece of plastic doing there

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

Just now, exercutor5 said:

The heck is that piece of plastic doing there

exactly

ive seen several people take apart their laptop because of cooling issues and find that some of the plastic protectors had not been removed when the laptop was built

so you should probably try doing that if your temps are that high

also use vsync or an fps limiter, if you dont your GPU and CPU will be running at 100% unnecessarily

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Btw, on my current build,

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/PBKZxr

everything runs perfect. Had great luck with parts...load with cinebench Cpu temp is at MAX 61c... A score of 740, not bad for an i5 :P and i loved the gtx 970 ssc, 150 fps+ on cinebench. 

I wonder what the MSI rep will say...my theory is he might ask for RMA...because if he says its working as intended, ill talk to him as it literally BURNS...

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

exactly

ive seen several people take apart their laptop because of cooling issues and find that some of the plastic protectors had not been removed when the laptop was built

Good job MSI, your QC department seems to be non-existent.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

2 minutes ago, exercutor5 said:

Good job MSI, your QC department seems to be non-existent.

that wasnt a pic of an MSI laptop

i was just talking about laptops in general

worth checking out, and even if there isnt any plastic, replacing the thermal paste will definitely help

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

worth checking out, and even if there isnt any plastic, replacing the thermal paste will definitely help

Oh lol, you didn't specify in the first post.

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Even so...QC should test EACH and every product before final packaging...

in fact, like the nissan GTR, manufacturers can benchmark their products and ship them with the results, giving their customers more confidence when buying, thinking that it has been binned/selected for its performance...

its business sense!!! Dont you guys agree? Having benchmark results when buying a $1000+ gaming laptop? 

It would help the company's PR and reputation in general, improve sales...and above all, MAKE CUSTOMERS HAPPY!

*UPDATE*

contacted MSI and they said last time they even changed the MB (last rma)...

they will pay both-way shipping so i dont lose much except my laptop of course, but thats a sign if good service. 

They recognized that the heat is abnormal.