Audio stopped working through my XB271HU

Baoty

Hey guys, so yesterday the audio stopped going to my speakers on my Acer XB271HU. I've had it for about 3 weeks, and it has never been any problems, but yesterday all of a sudden it stopped working. I have changed the monitor as the standard unit, and when I play audio I see the green sound-bar go up and down, but no sound comes out. I have tried to up the volume on the monitor itself, and it is at the default value of 70. Audio works through my headphones. I'm using a display port. I have also tried connecting my pc to my tv via hdmi, which works as normal.

Any suggestions? I find it so weird that it stopped working out of nowhere, when it was working fine earlier yesterday.

1 minute ago, Baoty said:

Hey guys, so yesterday the audio stopped going to my speakers on my Acer XB271HU. I've had it for about 3 weeks, and it has never been any problems, but yesterday all of a sudden it stopped working. I have changed the monitor as the standard unit, and when I play audio I see the green sound-bar go up and down, but no sound comes out. I have tried to up the volume on the monitor itself, and it is at the default value of 70. Audio works through my headphones. I'm using a display port. I have also tried connecting my pc to my tv via hdmi, which works as normal.

Any suggestions? I find it so weird that it stopped working out of nowhere.

to my knowledge displayport does not carry sound?

edit: i was wrong, it's optional for the cable maker to include :) (you could try swapping the cable though)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

Just now, mikat said:

to my knowledge displayport does not carry sound?

Yes it can. It has been working fine with audio the times i've used the speakers these last weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 7:50 AM, Baoty said:

Any suggestions? I find it so weird that it stopped working out of nowhere, when it was working fine earlier yesterday.

Not to steal this post but mine just stopped as well. Same symptoms. The green sound bar in playback devices moves but no sound. But works through the headphones. This is strange.

I7 5820k, Asus X99 Sabertooth, 980Ti Classified, 32gb Gskill Ripjaws 4, Corsair Rm1000i, Samsung 950 Pro, Custom Loop Xspc Cpu Block Ek Gpu Block, Windows 10, Define S. Acer Predator XB271HU

Update:

I just found this post on Reddit. Think it's the Op from here to. The solution was to go into the monitors Menu and turn DTS off. It fixed there problem so I tried it and it fixed mine to. Not to sure what changed because DTS has been on in my settings since day 1 and it always worked hope this helps if anyone else finds themselves in the same situation.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/49f2j9/acer_xb271hu_sound_stopped_working/

I7 5820k, Asus X99 Sabertooth, 980Ti Classified, 32gb Gskill Ripjaws 4, Corsair Rm1000i, Samsung 950 Pro, Custom Loop Xspc Cpu Block Ek Gpu Block, Windows 10, Define S. Acer Predator XB271HU

• 6 months later...
On 3/20/2016 at 5:17 PM, shawn finkenstead said:

Update:

I just found this post on Reddit. Think it's the Op from here to. The solution was to go into the monitors Menu and turn DTS off. It fixed there problem so I tried it and it fixed mine to. Not to sure what changed because DTS has been on in my settings since day 1 and it always worked hope this helps if anyone else finds themselves in the same situation.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/49f2j9/acer_xb271hu_sound_stopped_working/

This worked for me as well, thank you for the information.  The interesting thing is that it worked with DTS on for a while, then stopped working.  I just accepted it was broken for a while, then happened to disconnect power to do some work on my PC.  And then I noticed it started working again, so I just went on with life.  Then it crapped out again a month or so later.  I'm wondering if it has to do with updating the NVIDIA drivers, causes some signal to get sent?  Just a guess.

But Disabling DTS worked to fix it!  Hope it stays fixed...

CPU: 5600x | Mobo: MSI B550-A Pro | RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x16GB DDR4-3600 CL16 | GPU: Deshrouded Gigabyte 2070 MINI ITX w/ Phanteks T30-120 Ziptied on | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB | Cooler: NH-D15 | Case: beQuiet! 500DX | PSU: Corsair RMx (2021) 650W

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Me too, I just had this problem today!! Thanks for the fix!

STRIX

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 3700 MHz + Corsair Hydro Series H100i Pro | MOBO: Asus ROG Strix Z370-F | VGA: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (11G-P4-6393-KR) | RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 16GB DDR4 3200 MHz CL16 | STORAGE: WD Black NVMe-SSD 500GB (WDS500G2X0C) + WD Gold 2TB 128MB (WD2005FBYZ) | PSU: Corsair HX750i | CASE: Corsair 780T | MONITOR: Acer Predator XB1 IPS 27'' (XB271HUbmiprz) | SOUND: SoundBlaster Z + Sony MDR-DS6500 | Keyboard&Mouse: CM Masterkeys Pro L + Razer DeathAdder Elite

RAMPAGE

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3825 MHz + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | MOBO: Asus Rampage Formula (X48) | VGA: Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 380 4GB | RAM: G-Skill 8GB DDR2 1125 MHz CL5 | STORAGE: WD WD10EZEX Blue 1TB 64MB | PSU: Corsair CX600M | CASE: Zalman Z11 Plus

ALIEN

LAPTOP: Alienware M14x | CPU: Intel Core i7-3610QM | VGA: GT 650M | RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz | STORAGE: WD Green SSD 240GB

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2016 at 12:50 PM, Baoty said:

Turning DTS off seemed to work for me. DTS does make the audio quality better and increases the volume and its annoying not being able to turn it on. Unplugging the power cord from the monitor and plugging it back in worked, giving me sound, even with DTS enabled :)

I have the exact same problem...tho I don't know where to "restart" my DTS. Can someone please tell me how to do it? 

Many thanks!! ?

I got it fixed. Found it on my screen. Thanks anyways! 

• 2 months later...

lost the sound on my monitor and raged for a little while, tried different DP/HDMI cables and went hundo via windows 10 sound properties, etc trying to figure it out.

DTS is teh_devil.

Disabled DTS and the sound came back, cheers

• 1 year later...
On 12/28/2018 at 3:30 AM, driptic said:

Turning DTS off seemed to work for me. DTS does make the audio quality better and increases the volume and its annoying not being able to turn it on. Unplugging the power cord from the monitor and plugging it back in worked, giving me sound, even with DTS enabled :)

Unplugging the power fixes the DTS. Thank you! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Not to revive a crazy old thread, but I'm painting my Schiit Magni and Modi DAC and Amp atm and would like to use my monitor speakers until the paint dries up enough for me to reassemble everything. The speakers worked just the other day, now they don't. Tried reboot, DTS on/off, unplug monitor and plug back in. Nothing worked. Thinking I may have bad speakers which isn't enough for me to want to RMA the monitor as nothing else is bad about the display. Just a weird bug to deal with. I'd use the internal audio but I don't have the 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter for my HD 650 headphones anymore. If anyone else has any oddball suggestions feel free to chime in!

Did you try both HDMI and DP?
Maybe audio driver disabled in Windows Sound panel due to Nvidia driver update?

I had an issue where if there was no sound for 3 seconds, the monitor would stop pushing sound, then when there was a sound, you wouldn't hear anything for 2 seconds then the speakers would pop. Switching off the main power switch behind the monitor then back on seems to have fixed it.