is this a viable soundcard?

KabuTheFox

a friend is offering me the Creative Labs SB0886 (( http://www.amazon.com/Creative-SB0886-Titanium-Fatal1ty-Professional/dp/B0018EFGTM ))
soundcard for new (bought but never used) for around $50, is this a viable option or is there something better for around the same price tag?

just want to make sure that i am not getting ripped off even if it is unintentional

haha, a 50$ sound card... Most poeple can't distinguish onboard audio and audio from a sound card anyways (apart if your onboard is really old or really shit). so if your onboard is decent and isn't broken, don't bother.

R5 3600x | RTX 3070 | 16Gb 3200mhz | Gigabyte B550 gaming x | 500gb 660p SSD + 1tb wd blue HDD |

4 minutes ago, Epiclol86 said:

haha, a 50$ sound card... Most poeple can't distinguish onboard audio and audio from a sound card anyways (apart if your onboard is really old or really shit). so if your onboard is decent and isn't broken, don't bother.

well the actual sound card is around $400 new not sure if its discontinued or what

10 minutes ago, Epiclol86 said:

There is actually quite a big difference, even with good motherboards, the sound quality will never be as good as a decent sound card, especially when using a good pair of headphones 

i5-6600k @ 4.9Ghz | Corsair H110i GTX + 2 x Noctua NF-A14's | ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger | 

Corsair Venegance DDR4 8GB | ASUS GTX 970 Strix |Samsung 840 EVO 240GB + 1TB HDD | 

Corsair RM850 | NZXT H440 Black | 2 x Noctua NF-F12 + Corsair AF-140

42 minutes ago, KabuTheFox said:

a friend is offering me the Creative Labs SB0886 (( http://www.amazon.com/Creative-SB0886-Titanium-Fatal1ty-Professional/dp/B0018EFGTM ))
soundcard for new (bought but never used) for around $50, is this a viable option or is there something better for around the same price tag?

test it 1st

for 50$ when a brand new one is ~400$ .. it's a steal

I have an older X-Fi Fatal1ty and I would not trade it for anything on-board

34 minutes ago, KettyKoala said:

There is actually quite a big difference, even with good motherboards, the sound quality will never be as good as a decent sound card, especially when using a good pair of headphones 

Onboard is just fine. Don't know why this particular statement is making the rounds.  As long as it has no audible noise floor and no crackling, it's fine.

Save the $50 OP.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

36 minutes ago, KettyKoala said:

Or, like, not.

Not all onboard is the same, there can be differences, blah blah. But assuming it is well-designed, the difference will be challenging to hear.

6 minutes ago, Pomfinator said:

Onboard is just fine. Don't know why this particular statement is making the rounds.  As long as it has no audible noise floor and no crackling, it's fine.

Save the $50 OP.

Yes onboard audio is fine... But just fine haha, If your someone who wants better audio, which I don't see why not, a sound card is a good way of achieving that. 

i5-6600k @ 4.9Ghz | Corsair H110i GTX + 2 x Noctua NF-A14's | ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger | 

Corsair Venegance DDR4 8GB | ASUS GTX 970 Strix |Samsung 840 EVO 240GB + 1TB HDD | 

Just now, KettyKoala said:

Yes onboard audio is fine... But just fine haha, If your someone who wan't better audio, which I don't see why not, a sound card is a good way of achieving that. 

You're better off spending that extra money on better headphones than a useless piece of junk in your PC.  If you're going to get something good, be sensible and get a Micca Origen, not that PoS.

Speakers - KEF LSX

1 hour ago, Epiclol86 said:

Or if you wanna fiddle with multiple inputs/outputs.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

And I'm sorry but I can't take a company seriously when they say this.

X-Fi Crystalizer Restores Lost Details
Recover lost audio detail with X-Fi Crystalizer technology. This smart technology restores the audio detail that is lost in compressed audio files so you'll regain vibrancy and clarity in your games, music, and movies. Highs and lows that were lost are enhanced, so whether you're listening to cymbal crashes or wailing guitars, you'll hear the sound as it was meant to be heard.

Cause apparently you can recover data that doesn't exist *slow clap*

Speakers - KEF LSX

2 minutes ago, Crowes said:

Or if you wanna fiddle with multiple inputs/outputs.

Sounds like a pain in the ass.

Literally.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

Sounds like a pain in the ass.

Literally.

It always is, but it's the only real point in a sound card imo.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

10 minutes ago, SSL said:
6 minutes ago, Pomfinator said:

3 minutes ago, Pomfinator said:

Recover lost audio detail with X-Fi Crystalizer technology. This smart technology restores the audio detail that is lost in compressed audio files so you'll regain vibrancy and clarity in your games, music, and movies. Highs and lows that were lost are enhanced, so whether you're listening to cymbal crashes or wailing guitars, you'll hear the sound as it was meant to be heard.

Where you abused as a child using a sound card? You seem to have an outsanding beef with them

13 minutes ago, Pomfinator said:

And yes this is probably a stupid marketing feature, but most company's can be slammed for that, especially in the PC world... All I can say is if you heard first hand the difference in the quality of music when moving from onboard audio to a decent sound card, you would agree, especially when using a good set of cans. The difference isn't absolutely massive which you may be expecting, but its the same level of difference between an OK set of headphones, and a high quality set of headphones.

And yes this is probably a stupid marketing feature, but most company's can be slammed for that, especially in the PC world... All I can say is if you heard first hand the difference in the quality of music when moving from onboard audio and a decent sound card, you would agree, especially when using a good set of cans. The difference isn't absolutely massive which you may be expecting, but its the same level of difference between an OK set of headphones, and a high quality set of headphones.

I like that you're talking to the guy like he hasn't heard high quality headphones from a decent audio stack.

Just now, SSL said:

I like that you're talking to the guy like he hasn't heard high quality headphones from a decent audio stack.

I don't even know him...

I don't even know him...

Try reading his sigline.

Just now, SSL said:

Try reading his sigline.

Cool, my point still stands

Just now, SSL said:

On what?

That jet fuel can't melt steel beams

3 minutes ago, Dark_wizzie said:

This thread's getting better and better.

Yeah it's fun to see them argue.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

20 hours ago, Pomfinator said:

looks to be the same idea as tv / monitor marketing with there "truemotion" (or whatever the company whats to call it, when the actual term is interpolation) 

but it sounds like a good idea to not get it and maybe go with something more modern (i did a bit of research on the card and it goes back to 2008 (maybe even later) and was $100~ til it was discontinued a couple years back, if i do decide i want better audio i will probably go and grab a audioquest dragonfly DAC or something of the sort though my v-moda m100s should do enough of a trick to please me)

and what the hell is going on in this thread....it like exploded