Laptop OverHeat

Mikeak172

So my laptop run really hot and i am trying to figure out why. I have been using this laptop for a about 4 years and at some points, I have used it a lot. I started of with basic internet surfing, which slowly changed to gaming and even video editing and rendering. My laptop would get very hot and start throttling. I have got a full desktop for my editing and now my laptop runs hot. Under no load (about 0-5% CPU Usage), the cpu  temps are around 60C. Under light load (10% CPU from youtube), it sits around 65C and can increase to over 70C. If i put it under more load, I run into problems with temps over 95C. I have used a cooling pad, worked for a while, but now only delays the temp increase by a few minutes. What is wrong? how do I fix it?

Its probably dirty.. I have an older laptop that had a similar story, I wound up taking it apart and cleaning all the dust out and replacing the thermal paste.. its like a new computer again.

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

6 minutes ago, givegomezthegun said:

Its probably dirty.. I have an older laptop that had a similar story, I wound up taking it apart and cleaning all the dust out and replacing the thermal paste.. its like a new computer again.

That's what i was thinking. I will try replacing the thermal paste and cleaning it later this week. Thanks for the help!

Maybe thermal compound get too old or dry.

I have a laptop that started (slowly so I get upset when it was already there) to overheat and get noisy as fans where on all the time.

I searched "opening" + model of laptop in youtube to get a tutorial of how to cleanly open it (as it's sometimes tricky and screws often hide under the keyboard)

Once CPU and other chips covered by heatsink got accessible, I removed the radiators, cleaned and replaced the thermal coumpound and this revided the laptop instantly. Actually one of the radioator was barely touching the coupound (on a dell 630 atg laptop). While openned, I also upgraded RAM and changed the hard drive by a old SSD that was around. I now had a clone of the hard drive and decided to try this W10 upgrade... It went smoothly and the laptop is now a very decent and silent "kitchen machine" !

Hope this helps.

Regards