Budget 3D Printer

Tomthedrum

Hi guys

i am currently looking for a 3D printer, because I want to have one. :D

My budget is around 200-250€ 

Do you have any suggestions?

1 minute ago, Stefan1024 said:

Take care, 3D printer are like coffee machines with capsules: The machine is cheap, but the consumables are quite expensive.

Ehh, not really. I just use the cheap stuff for cheap printing.

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

Ehh, not really. I just use the cheap stuff for cheap printing.

Are the mechanical properties good? Can you make a thread and screw in the screw more than once before the material is worn out?

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

15 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

Take care, 3D printer are like coffee machines with capsules: The machine is cheap, but the consumables are quite expensive.

I am very aware of this cost. That is why i am trying to save some money on the printer.

Btw: I will get the filament from Printed Solid. Is this source any good or do you have better ones?

1 minute ago, Tomthedrum said:

I am very aware of this cost. That is why i am trying to save some money on the printer.

Btw: I will get the filament from Printed Solid. Is this source any good or do you have better ones?

I do not have a private 3D printer and therefor no data on what filament is good. Ask @iamdarkyoshi

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

39 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Oneup or twoup 3D printer. They arent the best but there are hundreds of mods on thingiverse

What is the best source for 3D filament :D?

42 minutes ago, Tomthedrum said:

Colorfab for the good stuff. I just go for the 20$ rolls on amazon, perfecly good for my needs. And @Stefan1024 yes, my keychain has screws in it to hold the gears in place and I have taken it apart countless times

12 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Colorfab for the good stuff. I just go for the 20$ rolls on amazon, perfecly good for my needs. And @Stefan1024 yes, my keychain has screws in it to hold the gears in place and I have taken it apart countless times

Nice to see the materialy improve. The stuff we used at work about 7 years ago was terrible and felt apart easely.

1 hour ago, Stefan1024 said:

Nice to see the materialy improve. The stuff we used at work about 7 years ago was terrible and felt apart easely.

My current ABS filament can be bent around a lot without breaking. PLA is a different story though and is what I recommend OP start with because it doesn't need a heated bed

7 hours ago, Tomthedrum said:

Colorfabb and Fabberdashery are regarded as the best in the business for PLA materials. PLA is very easy to print in, usually I can work out the settings for a new material in less than 30 minutes. I have no experience with ABS, but I know it does not like to stick as well and requires more hardware to print.

ASU

11 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

Not at all really. Cheaper than ink in a normal printer actually. It's about $50 for a roll of colorfabb xt carbon fiber filled filiment and that is some really premium stuff. And a single roll can last for quite some time depending on the size of the parts. When you use cheaper material like pla, a roll will only cost around $20 and still have good physical properties. In fact, I use pla more because it's so cheap a failed print usually won't cost more than a couple cents if it's a smaller model.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

2 hours ago, bob345 said:

Not at all really. Cheaper than ink in a normal printer actually. It's about $50 for a roll of colorfabb xt carbon fiber filled filiment and that is some really premium stuff. And a single roll can last for quite some time depending on the size of the parts. When you use cheaper material like pla, a roll will only cost around $20 and still have good physical properties. In fact, I use pla more because it's so cheap a failed print usually won't cost more than a couple cents if it's a smaller model.

In my experience, it is quite worth it to spend twice the price for PLA. Otherwise, you could be facing some very irritating adhesion and clogging issues. I got a $20 roll from makergeeks, had far too many issues. Colorfabb every since and have had very little issues. It's like printing metaphorical gold.

ASU

4 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

In my experience, it is quite worth it to spend twice the price for PLA. Otherwise, you could be facing some very irritating adhesion and clogging issues. I got a $20 roll from makergeeks, had far too many issues. Colorfabb every since and have had very little issues. It's like printing metaphorical gold.

I guess it really depends on where you get the roll. I get my $20 pla from frys electronics and get just as reliable printing as with colorfabb xt. Having a nice hotend also probably helps. The colorfabb does however have a much superior surface finish than pretty much any other filament I have used. This is especially true with the xt cf. The layers just disappear even at thicker layer heights. 

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

4 minutes ago, bob345 said:

I guess it really depends on where you get the roll. I get my $20 pla from frys electronics and get just as reliable printing as with colorfabb xt. Having a nice hotend also probably helps. The colorfabb does however have a much superior surface finish than pretty much any other filament I have used. This is especially true with the xt cf. The layers just disappear even at thicker layer heights. 

Interesting. That's good that you found something cheap that works well, but it's probably better for a noob to get the good stuff.

ASU

Well, the first place to start is your price range. In american dollars its $285 - $356 (estimate). This is something you want to consider because lots of 3D printers are made in the US. You want to have these numbers in your head just in case things come up. You then won't to look at all the 3D printers in that price range. You also want to look at Kickstarter and Indie Go Go for new 3D printers. This might be a risk though, considering that the printer might not be very good. You also want to consider if you should build it yourself or buy it built. It might be easier to buy it built, but depending on the size of the print area you want and size, it might be better to build it yourself. What I would recommend is writing a list of specs you want and post them here to the forums. We, then will be able to help you on your search for the right 3D printer. More expensive 3D printers will have better specs. You also need to consider filament. Different types of filament cost more or less money. Some filaments might only work with a certain 3D printer. All together though, this will give you the perfect starting place to finding a 3D printer.