Upgrading Cooler (, Case and PSU)

Hello folks,

I'm currently at a point of upgrading my computer step-by-step. Recently I upgraded my graphics card to a Sapphire R9 390 and added another Samsung 500GB SSD (to the existing 256GB old SSD because I needed more space).

In addition I changed a few fans in my Corsair Spec 03 to get the noise down. (Worked pretty well, the stock fans on the case where horribly loud).

What's up next on my list is upgrading the CPU cooler cause the Intel stock one of my i5 3570k is now (with the PSU) the loudest part of the system.

I first thought about getting an air cooler but the look of having a gigantic cooler all over didn't really make any satisfaction to me so I decided for watercooling components.

Since a custom loop is actually not what I want (too expensive for what I need, simple CPU cooling with acceptable noise and accept look) I will go with an AiO system.

So first let me list up my current specs and the changes that are being made when changing to an AiO watercooling solution.

CPU: Intel i5 3570K

CPU Cooler: Stock Intel

GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro

Mainboard: Gigabyte Z77 D3H (rev. 1)

RAM: 4x 4GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz

PSU: Corsair CS550M

Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03

So what basicly has to be changed in order to also upgrade my CPU soon will be the following stuff:

- CPU Cooler

- Case (Since the Spec-03 won't really fit a 240mm Rad. without LP RAM which would lead into exchanging working RAM to non-current products etc. and would not be really cost-efficient)

- PSU (The CS550M is, in my eyes, already having hard times with the 3570K and the R9 390. If I add a watercooler and OC the CPU, the Wattage won't be sufficient. Am I right?)

Which leads to the following items, that will be bought (let's say 80% sure about this):

- Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 Pro (Fits everything and in addition has space on top for a 240mm Rad. and could fit a even bigger one in the front [if probably upgraded some day]) ~140€ (the non-pro comes for ~100€, probably get that one?)

- PSU: Corsair RMi Series RM850i (Will be enough space for overclocking the CPU, adding the water cooling and probably adding another video card for a crossfire setup) - ~150€

The really unsure point is the AiO watercooler. I currently have the following kits on the list:

- Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX + 2x Noctua NF-F12 - ~165€

- Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX + 2x Noctua NF-F12 - ~176€

- Alphacool NexXxoS Cool Answer 240 LT/ST (Not AiO but includes everything and I think I should be able to build it. Atleast this also had the building fun factor) - ~145€

- Cooler Master Nepton 240M + 2x 2x Noctua NF-F12 - ~140€

- Arctic Liquid Freezer 240 (The cheapest one, comes with 4 fans) - ~65€

What system would you guys suggest to go for? What matters is for sure the noise level. In addition there's also the overclocking room I get, so basicly the effectivity of the system.

In addition, does everything fit into the case, should I probably get the Non-Pro Version and buy the top radiator addition for 17€ and last but not least is the PSU (old & the probably new one) powerful enough?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I've got an H110i GT, it's VERY good. The stock fans are set to spin at minimum speed and they keep my 4690k @ 4.5Ghz and 1.2v at around 60C under full load in OCCT, or about 50C in games. 

As for a case, have you considered a Fractal Design Define S? It's got loads of options for how you do stuff inside as it's basically an empty box (in the best possible way). The HDDs and SSDs go in the back and you can fit up to 3 HDDs and 2 SSDs or up to 5 SSDs. It's also only £65-70 depending on whether you want a windowed version or not. 

PSU wise, In the UK the EVGA Supernova G2 850w is a good buy, it's a tier 1 PSU  made by Super Flower (daft name, good PSUs), and has silent operation at low loads. 

Thanks for your reply. I don't like the look of the Fractal Design Define S really. :(

But thanks for the tip of the EVGA PSU. It looks pretty fine, but not sure whether to take that one or the Corsair one. :/

We'll see. But the watercooling decision hasn't been done yet. :/

//EDIT: Changed the PSU to the EVGA one. Thanks :)

EVGA Supernova G2 850w using it the fan is off most of the time so its quiet reliable and well its a good choice all around ;)

Phanteks/Corsair/CM/Fractal has some good cases but the master case is a good one too honestly go with the one that looks better to you.

For the AIO check out Enermax they have one of the cheaper cooling solutions that are actually good slapping on a couple of noctuas nf-f12s and you are golden... just be sure to use the NF-F12s in push as they perform worse in pull by about ~5°C

edit keep in mind that air coolers are generally quieter because the noise is isolated inside the case rather blowing air through the fins of a rad that is placed right on the side of the case.

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

I just took a look at the Enermax coolers.

Price-wise they are very nice, but actually I do not know which one is the best or if they are good at all.

There are only a few videos to them and only a few text-based reviews and the opinions on them are pretty different. A few say they are very high quality (even with the low price) and pretty silent. Others say the pump would be loud and the fans too. (Well okay, the fans are most likely shit on any AiO solution, so having them changed is the smallest problem).

Then which one to take?

Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240-BS) which costs ~70€.

Enermax Liqtech 240 (ELC-LT240-HP) which is ~90€.

Well, air coolers are usually a bit quieter but still, they are bulky and big and actually I'd like to go with a watercooling loop that is powerful but still quiet enough to be called quiet. :)

//EDIT: I also thought about eventually going for a custom loop, but I'm pretty sure it's not worth the price if you just go for CPU cooling, am I right?

That was the stuff I just put into the cart to see how much it costs to go for custom, not sure if I at some point went over the "necessary-mark" or if I missed something, it's my first watercooled system:

1x EK-CoolStream SE 240 (Slim Dual) - 53.60€

1x EK-Supremacy EVO - Nickel (Original CSQ) - 66.28€

1x EK-XRES DCP 4.0 PWM (incl. pump) - 87.74€

6x EK-ACF Fitting 10/16mm - Black Nickel - 4.87€ -> 29.21€

1x EK-Tube ZMT Matte Black 15,9/9,5mm (3m RETAIL) - 12.63€

=> 249.45€ + Fans (~30€)

The question is, did I miss something or did I go to far with some parts (probably cheaper and better alternatives?) and is it worth it, effective- and noisewise, to spend another 150€ to go for a custom loop if you just want to cool the CPU?

Best regards & thanks in advance,

fnL