wifi chanels

Go to solution Solved by InVis,
14 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

well there is someone using chanel 13 were i live, is that fine?

It is fine yes :)

A lot of drivers are not optimized for the "european" channel (12 and 13), so you might encounter issues with some computers or devices not being able to find the network or dropping a lot of packets.

Also - channel 6 has been the de facto standard for most "older" routers, so it might be a bit crowded - and also Bluetooth frequencies fall within channel 6, so in an office environment (larger installs) with wireless devices, I would not use channel 6 unless I really have to (and if I have to, I will have a list of devices that the customer can use without interfering too much with the WiFi network) 

I know that chanels 1, 6 and 11 are fine but are there any others that are fine to use as well? wifi analyszer on my phone says that right now channel 14 is the best but is it ok to switch to 14, or is that just bad?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Channel 14 is only available in Japan, it is illegal to use it anywhere in America. 

It will not be available as an option on any american devices. 

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I know that chanels 1, 6 and 11 are fine but are there any others that are fine to use as well? wifi analyszer on my phone says that right now channel 14 is the best but is it ok to switch to 14, or is that just bad?

All channels are fine to use. It´s just that 1,6, and 11 are optimal since they don´t overlap with as many other channels.

24 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

All channels are fine to use. It´s just that 1,6, and 11 are optimal since they don´t overlap with as many other channels.

well that seems strange but ok thanks, il go move the network now then i guess

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

25 minutes ago, MimigaKing said:

Channel 14 is only available in Japan, it is illegal to use it anywhere in America. 

It will not be available as an option on any american devices. 

Builds:

Spoiler

14 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

A lot of drivers are not optimized for the "european" channel (12 and 13), so you might encounter issues with some computers or devices not being able to find the network or dropping a lot of packets.

Also - channel 6 has been the de facto standard for most "older" routers, so it might be a bit crowded - and also Bluetooth frequencies fall within channel 6, so in an office environment (larger installs) with wireless devices, I would not use channel 6 unless I really have to (and if I have to, I will have a list of devices that the customer can use without interfering too much with the WiFi network) 

1 hour ago, InVis said:

well i moved it to channel 6 because there are no other networks there right now, thanks for the info

Builds:

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

well i moved it to channel 6 because there are no other networks there right now, thanks for the info

Okay :)

No problem.

Please mark it as solved, so other people dont waste their time reading through the post :)