Light Diffusing Membrane

I will start by saying that this isn't actually for photography, but it seemed like the photography sub would know best since you guys use similar stuff. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a cheap light diffusing membrane. I'm thinking like the ceiling lights seen here:

Laboratory.jpg

It's meant to be used decoratively on a PC case, not for any professional use, so it doesn't have to really be amazing stuff. Also, is there an easy way to color it? Amazon searches for "light diffuser" didn't really turn up much. As opaque as possible is best, but I'm fine if I have to stack multiple layers to get the desired effect. 

Edit: further searching turns up soft mesh stuff. I'm thinking more along the lines of a panel from the back of a monitor for backlight diffusion. Actually, exactly that, but in big sheets. 

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

3 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

I will start by saying that this isn't actually for photography, but it seemed like the photography sub would know best since you guys use similar stuff. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a cheap light diffusing membrane. I'm thinking like the ceiling lights seen here:

It's meant to be used decoratively on a PC case, not for any professional use, so it doesn't have to really be amazing stuff. Also, is there an easy way to color it? Amazon searches for "light diffuser" didn't really turn up much. As opaque as possible is best, but I'm fine if I have to stack multiple layers to get the desired effect. 

Usually if your wanting to do something with lighting an opaque filter or sheet of acrylic is a good option it diffuses the light and doesn't give the harsh spots of lights very easily. 

Places like inventables have light diffused films also:

https://www.inventables.com/technologies/light-diffuser-film-rolls

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

Usually if your wanting to do something with lighting an opaque filter or sheet of acrylic is a good option it diffuses the light and doesn't give the harsh spots of lights very easily. 

Places like inventables have light diffused films also:

https://www.inventables.com/technologies/light-diffuser-film-rolls

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for! 

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

At hardware stores, I know that they often sell sheets of the stuff that is often put over fluorescent light fixtures to soften the light. I'd look at Home Depot for something like this. There will be a lot of options, so look around.

For film, to soften out hard light, something commonly called diffusion can be found at places like B&H, here. You probably would want something like the rosco stuff, as there seems to be a large variety. Take a look at what you can find.

So thanks for reading guys, if this post sucked, I'm not sure what you can do, but if you liked it, go 'head and hit that like button, or maybe add me as a friend. Otherwise, go subscribe to LinusTechTips on YouTube, follow them on Twitch, follow @LinusTech on Twitter, and support them by using their affiliate code on Amazon, buying a cool T-shirt, or supporting them directly on this community forum.

Just now, nickl said:

At hardware stores, I know that they often sell sheets of the stuff that is often put over fluorescent light fixtures to soften the light. I'd look at Home Depot for something like this. There will be a lot of options, so look around.

For film, to soften out hard light, something commonly called diffusion can be found at places like B&H, here. You probably would want something like the rosco stuff, as there seems to be a large variety. Take a look at what you can find.

Thank you! 

If you ahve an old monitor you can take it out of the backlight

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

12 hours ago, thekeemo said:

If you ahve an old monitor you can take it out of the backlight

If only it were that easy... I was thinking the same thing, but there isn't enough in one monitor and I've thought of a better way. Thin acrylic with a diffuser mesh behind it would probably give the best effect.