3000rpm fan for exhaust, is it madness?

Clarifiante

hi folks. i've caught what they call the cooling bug and am trying to go for maximum cooling from fans. i live in a particularly warm climate as well where ambient ~30-33C

my case is the phanteks evolv atx. both i5-6600k OC 4.6ghz and 980ti running custom bios with higher boost clock on the predator 360 loop. 

right now my setup is:

front intake = predator 360 with 3x f4 vardars 2200rpm in push and 3x jetflo 120mm 2000rpm in pull 

rear exhaust = noctua ippc nf-a14 2000rpm

top exhaust = 2x ph140sp 1200rpm

i'm contemplating the following:

front intake = changing the jetflos for noctua nf-f12 3000rpm (or consequently the vardars as well for a 6x3000rpm in push/pull)

rear exhaust = noctua ippc nf-a14 3000rpm

top exhaust = 2xnoctua ippc nf-a14 2000rpm (not going for 3000rpm because i don't much faster fans as hot air passively rises)

i'm just wondering if the proposed setup is a bit too overkill, esp the 3000rpm exhaust fan. 

would like to hear your comments!

your fans aren't going to run full speed

so naw. just lil overkill 

Unless your rad is so hard to move air through that the extra pressure caused by extra fans matters, push/pull vs just push or pull alone is not going to do any better.

Also, you'd probably get better results from getting AC than any fan setup you can possibly create.  Hard to beat a 10+ deg drop in ambient temps ;)

Oh, and one more thing - make sure you don't beef up your exhaust so much that it's better than your intakes, or you'll be pulling in extra air through every little gap in your case, increasing dust accumulation significantly.  Always try to have slightly more intake power than exhaust, so that air only comes in through the fans that are designed to draw it in, conceivably through a filter :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Unless your rad is so hard to move air through that the extra pressure caused by extra fans matters, push/pull vs just push or pull alone is not going to do any better.

Also, you'd probably get better results from getting AC than any fan setup you can possibly create.  Hard to beat a 10+ deg drop in ambient temps ;)

ah yeah i do have an AC running most of the time when i'm home. ambient is nigh unbearable now. 

the predator is a fairly thick rad and while i was assembling i decided to go push/pull and immediately saw temps go down as opposed to having only the vardars in push.

Just now, Clarifiante said:

the predator is a fairly thick rad and while i was assembling i decided to go push/pull and immediately saw temps go down as opposed to having only the vardars in push.

Good to know; I guess that rad benefits from it :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Good to know; I guess that rad benefits from it :)

you think i'll see any temp differences if i go with my proposed fan setup?

Just now, Clarifiante said:

you think i'll see any temp differences if i go with my proposed fan setup?

honestly I think it's impossible to say, sort of like the push/pull thing - if you do it and it helps, you know you needed more fans, but until you try, I don't know how you could ever find out...

You can't cool below the temp of the inlet air anyhow so I bet 3000 rpm fans are going to make more noise than they are worth, especially since you are using larger fans. I'd love to hear how this goes though. Keep us posted when you do this.