HBM When? How much?

Mouse-Potato

Looking for information about the HBM GPU's and when they will be out. I've seen some stuff by doing Google searchs but everything is speculative. I was hoping maybe some of the community might have more "in person" info.

The R9 Fury line uses HBM, and they're out now.

Outside of that, you know as much as I do.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

now. 

AMD's Fury cards have (4GB) HBM memory.

Other than that, we dont know if Pascal or Polaris (Nvidia's and AMD's new upcoming GPu series respectively) will have HBM

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Well, HBM is already available to consumers through a few  AMD Fury series GPUs. Namely these below

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

HBM 2 would probably be on the 980ish cards on Nvidia's lineup.

My guess would be that the 1070(?) would not have HBM2 because of it's pricing being competitive for budget to performance oriented PCs, just like how 3.5GB of VRAM is enough for normal games.

So expect it to be at a price near of a 980 for the lowest end HBM card.

10 minutes ago, Nacho Marco Segui said:

You didn't search much

Yeah, probably not...

Maybe you'll have more info about Nvidia HBM?

@Mouse-Potato If you mean any HBM cards, then the Fury lineup are those. If you're looking for HBM cards that actually show a large performance boost as opposed to GDDR5... ehh, that's yet to appear.

Until we get the density that it promises, I wouldn't hold my breath for any miracles.

Just now, Mouse-Potato said:

Yeah, probably not...

There's so little info about it right now that it's basically speculation right now.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

5 minutes ago, Mouse-Potato said:

Yeah, probably not...

other than the rumors about HMB2 or HBMX I think there is no info

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 minutes ago, KemoKa said:

@Mouse-Potato If you mean any HBM cards, then the Fury lineup are those. If you're looking for HBM cards that actually show a large performance boost as opposed to GDDR5... ehh, that's yet to appear.

Until we get the density that it promises, I wouldn't hold my breath for any miracles.

4 minutes ago, daniellearmouth said:

There's so little info about it right now that it's basically speculation right now.

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

other than the rumors about HMB2 or HBMX I think there is no info

Pretty much what I thought.. I'm glad I'm not the only one that "didn't search much" for info.

Thank you for your input, I will hold off on buying a GPU atm and just use my 780 OC until it bottlenecks.

4 minutes ago, typographie said:

Earlier this year it was rumored that we could see GDDR5X on some Pascal cards, with HBM2 possibly at the high-end. That would still be pretty good news, as GDDR5X is capable of bandwidth approaching that of first-gen HBM:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9883/gddr5x-standard-jedec-new-gpu-memory-14-gbps

Lol. Yeess, let's make a new memory standard and slap a good ol' X on there, that'll make the fanboys squeal :P

OP so salty 

15 minutes ago, KemoKa said:

Lol. Yeess, let's make a new memory standard and slap a good ol' X on there, that'll make the fanboys squeal :P

Don't quite understand the complaint, but I think the rationale is sound:

"What is very important for developers of chips and makers of graphics cards is that the GDDR5X should not require drastic changes to designs of graphics cards, and the general feature-set of GDDR5 remains unchanged (and hence why it is not being called GDDR6)."

Would you have preferred another letter? :P

1 minute ago, typographie said:

Don't quite understand the complaint, but I think the rationale is sound:

"What is very important for developers of chips and makers of graphics cards is that the GDDR5X should not require drastic changes to designs of graphics cards, and the general feature-set of GDDR5 remains unchanged (and hence why it is not being called GDDR6)."

Would you have preferred another letter? :P

Yes. Any other letter like, i dunno, E for Enhanced or Extended. Anything other than the same overused, cliche, repetitive, pretentious, exotic-sounding X of generic eXtremity that literally every company on planet earth with a marketing department uses to pander to the clueless masses of 12-year-old little boys.

2 hours ago, typographie said:

Earlier this year it was rumored that we could see GDDR5X on some Pascal cards, with HBM2 possibly at the high-end. That would still be pretty good news, as GDDR5X is capable of bandwidth approaching that of first-gen HBM:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9883/gddr5x-standard-jedec-new-gpu-memory-14-gbps

Considering that GDDR5x can reach 1GB memory per module, i doubt we will get significant increases in bandwidth across the board. More likely, AMD and Nvidia are just gonna use fewer modules to reach the performance we currently have. Probably some noteworthy gain in the 970/980 and the 390/390x segment, but don't expect leaps in the 950/960 and the 370/380 (and their x variants) segments.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

37 minutes ago, MMKing said:

Considering that GDDR5x can reach 1GB memory per module, i doubt we will get significant increases in bandwidth across the board. More likely, AMD and Nvidia are just gonna use fewer modules to reach the performance we currently have. Probably some noteworthy gain in the 970/980 and the 390/390x segment, but don't expect leaps in the 950/960 and the 370/380 (and their x variants) segments.

Well, I don't know how much stock you put into the theoretical comparisons in the link I provided, but they broke it down by 256-bit and 128-bit versions. The theoretical 256-bit GDDR5X (such as you might find on an x70 or x80 card) was what neared first-gen HBM. The 128-bit GDDR5X was slower but still double the bandwidth of the GTX 960's GDDR5 at 224 GB/s. That's still a reasonable improvement from the R9 380X's 182.4 GB/s.

21 minutes ago, typographie said:

Well, I don't know how much stock you put into the theoretical comparisons in the link I provided, but they broke it down by 256-bit and 128-bit versions. The theoretical 256-bit GDDR5X (such as you might find on an x70 or x80 card) was what neared first-gen HBM. The 128-bit GDDR5X was still double the bandwidth of the GTX 960's GDDR5 at 224 GB/s. But of course the jump would be smaller from the 380/X.

224 GB/s is a rather optimistic figure, as it claims a doubling in bandwidth, something the manufacturers never claimed. The claim is that GDDR5X will hit the 10-12GB/s mark, up from the current 8GB/s, with the ability to go up to 16GB/s in the future. So yes, a doubling in performance is not an outlandish claim in 2-3 years. But for graphics card releasing in just a few months, a much more realistic expectation is performance increases in the 25-50% range per module.

960 Pascal eqivelant = 140GB/s to 168GB/s. This is with 4 GDDR5x modules.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum