instead of buying a cheapo camera

i decided to invest a little

im thinking of a micro 4/3 camera thats small and slim

im looking at at the GF6 from panasonic  with kit lens

maybe buy a pancake lens later

500$

any suggestions ?

ps Do not want a DSLR

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Price point/budget?

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

the GF6 ist still quite new, so you pretty much pay full retail prices : /

budget? (I'd guess about 500$?)

What kinda photography class is this?

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Why no DSLR the 100D is small and slim if its in the budget.

vs a gf6 its look big

its just that i really dislike how DSLRs look

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

the GF6 ist still quite new, so you pretty much pay full retail prices : /

budget? (I'd guess about 500$?)

What kinda photography class is this?

i dont mind paying full

its 101 just the basics

but i want to keep using the camera  its not just for class

instead of buying a cheapo camera

i decided to invest a little

im thinking of a micro 4/3 camera thats small and slim

im looking at at the GF6 from panasonic  with kit lens

maybe buy a pancake lens later

500$

any suggestions ?

ps Do not want a DSLR

Why no dslr? they are some of the most expandable cameras ever

and they look pro 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

I think MFT is an awesome way to go, and a GF6 is a pretty good place to start, otherwise a Sony NEX 3 might be an option.

Inb4 canikon dslr fangirls

Edit: Too late

• 1 month later...

Depending on what level qualification your photography classes are at. You will find it hard without a D-SLR and if you are seriously thinking that you want to become a photographer then it would be silly not to get one. But if you are just taking the classes for fun then 4/3 could be alright.

The only real difference between a m43 and dslr is the mirror/prisim.  More and more m43 cameras have apsc size sensors and soon more will have full frame sensors.  The GF6 is nice and will take great video.  And with adapters you can use lenses from differnt manufactures.  For your photo class as long as you can control the aperature, shutter speed and ISO, you should be ok.  That said, double check with the class requirements. 

CPU AMD Ryzen 2700 X / Motherboard  / RAM 4 x 4GB  / GPU Zotac 1080Ti Amp Edition / Case Fractal Design Meshify C / Storage Samsung 850 PRO / 1TB WD Black & 2TB WD Green / PSU / Cooling Noctua / Keyboard Ducky Shine 2 / Mouse Logitech G700 / Sound O2 Amp/DAC & Audioengine A5+ speakers

The only real difference between a m43 and dslr is the mirror/prisim. More and more m43 cameras have apsc size sensors and soon more will have full frame sensors. The GF6 is nice and will take great video. And with adapters you can use lenses from differnt manufactures. For your photo class as long as you can control the aperature, shutter speed and ISO, you should be ok. That said, double check with the class requirements.

Your thinking mirrorless cameras, micro 4/3 actually describes the sensor not the camera.

Your thinking mirrorless cameras, micro 4/3 actually describes the sensor not the camera.

Yeah thats right :)  Thanks for the correction .

CPU AMD Ryzen 2700 X / Motherboard  / RAM 4 x 4GB  / GPU Zotac 1080Ti Amp Edition / Case Fractal Design Meshify C / Storage Samsung 850 PRO / 1TB WD Black & 2TB WD Green / PSU / Cooling Noctua / Keyboard Ducky Shine 2 / Mouse Logitech G700 / Sound O2 Amp/DAC & Audioengine A5+ speakers

If you want a little camera get the little cannon or look into some mirroless ones that have a dslr sensor they are going to be more than their co peritikn usually.

Since your taking a class though I would get a dslr especially if you plan on going to school for it or really getting into it. I see a mirrorless camera as the type of camera a photographer uses on his day off or the kind of thing someone who wants nicer pics gets it they dont want to deal with a dslr.

You should play with a DSLR for a bit. The experience is unmatched by a micro 4/3 camera IMO.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

You should play with a DSLR for a bit. The experience is unmatched by a micro 4/3 camera IMO.

personally i wish dearly that the micro 4/3 would simply die out 

#KilledMyWife 

personally i wish dearly that the micro 4/3 would simply die out 

There is a place for them IMO. Like for my bimbotic sister that bitches about the size of a DSLR and wants a petite, cute little one.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

There is a place for them IMO. Like for my bimbotic sister that bitches about the size of a DSLR and wants a petite, cute little one.

Canon has one, or at least I think its cute especially with a pancake lens on it. Its also basically a t5i/750D.

or them hipsters instagraming from their macbook airs getting starbucks

hipsters_coffee.jpg

#KilledMyWife 

Canon has one, or at least I think its cute especially with a pancake lens on it. Its also basically a t5i/750D.

its nice but not for video due to the lack of flippy screen action 

#KilledMyWife 

its nice but not for video due to the lack of flippy screen action 

I have a t3i/650D, shoot video, and have never used the flippy screen... 

Its also the only tiny Full DSLR to my knowledge and its basically a t5i/750D for the most part.

I have a t3i/650D, shoot video, and have never used the flippy screen... 

Its also the only tiny Full DSLR to my knowledge and its basically a t5i/750D for the most part.

ok so this is bugging me

ITS 600D AND 700D 

the 650d is a t4i do you have a youtube channel? 

#KilledMyWife 

ok so this is bugging me

ITS 600D AND 700D 

the 650d is a t4i do you have a youtube channel? 

sorry my bad i had one number off so they all got off. Anyway the same thing shouldnt have two (actually three) different names!

sorry my bad i had one number off so they all got off. Anyway the same thing shouldnt have two (actually three) different names!

I know, there are 3 different names 

its kiss x5, t3i, 600d I call my t3i all 3 different names no matter what. Like if someone says what kind of camera is that its all about whatever words comes to mind first. 

#KilledMyWife 

I know, there are 3 different names

its kiss x5, t3i, 600d I call my t3i all 3 different names no matter what. Like if someone says what kind of camera is that its all about whatever words comes to mind first.

I dont see any need to habe more than one name.