WaterCooling a Sapphire R9 390 NITRO Card

cgtechuk

Hi all, I have a pair of these in Crossfire and looking to Watercool them but I am struggling to find anywhere that does waterblocks for these, I have found one from Alphacool but wondering if anyone had any success with other vendors?

Thanks

EK makes blocks for them and are generally the most recommended. I dont think being NITRO cards would affect a waterblock. I never thought they were a custom PCB.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Just now, suchamoneypit said:

EK makes blocks for them and are generally the most recommended.

Wrong, EK didn't make a waterblock for the 390 Nitro Edition.

The only waterblock EK offers the 390/X series are for reference design PCB, the MSI TwinFrozr 5, and PCB design that are identical to manufacturer's 290/X PCB design. 

1 minute ago, itsmyjobtoknow said:

The only waterblock EK offers the 390/X series are for reference design PCB, the MSI TwinFrozr 5, and PCB design that are identical to manufacturer's 290/X PCB design. 

What he means is, is that the SAPPHIRE nitro edition does not have a custom PCB. Meaning you can just use the reference version of the waterblock on this card.

"I fart in your general direction" -The Frenchmen

Just now, VincentiusIV said:

What he means is, is that the SAPPHIRE nitro edition does not have a custom PCB. Meaning you can just use the reference version of the waterblock on this card.

How sure are you of this, Alphacool are using a specific part for theres and not using the reference one, That would tell me it is not reference

3 minutes ago, itsmyjobtoknow said:

but you didnt bring up the PCB. It doesnt matter what version it is. The only thing that would prevent a regular 390 block from working would be if it had a custom PCB, which is not common and I would be very surprised if the NITRO cards were.

1 minute ago, VincentiusIV said:

yup

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Having looked at pictures of the PCB Online it certainly looks a lot different from other R9 390 cards, My question is if it was the same PCB then surely Alphacool wouldnt have needed to make a custom Waterblock for it at all and they would have just used the reference one?

23 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

but you didnt bring up the PCB. It doesnt matter what version it is. The only thing that would prevent a regular 390 block from working would be if it had a custom PCB, which is not common and I would be very surprised if the NITRO cards were.

yup

26 minutes ago, VincentiusIV said:

Sapphire Nitro Series are always custom PCB. You can even look it up on EK's configurator 

Edit:

Just to make your life easier.... @VincentiusIV  @suchamoneypit

0kdmNSP.png

12 minutes ago, cgtechuk said:

Having looked at pictures of the PCB Online it certainly looks a lot different from other R9 390 cards, My question is if it was the same PCB then surely Alphacool wouldnt have needed to make a custom Waterblock for it at all and they would have just used the reference one?

So, I quickly scouted all r9 390 nitro reviews about a custom pcb... None of the articles mention it, while a custom pcb is most of the time a major selling point. 

However, judging from alphacools compatibility page with gpu waterblocks, I wouldn't take the risk of buying the reference design. 

EKWB had announced in public that they wouldn't make a waterblock for the nitro card, which suggests that it's different from the reference design.

TL:DR

Alphacool's waterblock is the only option.

"I fart in your general direction" -The Frenchmen

• 1 year later...

Hello all,

From AlphaCool I found this block:
https://www.alphacool.com/shop/gpu-cooler/ati-fullsize/19917/alphacool-nexxxos-gpx-ati-r9-390-m01-mit-backplate-schwarz

But could you guys suggest what pump with reservoir and what radiator to buy ?

I want to cool only the R9 390.... I have an AIO on the CPU. My case is NZXT H440..

Thank you in advance.