Project: Noob Machine 1.0 (Help me plan & build my first PC)

Xafer

build.png

Hey everyone - Welcome to my build log: Noob Machine 1.0

I finally bought my first PC part - Which means i now have to build my first PC! :) 

So follow along if you want to help me pick the right parts, and later guide me when i try to assemble it. 

- If helping is not your style, then grab some popcorns, sit back and relax, while you laugh at the many mistakes i'll make, during the process of building my first PC.

The system is going to be used mainly for gaming & office use, and a bit of light video & photo editing.

My goal is to make the pc as silent as possible, using components with temperature control, so the fans wont spin under light use.

Since i'm not a heavy user i'm going with an ITX system, i like the small footprint, and i dont need the features that ATX systems offer, compared to ITX.

I know there are smaller ITX cases like the Node 202 or the ones from SilverStone - But considering this is my first build, i'm going with the Nano S for a pleasent building experience, and parts compatibility.

BUILD STATUS: Building

Please help me pick the parts marked with blue in the part list. 

Part list (X=Bought, X=Not bought, X=Part not picked yet)

• CPU: Intel Core i5 6600k
  • Ram: HyperX Fury DDR4 2133MHz
  • Motherboard: MSI Z170I GAMING PRO AC
  • Graphics card:  MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4G
  • CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
  • Power supply: Corsair RM650x
  • Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S
  • Storage: 

Peripherals:

• Mouse: Logitech MX Master
  • Headset: Bang & Olufsen - BeoPlay H6
  • Monitor: BenQ XL2420T
  • Keyboard:
  • Microphone:
  • Speakers:

12 minutes ago, Xafer said:

build.png

Hey everyone - Welcome to my build log: Noob Machine 1.0

I finally bought my first PC part - Which means i now have to build my first PC! :) 

So follow along if you want to help me pick the right parts, and later guide me when i try to assemble it. 

- If helping is not your style, then grab some popcorns, sit back and relax, while you laugh at the many mistakes i'll make, during the process of building my first PC.

The system is going to be used for office use, video & photo editing and a decent amount of gaming.

My goal is to make the pc as silent as possible, using components with temperature control, so the fans wont spin under light use.

Since i'm not a heavy user i'm going with an ITX system, i like the small footprint, and i dont need the features that ATX systems offer, compared to ITX.

I know there are smaller ITX cases like the Node 202 or the ones from SilverStone - But considering this is my first build, i'm going with the Nano S for a pleasent building experience, and parts compatibility.

BUILD STATUS: PART PICKING

Please help me pick the parts marked with blue in the part list. 

Part list (X=Bought, X=Not bought, X=Part not picked yet)

• Processor: Intel i5 6600k
  • Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S
  • Ram: HyperX Fury DDR4 2133MHz
  • Motherboard: MSI Z170I GAMING PRO AC
  • Power supply:
  • Graphics card:
  • Hard drive:
  • CPU cooler:

Peripherals:

• Mouse: Logitech MX Master
  • Headset: Bang & Olufsen - BeoPlay H6
  • Monitor: BenQ XL2420T
  • Keyboard:
  • Microphone:
  • Speakers:

Photo and video editing? Would´ve gone 1231v3.

2 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Photo and video editing? Would´ve gone 1231v3.

Edited: Light photo and video editing - As a hobby, nothing proffesional ;) i think the i5 is the best processor for my needs.

10 minutes ago, Xafer said:

Edited: Light photo and video editing - As a hobby, nothing proffesional ;) i think the i5 is the best processor for my needs.

Ah, okay then, thought you were going serious with that stuff. I5´s fine for that then. Any color scheme in particular? Budget for rest of the parts?

Please don't use that shade of blue. It's a little too intensive. Try #6666ff or something alike.

8 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Ah, okay then, thought you were going serious with that stuff. I5´s fine for that then. Any color scheme in particular? Budget for rest of the parts?

Well, it'll manage anything under ten or twenty minutes in my experience, although I realise a bigger problem is finding decent editing software.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

Just now, Crowes said:

Please don't use that shade of blue. It's a little too intensive. Try #6666ff or something alike.

Well, it'll manage anything under ten or twenty minutes in my experience, although I realise a bigger problem is finding decent editing software.

Windows movie maker for the win.

7 minutes ago, Crowes said:

Edited :)

Im using magix atm - it does the job for my travel videos.

18 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Color scheme doesnt really matter since it wont be windowed - But it will probably be black/red with that mobo :)

I dont have a fixed budget - around gtx 960/970 for gpu (Dont know what the equivilant is in AMD), and im considering the RMX series power supply - so you can pick in that area.

Just now, Xafer said:

Color scheme doesnt really matter since it wont be windowed - But it will probably be black/red with that mobo :)

I dont have a fixed budget - around gtx 960/970 for gpu (Dont know what the equivilant is in AMD), and im considering the RMX series power supply - so you can pick in that area.

380/390 respectively. I´d suggest the GQ, if your looking for something cheap but damn good with modularity.

2 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

380/390 respectively. I´d suggest the GQ, if your looking for something cheap but damn good with modularity.

How significant is the performance gain from the 970 to the 390?

What about wattage on the PSU, what will i need with an i5 and a 970/390?

Just now, Xafer said:

Like 5-10% on avg. They trade blows usually, but with double the vram, generally better performance, and usually less of a cost, you can´t go wrong with the 390. Wattage? 500/550 watts would be enough.

7 minutes ago, Xafer said:

personally i would suggest a 650/750 w power supply. You'll get better effecieny, and the 390 uses quite a bit of power if you go with that card (300 w tdp). Also, you'll have some flexibility if you ever want to go SLI. My number one suggestion with PSUs though is to not go to cheap. When PSUs fail they can bring other parts with them. In my system, I'm running a 6700k and a gtx 970 off of a 750w evga 80+ gold

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Just now, bgibbz said:

personally i would suggest a 650/750 w power supply. You'll get better effecieny, and the 390 uses quite a bit of power if you go with that card (300 w tdp). Also, you'll have some flexibility if you ever want to go SLI. My number one suggestion with PSUs though is to not go to cheap. When PSUs fail they can bring other parts with them. In my system, I'm running a 6700k and a gtx 970 off of a 750w evga 80+ gold

i think i'll go with a 650 or 750 - SLI wont be relevant though since it will be an ITX build.

2 minutes ago, Xafer said:

i think i'll go with a 650 or 750 - SLI wont be relevant though since it will be an ITX build.

Lol right, i missed that part about the itx :)

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Just now, Xafer said:

I can get that for 100 USD - The 750 variant is 10 USD more. 

It´s $70? Or are you located somewhere else?  Denmark, just saw it.

Graphics card question:

What type of cooler should i go for? I've seen some reviewers suggest reference coolers because of the tight space between the PSU and GPU.

But will the cooler type really make that much of a difference?

Also - I was looking at MSI's cards - How big of a difference is the Twin Frozr cards compared to the tiger?

2 minutes ago, Xafer said:

Graphics card question:

What type of cooler should i go for? I've seen some reviewers suggest reference coolers because of the tight space between the PSU and GPU.

But will the cooler type really make that much of a difference?

Also - I was looking at MSI's cards - How big of a difference is the Twin Frozr cards compared to the tiger?

Wait, are you going 390 or 970?

6 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Wait, are you going 390 or 970?

I havent decided yet - Will look for good deals the next few days

1 minute ago, Xafer said:

I havent decided yet - Will look for offers the next few days

Okay then, well usually not a good idea to go with the ref. design for a card. Unless the card can literally not fit in the case unless it´s a ref. design, try and avoid it. Or, just save up more money and go Nano or Fury x.

3 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Okay then, well usually not a good idea to go with the ref. design for a card. Unless the card can literally not fit in the case unless it´s a ref. design, try and avoid it. Or, just save up more money and go Nano or Fury x.

I wasnt worried about the size, i meant the cooler type (Blower or open-air) i'll try to find the review i got it from.

Found it - Awesomesauce Network - Building in the Nano S from Fractal Design

About 3 minutes in he recommends blower style cards.

Edited by Xafer

@Xafer

Be careful when choosing psu for nano s, and don`t go yolo. Any thing longer then 160 mm will cower entire bottom cutout, and give u a huge headache ;)

1 minute ago, Promaja said:

@Xafer

Be careful when choosing psu for nano s, and don`t go yolo. Any thing longer then 160 mm will cower entire bottom cutout, and give u a huge headache ;)

Do you have any good recommendations maybe? :)