Video card cooler swap

TheCrunkster

Hello people 

First time posting here and i have a quite simple question but its my first time dealing with coolers and video cards together . My rig has an AMD Crossfire setup using one radeon hd 7970 ( the one with the turbo style cooler ) and another 7970 directcu 2 with the dual fan cooler . What i want to do is swap the dual cooler on to the other card as that one is my main card and it would give me less noise and probably better cooling on the main card . I did think about swapping th cards and making the directcu one my main but it doesnt have the connections i need for the monitor setup i use .

So , do you guys think its a simple swap or would i need any adaptors or things like that  ? 

Here is a pic of the 2 cards as well from when i was cleaning them . 

video cards.jpg

I'm not the best with crossfire settings, but why dont you use the Direct CU as your main, but use the reference to connect your display(s)

If not, just buy the necessary adapters. Switching the cooler would be extremely difficult. I think the DirectCU has a custom pcb, if it doesnt have the same connections as the reference cards. Just get the needed adapters, if you absolutely want to. Honestly switching the coolers technically would make such a little difference, it wouldnt be noticeable. 

Oh, and please dont work on that carpet. Dont want to static shock one or both of those cards, that would suck

Welcome to LTT! Feel free to PM me if you just wanna chat, I love conversation!

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

Thanks for the reply , i dont know what to say about buying the adapters , these 2 cards will be replaced this year anyway and they will go on another pc i will build for my brother or ill sell them and go for something a bit more modern .

As far as setting the cards up like u said , i dont know they go all AMD on me and that doesnt work . Thinking about all this now i could build a completely new rig ..... costly but new tech all around would be kinda sweet :)

The current rig is this :

Asus z97 pro gamer mobo

I7- 4790k

16gb hyperx fury blue ddr3  

the 2 radeons 

small kingston os ssd and 1tb WD blue