Motherboard and fans? o.O

BrisoX

How many fans can I connect to my motherboard. I currently have this MBO (https://www.msi.com/product/motherboard/Z170A-KRAIT-GAMING.html#hero-overview).

Wanted to connect 2 from h100i gtx, 1 rear fan and 3 front fans. that possible with connecting to motherboard?

WHITE MIST

CPU: I7 6700K @ 4,7GHz 1,38V GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Strix @ 1568MHz RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 4x8GB 3200MHz CL16 MBO: MSI Krait gaming 3X Z170 PSU: Cooler Master VSM 750W CASE: Fractal Design Define S/window CPU COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 1,5TB Seagate Barracuda

PcPartPicker - White Mist

Vidox Production - Official page

It takes 3 fans. you need a splitter or fan-controller

wow... pretty empty here...

This MOBO has 6 5 PWM fan headers so you can for sure hock 6 fans, PWM or 3pin, without a problem. You can also use one fan header to run 3-4 fans with a fan splitter like this or this. What you want to do is use the CPU fan header for the fan/s that are used for your CPU cooler and then you could use the other fan headers for any other case fans, the number of fans is up to your setup..

I have 3x 120mm PWM fans on just the CPU header via a fan splitter and another 3x 140mm PWM fans on another fan header via another fan splitter and then 1x 1400mm fan on another fan header direct to the MOBO plus 1x 200mm fan on a fan hub that came with my case. 

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

1 minute ago, Leonard said:

This MOBO has 6 PWM fan headers so you can for sure hock 6 fans, PWM or 3pin, without a problem. You can also use one fan header to run 3-4 fans with a fan splitter like this or this. What you want to do is use the CPU fan header for the fan/s that are used for your CPU cooler and then you could use the other fan headers for any other case fans, the number of fans is up to your setup..

I have 3x 120mm PWM fans on just the CPU header via a fan splitter and another 3x 140mm PWM fans on another fan header via another fan splitter and then 1x 1400mm fan on another fan header direct to the MOBO plus 1x 200mm fan on a fan hub that came with my case. 

so actually i can connect all six of them on MOBO without the splitter or?

btw, thanks for giving the note for splitters :D

WHITE MIST

CPU: I7 6700K @ 4,7GHz 1,38V GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Strix @ 1568MHz RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 4x8GB 3200MHz CL16 MBO: MSI Krait gaming 3X Z170 PSU: Cooler Master VSM 750W CASE: Fractal Design Define S/window CPU COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 1,5TB Seagate Barracuda

3 minutes ago, BrisoX said:

so actually i can connect all six of them on MOBO without the splitter or?

btw, thanks for giving the note for splitters :D

I corrected my first post....the MOBO has 5 fan headers and not 6...sorry about that. 2 for the CPU fan( one is the main and the other is a CPU optional and 3 for chassis fans.

Yes you can populate all the fan headers with one fan per header but it just makes for a neater build when you use splitters, this is entirely up to you.

Just now, Leonard said:

I corrected my first post....the MOBO has 5 fan headers and not 6...sorry about that. 2 for the CPU fan( one is the main and the other is a CPU optional and 3 for chassis fans.

Yes you can populate all the fan headers with one fan per header but it just makes for a neater build when you use splitters, this is entirely up to you.

so then, i need to get splitter to have 6 fans running in my case

WHITE MIST

Just now, Leonard said:

why does the product page say it's only got 3 headers? 
As splitters I think the nzxt splitters are excellent because of simplicity and esthetics

29 minutes ago, BrisoX said:

so then, i need to get splitter to have 6 fans running in my case

Yes you would need a splitter for 6 fans and if you are going to get a fan splitter it would be wise to get a multi-fan splitter which can run more than 2 fans. Now you can also use a fan hub.

28 minutes ago, das affe said:

why does the product page say it's only got 3 headers? 
As splitters I think the nzxt splitters are excellent because of simplicity and esthetics

assuming you are talking about the Phobya splitter, because that is how may fans the splitter can accommodate the other splitter i put can accommodate 4 fans.

1 minute ago, Leonard said:

assuming you are talking about the Phobya splitter, because that is how may fans the splitter can accommodate the other splitter i put can accommodate 4 fans.

I am not sure if i understand what you said. i mean the nzxt grid because it is powered by sata and can be controlled by the motherboard via fan-header. the 1st generation takes 10 fans and the 2nd generation can be controlled with windows software.

4 minutes ago, das affe said:

I am not sure if i understand what you said. i mean the nzxt grid because it is powered by sata and can be controlled by the motherboard via fan-header. the 1st generation takes 10 fans and the 2nd generation can be controlled with windows software.

sigh.....

the NZXT grid is a fan hub not a splitter. You asked why doe the splitter say 3 fans and i answered that. Yes the NZXT grid can accommodate more fans than the splitter. The splitter can also be controlled via software. If you like the NZXT grid and want to offer some advise/another choice to OP then that is okay.

16 minutes ago, Leonard said:

sigh.....

the NZXT grid is a fan hub not a splitter. You asked why doe the splitter say 3 fans and i answered that. Yes the NZXT grid can accommodate more fans than the splitter. The splitter can also be controlled via software. If you like the NZXT grid and want to offer some advise/another choice to OP then that is okay.

And i didnt ask why "the Splitter" what ever Splitter you talk about has 3 headers but why you say the motherboard has 5 headers when the website says it has 3. why is the grid not a splitter? It splits one and gives out 10. its like a phobya Splitter but it looks better because the PCB is covered.

17 minutes ago, airdeano said:

it has 5 fans headers because that is what that website says it has:

170a krait.png

oh shit yes i saw the 4pin cpu header stuff but i thought it meant 2x 4pin power connectors for the cpu. i was wrong, sorry.