Server Power Supplies and Fan Headers

Quantum1

I recently bought some second hand server hardware from Ebay and I have a few questions about Server PSUs and some fan headers.

The two 1KW power supplies that I purchased are not compatible with the motherboards that I am using (Asus KFSN4-DRE/iKVM/IST, and an OEM board from InvenTec ESC). I talked to a friend of mine who is an electrical engineer and he said that these power supplies are missing a few of the voltages that we'd need to power the boards, so we couldn't jury rig them. The boards are using standard ATX 24pin and 8pin connectors for main power. The picture below is the connection type that the PSUs I bought are using. I would assume that these plug directly into a motherboard/chassis back plane and provide power that way.

20160226_145434.thumb.jpg.1700c52a65381a

So I've take back to Ebay to find some deals on ATX power supplies and I've come across several different types of power supplies. The picture below is an example of one of the different connection types that I have found while searching on Ebay.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.6a080316f859ffd540e11e

Can anyone tell me what type of connection this is and can I find cables for this that are ATX compatible?

20160226_145612.thumb.jpg.ab9f6e2c99f866

And my final question is about some fan headers on the Inventec motherboard that I purchased. These fan headers look like nothing I've ever seen before. Could someone identify what type of headers these are so I can find the appropriate fans for them.

Thank you

Those are all proprietary to dell. Unless you do A TON of modding, you wont be able to get them to work with anything that uses standard atx. 

My native language is C++

The fan header is a fairly common one for server gear, most HP stuff uses that connector, I've seen it on both Delta and Nitec fans. Not a clue what to call it though... sorry. I've never seen them that close together... typically there isn't a wire on the fan, the connector is directly mounted. Connector is the bottom right of the fan in the picture.

496066_001_1__03159.1375385533.1280.1280

The reasoning for the missing voltages is that you are missing a component there. Those rectifiers feed a power distribution module which will likely create your 5v or 3.3v depending on which is missing from that specific rectifier. This is an example of one.

56d11ba316ac9__1.JPG.b8b9b1510b553634f2e

You absolutely CANNOT mix and match this stuff though, you have to find the exact part that was supposed to match up with it. You shouldn't have a problem here since the connectors shouldn't match up unless they were meant for each other but you never know... its not worth the risk unless you are absolutely sure they are supposed to be plugged into one another.

If your boards use standard connectors, I'd recommend just buying a normal PSU. In case you haven't heard one of those server units running yet, I'll warn you that they are crazy loud. Putting it in a closet down in the basement isn't enough, its something you want to run in the garden shed...

11 hours ago, Scheer said:

The fan header is a fairly common one for server gear, most HP stuff uses that connector, I've seen it on both Delta and Nitec fans. Not a clue what to call it though... sorry. I've never seen them that close together... typically there isn't a wire on the fan, the connector is directly mounted. Connector is the bottom right of the fan in the picture.

496066_001_1__03159.1375385533.1280.1280

The reasoning for the missing voltages is that you are missing a component there. Those rectifiers feed a power distribution module which will likely create your 5v or 3.3v depending on which is missing from that specific rectifier. This is an example of one.

56d11ba316ac9__1.JPG.b8b9b1510b553634f2e

You absolutely CANNOT mix and match this stuff though, you have to find the exact part that was supposed to match up with it. You shouldn't have a problem here since the connectors shouldn't match up unless they were meant for each other but you never know... its not worth the risk unless you are absolutely sure they are supposed to be plugged into one another.

If your boards use standard connectors, I'd recommend just buying a normal PSU. In case you haven't heard one of those server units running yet, I'll warn you that they are crazy loud. Putting it in a closet down in the basement isn't enough, its something you want to run in the garden shed...

Wow, Thanks a lot this was really helpful! So I could pick up a power distribution unit that is compatible with these HP PSUs and then I could power these boards correctly?