Python 3 problem

CornOnJacob

I'm a relative beginner to Python, and I'm writing a short program in IDLE. After prompting the user for a price, I run this code:

try:    Current_price = float(Current_price)except ValueError:    print("That's not a number!")

If Current_price successfully converts to a float, I want to use it for calculations. If not (i.e. it is text) I want to throw an error. When I run this to test it and input text, I get this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):  File "C:\Users\Kids\Desktop\Stock Profit Calculator.py", line 27, in <module>    profit(D_investment, D_shares, G_investment, G_shares)  File "C:\Users\Kids\Desktop\Stock Profit Calculator.py", line 20, in profit    profit = (Current_price * shares) - investmentTypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for -: 'str' and 'float'

How can I get the program to prompt the user for a number a second time?

Thanks, 

Jacob

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

Please post all your code!!

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

It seems that you're trying to multiply a string ('str') by a float, which means that Current_price is being set to the user input, and then despite you trying to throw an error, you're getting a type error. Maybe try throwing a type error for your price check, or you have to exit the program/only set Current_price to the input once it has been deemed of float type.

I'd set the user input to a new variable, test that, and then if it is a float, set Current_price to the value of the input.