16:9 to 21:9 in Post Processing?

byalexandr
Go to solution Solved by Arty,
Just now, byalexandr said:

I already have Vegas Pro, editing is not the problem, it's just that my actual gear is quite lacking. I was curious as to if it would be weird to just clip it to 21:9 and if people actually do that, or if I could somehow get my Lumia 1020 to film at 21:9.

Clip in post or clip when recording

either way its being clipped 

better to do in post then on the phone.

for ability to tweak with the footage.

How difficult would this be to do? Could I just cut the top and bottom of the frame in post processing to make it 21:9?

Unless of course, someone knows how to make my Lumia 1020 (a Windows Phone) shoot in 21:9. I'm using it for a school project but I want to make it semi-cinematic with 21:9 and color correction.

your phone will just crop it down to 21:9 if you record that way so what you should do mask out top and bottom, /crop in post processing so you can also move the video with extra space if needed vertically in horzinatlly, you getting what i feel?

difficulty?

should be  a walk in the park

unless your using movie maker. 

2 minutes ago, Arty said:

your phone will just crop it down to 21:9 if you record that way so what you should do mask out top and bottom, /crop in post processing so you can also move the video with extra space if needed vertically in horzinatlly, you getting what i feel?

So I take some tape and crop off the top and bottom of my screen? So that whatever's left is what I'll actually be filming in the end? 

I'd like to film in 21:9, but if that works then I don't suppose it would be too bad. Would look weird but it would work.

To edit your edit: I'm using Vegas Pro and DaVinci Resolve. I'll just be trimming clips and moving them around in Vegas to make the film and then render in 21:9 and color correct in Resolve, should look okay if I get the lighting and stuff right.

So I take some tape and crop off the top and bottom of my screen? So that whatever's left is what I'll actually be filming in the end? 

I'd like to film in 21:9, but if that works then I don't suppose it would be too bad. Would look weird but it would work.

don't film in 21:9

film in the max res you can then mask it in editing, so you still have that extra footage just in case you want to use it.

panning ex, stabilizing footage vertically later. 

what are your skills in film and composting footage if you're asking this :Pjust curious xD:)

Just now, Arty said:

don't film in 21:9

film in the max res you can then mask it in editing, so you still have that extra footage just in case you want to use it.

panning ex, stabilizing footage vertically later. 

what are your skills in film and composting footage if you're asking this :Pjust curious xD:)

Well I don't necessarily have the best equipment so my experience is kind of limited by that, even though I really do enjoy filming and stuff.

I'm more into photography simply because I have an actual DSLR to use, if I had an actual camera to use for film (my DSLR doesn't shoot video) then I would be way more into it.

I can film at 1080p30FPS, Windows 10 has pretty much gimped my precious 41MP camera.

Well I don't necessarily have the best equipment so my experience is kind of limited by that, even though I really do enjoy filming and stuff.

I'm more into photography simply because I have an actual DSLR to use, if I had an actual camera to use for film (my DSLR doesn't shoot video) then I would be way more into it.

I can film at 1080p30FPS, Windows 10 has pretty much gimped my precious 41MP camera.

I would download a trial of Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere to use for editing. 

Vegas is more straightforward for this simple task. 

2 minutes ago, Arty said:

I would download a trial of Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere to use for editing. 

I already have Vegas Pro, editing is not the problem, it's just that my actual gear is quite lacking. I was curious as to if it would be weird to just clip it to 21:9 and if people actually do that, or if I could somehow get my Lumia 1020 to film at 21:9.

Just now, Arty said:

Alrighty, then that's what I'll do. Thanks!

I do it. Though I cut down from 4K so have loads of pixels to work with.

Set the video sequence to a native 21:9 resolution (such as 2560*1080) instead of hardcoding in black bars because then it screws up when watching on an actual 21:9 monitor.

38 minutes ago, Dredgy said:

Set the video sequence to a native 21:9 resolution (such as 2560*1080) instead of hardcoding in black bars because then it screws up when watching on an actual 21:9 monitor.

But it will also limit the compatibility to Blu-Ray and other players. 

On 2/26/2016 at 3:35 AM, byalexandr said:

snip

As others have already said, do this clipping in post processing.  Record with the full resolution of the sensor, and in post editing create the sequence with the resolution and aspect ratio you need.

21:9 is nearly the same as 2.39:1 aspect ratio of anamorphic wide screen theater.

The best is if your camera can record in either 4K resolution which gives you a lot of extra pixels so that when clipping to 21:9 you have some vertical pixel space to maintain a decent 1080 pixel vertical resolution or if you can mount an anamorphic lens.  Anamorphic lenses compress the horizontal FOV to fit onto a standard 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio sensor/film frame and does the reverse when projecting the image back onto a screen.

When filming, what you should do on your camera/phone is either have the screen display guide lines that are of that aspect ratio or if the camera/phone doesn't have the ability to display guides then just put on some masking tape around the screen to show you what the composition will look like with such an aspect ratio.  This makes it easier to compose the scene so that the parts you want to keep are always within the same section of the screen.  Otherwise it can become uneven as you film if the parts you want to keep are sometimes in the middle of the frame, sometimes at the top, sometimes at the bottom.

Additionally what you can do in post processing, if you ever need to prepare the video for distributing to different formats or outlets or clients (as my colleagues and I do when requested):

• Edit the footage on one timeline, usually we use the native aspect ratio of the camera/footage. (Unfortunately I don't own an anamorphic lens, wish I did so I can do 2160p 2.39 wide screen without having to clip.)
  • Then create different sequences with different aspect ratios as needed, copy the edits, effects, etc. from the main sequence and paste them onto the alternate sequences.
  • This way we have sequences ready to render for distribution to those who request 16:9, 2.39, 1.33 (4:3), etc.

A few years ago, I saw a nice video on the history of aspect ratios. It's surprising to see how 16:9 fits in between the 4:3 ratio of old normal screen TVs and theater wide screen aspect ratio.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer