msi r9 390x vs msi gtx 980

La Jake
1 minute ago, La Jake said:

so im planning to build a new pc for 1300-1400 which graphic card is better ???

R9 390X without any doubt..much more memory so its more future proof. 4 GB vram is already obsolete in some games even at 1920x1080p

thats very good card i should go with amd

Just now, Johnny09 said:

R9 390X without any doubt..much more memory so its more future proof. 4 GB vram is already obsolete in some games even at 1920x1080p

thats very good card i should go with amd

ok and is it compatable with i5-6600k intel???

Just now, La Jake said:

Yes offcourse. That would be great gaming pc

1 minute ago, La Jake said:

So you know, the 390x is not future proof. Nothing is. It's just the better choice on average.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

So you know, the 390x is not future proof. Nothing is. It's just the better choice on average.

Its better than 4 gb gtx 980 for sure..and much more cheaper than overpriced nvidia

with time it will be probably better as GCN was better than kepler

3 minutes ago, Johnny09 said:

Its better than 4 gb gtx 980 for sure..and much more cheaper than overpriced nvidia

with time it will be probably better as GCN was better than kepler

People like you make me hate advising AMD. When Polaris launches the 390x might be kicked down to current 280 levels of performance. Good, but not enough for high settings and stable 60fps. 

VRAM cannot compensate for a lack of speed.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

People like you make me hate advising AMD. When Polaris launches the 390x might be kicked down to current 280 levels of performance. Good, but not enough for high settings and stable 60fps. 

VRAM cannot compensate for a lack of speed.

There is no any doubt that R9 390X will be better choice for future,especially as amd will greatly benefit with dx12 . And we all lnow that GCN is like wine, and defeated competitor Kepler many times in many games already.Mostly because bigger vram

Yes 980 is slightly faster in some games that favors nvidia but thats nothing to worry about,,, 8 gb card is still better choice longterm. At least to play with higher textures

5 minutes ago, Johnny09 said:

There is no any doubt that R9 390X will be better choice for future,especially as amd will greatly benefit with dx12 . And we all lnow that GCN is like wine, and defeated competitor Kepler many times in many games already.Mostly because bigger vram

Yes 980 is slightly faster in some games that favors nvidia but thats nothing to worry about,,, 8 gb card is still better choice longterm. At least to play with higher textures

No, it's the cheapest choice and with the new cards on the horizon spending as little as possible is the wisest opinion.

Your beloved AMD will drop Hawaii support once Polaris hits. Hawaii will probably come after Tahiti in driver support which AMD is classically late with.

OP, don't buy into the fandom. Get a card that will get you by until the new cards hit. A 390 can't even provide 60fps in the last 3 games to launch at high settings, and is unable to provide 60fps at medium settings in the new Hitman. The 390x is marginally faster than a 390, it's already close to being a mid level graphics card.

Try to play Lords of the fallen with ultra textures or tomb raider and have a shutter fest after some time on rise of the tomb raider game needs more than 4 gb even at 1080p.

Assassins creed unity also using 5.5 gb vram easily too

1 minute ago, Johnny09 said:

Its ok now after new drivers. Everyone knows about nvidia gimping in witcher 3 after they had recieve massive complains on forum and released driver fix. So you accuse amd for driver neglecting and forgeting what nvidia has done in recent past. Even petition against nvidia is available

and you are telling me that 980 ti is better than amd with double memory longterm.

Who said anything about the 980ti or anything about one being better than the other? I don't have a crystal ball, I'm not going to throw the bones and read them to see which lasts longer. Chances are they're both just enough for medium settings in a few years, if we keep getting crap ports even sooner. 

The best option is to wait and get a card once more is known about Pascal and Polaris. But, if that's not a possibility then get the best value, that's the 390x. Maybe even a 390 as the performance difference is less than the price difference. 

5 minutes ago, Johnny09 said:

Try to play Lords of the fallen with ultra textures or tomb raider and have a shutter fest after some time on rise of the tomb raider game needs more than 4 gb even at 1080p.

Assassins creed unity also using 5.5 gb vram easily too

So don't buy a Fury or Fury X? 

At last we agree on something.

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

Who said anything about the 980ti or anything about one being better than the other? I don't have a crystal ball, I'm not going to throw the bones and read them to see which lasts longer. Chances are they're both just enough for medium settings in a few years, if we keep getting crap ports even sooner. 

The best option is to wait and get a card once more is known about Pascal and Polaris. But, if that's not a possibility then get the best value, that's the 390x. Maybe even a 390 as the performance difference is less than the price difference. 

I had made a typing error i apologise i am talking about gtx 980.

Chances are that many games will ask for more than 4 gb vram ,so 8 gb r9 390x will probably give option to play at higher details. Its already happend with gtx 760 2 gb versus GCN cards that was competitors but beaten nvidia with bigger vram in new games.

Yes i agree he can wait for next gen, and even then AMD will most probably be more bang for buck

consider nvidia practice most probably... amd is fusion and future 

It currently breaks down like this:

Want a good card on a budget? Get AMD.
Want the fastest most feature rich card out? Get Nvidia.

As @App4that said, go with 390X unless you can get the 980 for less. Both will last you a while, don't worry about the 4gb vram, it won't really affect anything. Ideally, you can sell whichever card you get for a Pascal/Polaris card down the road.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

I had made a typing error i apologise i am talking about gtx 980.

Chances are that many games will ask for more than 4 gb vram ,so 8 gb r9 390x will probably give option to play at higher details. Its already happend with gtx 760 2 gb versus GCN cards that was competitors but beaten nvidia with bigger vram in new games.

Yes i agree he can wait for next gen, and even then AMD will most probably be more bang for buck

consider nvidia practice most probably... amd is fusion and future 

Games use the amount of VRAM made available to them, not a set amount...

AMD is getting into the development game, that takes resources. I'll never understand how you guys don't realize that lifting the little guy above the big guy, makes a new big guy. You're making AMD the new Nvidia. You're making the next Gameworks. Only rather than using tesselation like Nvidia AMD will use asynchronous compute. 

The strategy is the same.

3 minutes ago, Johnny09 said:

NVIDIA is far worse lier and scammer...yes AMD was also have some moments but far less severe than nvidia multiple lies and fiascos not to mention GimpWorks

always AMD yes i am their fanboy always 

AMD is being sued for their use of the AIO on the Fury X.

AMD was involved in the development of Hitman Absolution and it has the same graphics on PC as console, it also runs better on console than a budget PC with a AMD graphics card. 

Tell yourself any lie that works. Meanwhile fans are why we have consoles beating PC. And why I argue with fans like you.

Get the 980

The 390X drowns before it gets to use its full 8gb of ram.  It just doesn't have the muscle.

8GB vram is all marketing for people to buy and old rebrand of a rebrand of a rebrand.

Just now, App4that said:

AMD is being sued for their use of the AIO on the Fury X.

AMD was involved in the development of Hitman Absolution and it has the same graphics on PC as console, it also runs better on console than a budget PC with a AMD graphics card. 

Tell yourself any lie that works. Meanwhile fans are why we have consoles beating PC. And why I argue with fans like you.

NVIDIA has released crippled 970,lied about maxwell no async shader, gimped kepler in drivers, restricted overclock multiple times for laptop 800 series to sell 900 maxwell more, reducing amd performance with gameworks and cripple nvidia older cards and more.

AMD is saint compared to evil nvidia..thats why i love that company <3

6 minutes ago, Johnny09 said:

Anything just to see nvidia doomed. I am tired of that corporation and i would like to see AMD stronger than ever. AMD is amazing fair corporation with open source and its very sad to see what nvidia is doing same as 3dfx back in those days..i will never ever buy nvidia again i truly dont like them

2 minutes ago, Johnny09 said:

NVIDIA is far worse lier and scammer...yes AMD was also have some moments but far less severe than nvidia multiple lies and fiascos not to mention GimpWorks

always AMD yes i am their fanboy always 

Let's say in a crazy world that AMD got as big as Nvidia is now, do you really expect them to keep those same standards? No. Of course not. At the end of the day they are still a business that needs to compete. Smaller companies can cater towards it's users much easier than larger ones.

Honestly, the best thing that could happen to the GPU market would be someone like Samsung buying AMD. This would help create real competition.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    

Just now, Johnny09 said:

NVIDIA has released crippled 970,lied about maxwell no async shader, gimped kepler in drivers, restricted overclock multiple times for laptop 800 series to sell 900 maxwell more, reducing amd performance with gameworks and cripple nvidia older cards and more.

Do you realize you're lying? 

1 minute ago, max_headroom said:

Get the 980

The 390X drowns before it gets to use its full 8gb of ram.  It just doesn't have the muscle.

8GB vram is all marketing for people to buy and old rebrand of a rebrand of a rebrand.

Its not marketing 4 gb is already too little and 8 gb will last him longer and he will be able to play in higher details in new games,as games will ask for more memory...GCN has already defeated competitor kepler just because of more memory it already happend..so AMD is always better choice...fusion and future

Again: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/3j5e9b/analysis_async_compute_is_it_true_nvidia_cant_do/

Just now, App4that said:

Do you realize you're lying? 

Nothing lying everything can be checked from 0.500 mb scam and keeping silent until last moment to reduce kepler performance in witcher and give back 10 more fps after driver fix. their scam is confirmed and nvidia ceo has even apologise