Graphics Card for Video Editing upto 2k and 4k in future.

Go to solution Solved by maestro0428,

Personally, I would go with an Nvidia card because of CUDA.  Sure, it doesn't help all of the time, it depends on what you do in your project.  A 960 GTX should do very well in Premiere.  I stopped using AMD cards because they just aren't as fast in pro apps.  No need for a Quadro.  The 960 GTX is faster than lower end Quadros anyway.

Hello all,

A friend of mine is an enthusiast, video editor and a casual gamer.

Currently he has ATI Radeon HD 6770 GPU and wants an upgrade. He is thinking about getting a Firepro, but that's way expensive. What I suggested him to go for a Gaming GPU, as video encoding works on CUDA and OpenCL.

His budget is somewhere around the price of GTX 960, Can you all please suggest a decent Graphics card for his purpose, which will be a significant upgrade over his old GPU? Also there is no brand preference, so Team Green or Red, anything is welcome.

Cheers all, and thank you in advance.

Youtube Gaming Channel : International Gaming Forum (IGF) : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3kAr9J4RlOjuRVmoBRu5fQ

Intel Core i7 6700k   I   Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 Motherboard   I   Gskill Ripjaws V F4 3000Mhz 16GB RAM   I   Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming   I   Samsung 850 Evo M.2 SSD

I   Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SATA SSD   I   Seagate 4TB Mechanical HDD   I   Antec H2O 1250 CPU Liquid Cooler   I   NZXT Source 530 Full Tower Chassis   I   Mad Catz Cyborg V7 Gaming Keyboard   

I   Mad Catz M.M.O.T.E Gaming Mouse   I     So Basically, Oculus Ready!

2 minutes ago, Chirag Borawake said:

Hello all,

A friend of mine is an enthusiast, video editor and a casual gamer.

Currently he has ATI Radeon HD 6770 GPU and wants an upgrade. He is thinking about getting a Firepro, but that's way expensive. What I suggested him to go for a Gaming GPU, as video encoding works on CUDA and OpenCL.

His budget is somewhere around the price of GTX 960, Can you all please suggest a decent Graphics card for his purpose, which will be a significant upgrade over his old GPU? Also there is no brand preference, so Team Green or Red, anything is welcome.

Cheers all, and thank you in advance.

Quadro because you need CUDA acceleration. Still expensive though.

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

If my post helped you, please rate it!

With that minimun budget i suggest him save up a little and then get a new GPU.

Does the software he uses to video edit support both CUDA and OpenCL? If both then go for an R9 380. If OpenCL then again, the R9 380, if CUDA then the GTX 960.

FirePro and Cuda won't help you with rendering apart some effects. For preview both will be capable. Amd probably will be on the cheaper side. It will all end up depending on the software you're using. Some don't even have gpu acceleration so it will be pointless. Something like premiere will work with Nvidia Cuda and AMD openCL. I had quadros and firepros. To be honest for daily work, you don't need a ''special'' card. Just get a gaming card and it should be alright.

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

It will depend on how powerful your power supply can handle. Nvidia card is known for use less power, and AMD is known for power hungry and massive heat output.

DO NOT buy quadro. It is expensive and it is design for industry use. It will not worth the price. You can get the same performance with half of the price on the Nvidia side.

Ok, forgot to mention, the software he uses is Adobe Premiere Pro. So ATI Radeon R9 380 it is. Am I right?

Youtube Gaming Channel : International Gaming Forum (IGF) : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3kAr9J4RlOjuRVmoBRu5fQ

Intel Core i7 6700k   I   Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 Motherboard   I   Gskill Ripjaws V F4 3000Mhz 16GB RAM   I   Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming   I   Samsung 850 Evo M.2 SSD

I   Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SATA SSD   I   Seagate 4TB Mechanical HDD   I   Antec H2O 1250 CPU Liquid Cooler   I   NZXT Source 530 Full Tower Chassis   I   Mad Catz Cyborg V7 Gaming Keyboard   

I   Mad Catz M.M.O.T.E Gaming Mouse   I     So Basically, Oculus Ready!

Personally, I would go with an Nvidia card because of CUDA.  Sure, it doesn't help all of the time, it depends on what you do in your project.  A 960 GTX should do very well in Premiere.  I stopped using AMD cards because they just aren't as fast in pro apps.  No need for a Quadro.  The 960 GTX is faster than lower end Quadros anyway.