What is a dedicated physX Card?

nkucz

I have heard about people using like GT 640s as dedicated physX card and it increased their FPS, what does all this mean?

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

It is basically for AMD users who want physX without losing lots of performance, if you are using Nvidia, you will not gain performance by adding a PhysX card. (you might lose performance)

It's a dedicated GPU to run PhysX off, meaning that your primary GPU won't have to handle the workload that PhysX causes. However the FPS increase you'll wont be big(if anything), and in my personal opinion dedicated physX GPU's isn't worth spending money on..

So basically it's pointless? for me... I have a gtx 660 2gb

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

It's just an NVIDIA GPU that only runs PhysX. This means you can pair a 760 with a 650 and use the 650 only for PhysX.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

So basically it's pointless? for me... I have a gtx 660 2gb

Correct.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Thanks guys I was just wondering what it is.. I was talking to someone and they said they have a gtx 780 and a gt something for graphics..

I have heard about people using like GT 640s as dedicated physX card and it increased their FPS, what does all this mean?

It's something that worked in the past but nowadays today's cards are too fast to even consider using PhysX dedicated GPU. It will SLOW things DOWN instead of speeding them up, because today cards are faster (memory bus etc.) than older cards. Older cards would be bottleneck.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

The more powerful a video card....The more pointless it becomes.

TL,DR. Don't bother since you already have a 660

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

But is it useful for me? I have 7850 2GB  and 3770k

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

But is it useful for me? I have 7850 2GB  and 3770k

On an AMD video card, PhysX gets thrown on the CPU and you cannot use an NVIDIA GPU to process PhysX unless you hack it.

also guys, is it better to upgrade video card to like a gtx 770 or just keep my card and grab another and run SLI?

also guys, is it better to upgrade video card to like a gtx 770 or just keep my card and grab another and run SLI?

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

and just a ps amd guys if you have a good enough cpu with atleast a quad core (8 core would be great) you can download the nvidia physx driver thing and set the cpu to handle it.

same can apply fro nvidia guys if they have a quad or more it might pay them to do this as your gpu doesn't have to worry about it and most modern games still only use around 2 cores of the cpu (may vary depending on game)

Rig: i5 3570k clocked at 4.4ghz stable/gainward stock gtx 670/ 256gb ocz vertex 3/ 2tb wd green/ zalman z11/ samsung 24x blueray reader/ benq 2411t 120hz gaming monitor

I actually have a question that can be thrown onto this topic. I recently upgraded from a 550ti to a 7950. I still have my 550ti (haven't gotten around to selling it), would I be able to use that for physX while still running the 7950 for everything else?

I actually have a question that can be thrown onto this topic. I recently upgraded from a 550ti to a 7950. I still have my 550ti (haven't gotten around to selling it), would I be able to use that for physX while still running the 7950 for everything else?

Yes, in fact that is a great use for your 550Ti. You could sell it, but dedicated PhysX cards are nice to have. Not necessary, but very nice. 

You will need to do some hacking to get it to work together with the 7950, as someone else mentioned, but it can, and likely will, work.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

would I be able to use that for physX while still running the 7950 for everything else?

Without hacks? No.

AFAIK you can only now use a AMD card with a Nvidia card using OLDER drivers that are compatible with the PATCH needed to enable the nvidia to do Physx.

Having older drivers in use on a modern card is plenty stupid as you know, you may lose the performance you were expecting to gain..., and physx is now taken care of in most games by the cpu in AMD based systems.

Physx on the CPU, Hawken, Planetside 2, Borderlands 2, AMD users can run Physx off the CPU

The only thing Nvidia Physx HAS that CPU Physx do not have is the APEX extension for the Physx runtimes, extra trails and particles.

Most Physx Decal Scar marks, liquid and smoke, has no issue or visual difference one company over another, just the APEX being used on Nvidia cards and nothing else.

Most likely in all games you see OFF, LVL1, LVL2

Off is OFF.

LVL 1 is Nvidia Physx without Apex, LVL1 also works on all systems, Using a Nvidia GPU, or a CPU if no Nvidia hardware is present

LVL 2 is Nvidia Physx With Apex, only works on Nvidia Gpu's.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

It is basically for AMD users who want physX without losing lots of performance, if you are using Nvidia, you will not gain performance by adding a PhysX card. (you might lose performance)

if i dropped another 770 in and used it as a Physx card i would gain performance not that would not do that because SLI would be a better opiton

If you had a last gen card eg 660-760 and you did not sell it you could use the 660 as a physx card and gain performance( and heat and noise and power consumption)

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

if i dropped another 770 in and used it as a Physx card i would gain performance not that would not do that because SLI would be a better opiton

If you had a last gen card eg 660-760 and you did not sell it you could use the 660 as a physx card and gain performance( and heat and noise and power consumption)

Just do SLI :)