Router to fix lag when brother is downloading

oats123

Hey there, so my problem is that i have really bad internet. The max speed i normally get when downloading is around 1.5Mbps at its best. My brother downloads alot and when ever he does he uses all of the bandwidth up and i cannot play games, or browse the web properly without major lag, I was wondering if there was a router i could get which would be able to split it so i could still play games at stable ping/ browse the web while he downloads at a reasonable rate. my current router is a TP-LINK TD-W8970. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Just now, oats123 said:

Hey there, so my problem is that i have really bad internet. The max speed i normally get when downloading is around 1.5Mbps at its best. My brother downloads alot and when ever he does he uses all of the bandwidth up and i cannot play games, or browse the web properly without major lag, I was wondering if there was a router i could get which would be able to split it so i could still play games at stable ping/ browse the web while he downloads at a reasonable rate. my current router is a TP-LINK TD-W8970. Any help would be great. Thanks!

You could try getting a router that manages and prioritizes specifc packets, but that won't help much.  It really comes down to your connection to the router and then your routers connection to the internet.  You only have a certain amount of bandwidth, so if your brother is downloading stuff, no matter what it will affect your connection speed, but you should be able to play games without lagging, so what I would reccommend is connecting to the router via ethernet first, just to test it, and if that fixes is, buy one of these(if you can't reach your router from where ur pc is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704164&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Network+-+Powerline-_-N82E16833704164&gclid=CjwKEAiAo7C2BRDgqODGq5r38DsSJAAv7dTPan7dIVKeznfDB3v6lqQ93-7RCGMT2I4f71r7tbssvhoC_Ajw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds)

I can help with programming and hardware.

<Script>alert("This website is vulnerable to XSS");</Script>

1 minute ago, littlepigboy5 said:

You could try getting a router that manages and prioritizes specifc packets, but that won't help much.  It really comes down to your connection to the router and then your routers connection to the internet.  You only have a certain amount of bandwidth, so if your brother is downloading stuff, no matter what it will affect your connection speed, but you should be able to play games without lagging, so what I would reccommend is connecting to the router via ethernet first, just to test it, and if that fixes is, buy one of these(if you can't reach your router from where ur pc is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704164&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Network+-+Powerline-_-N82E16833704164&gclid=CjwKEAiAo7C2BRDgqODGq5r38DsSJAAv7dTPan7dIVKeznfDB3v6lqQ93-7RCGMT2I4f71r7tbssvhoC_Ajw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds)

Thanks for the reply! Probably should have stated that i am on an Ethernet connection already. I have heard of dual band routers but are they only for wifi? My brother is also connected via Ethernet aswell.

1 minute ago, oats123 said:

Thanks for the reply! Probably should have stated that i am on an Ethernet connection already. I have heard of dual band routers but are they only for wifi? My brother is also connected via Ethernet aswell.

1.5 isn't enough for both pc's

sorry to say

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Just now, techguru said:

1.5 isn't enough for both pc's

sorry to say

Yeah thought so, just going to have to deal with my shitty Australian internet.

Unless anyone else has any other ideas

Thanks for the replies.

Just now, oats123 said:

Yeah thought so, just going to have to deal with my shitty Australian internet.

Unless anyone else has any other ideas

Thanks for the replies.

pay for 2 lines and get a router that can split it

Just now, techguru said:

pay for 2 lines and get a router that can split it

Would cost alot here, Already pay $100 aud a month for 500 Gig cap and this speed.

3 minutes ago, oats123 said:

Would cost alot here, Already pay $100 aud a month for 500 Gig cap and this speed.

go to the isp..put a gun to there head and tell them to give better internet

really..1.5 shouldn't even be considered broadband

Are you sure it's 1.5 Mbps not MBps, because if it is then your download speed would be about 180 KBps.

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

My computer runs on MSX, Its very hard to catch.

wow! I am sorry to hear that.. I should never complain about my speed or price in the USA.. at that speed you are SOL if someone is downloading.. don't spend cash on a new router or anything because it will not help.. just hope prices go down and speed goes up.. 

Best of luck my friend!

dial up? I meet a few Aussies in the Philippines and Thailand and they said they had good not great internet infrastructure there.. is this really possible?

16 minutes ago, ozziestig said:

Are you sure it's 1.5 Mbps not MBps, because if it is then your download speed would be about 180 KBps.

Its 1.5 MBps, on my router it has max rate is 15188 Kbps. But on steam it will download around 1.5MBps when no one else is on the internet

16 minutes ago, techguru said:

go to the isp..put a gun to there head and tell them to give better internet

really..1.5 shouldn't even be considered broadband

I wish man, If you have ever read anything about the "new" NBN in australia, youd know that its a massive fuck up. I dont even have NBN but when i do get its not going to change my speed because they are doing Fibre to the Node, and then copper wire to the house. not just fibre everywhere.

13 minutes ago, Themule08 said:

dial up? I meet a few Aussies in the Philippines and Thailand and they said they had good not great internet infrastructure there.. is this really possible?

and no, its meant to be broadband. 

The only things I know about Australia are they have kangaroos and bandwidth is extremely expensive (to the point that data centers in Australia will tunnel traffic through California to artificially slow connections and so all DDOS attacks get stopped in the US).

-KuJoe