Good Budget Dac

TommyF

So I own the Sony MDR-1A headphones and I need a DAC for them because the audio shielding on my motherboard just failed. Looking for one that is around 100USD and would like two aux outputs so I can use my speakers as well. Considering the FiiO E10k right now.

What does "audio shielding just failed" mean? How did you determine such a thing?

Also, if it is necessary to buy a DAC, won't you want an amp as well?

FiiOs seem to be decent from what I've read and seen.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

3 minutes ago, SSL said:

What does "audio shielding just failed" mean? How did you determine such a thing?

Also, if it is necessary to buy a DAC, won't you want an amp as well?

Well considering the very annoying crackling I get when I've plugged my headphones into the aux ports on my motherboard I'm guessing the shielding failed. I really don't know much about audio so I really didn't think I needed an amp with my headphones but if I do I will buy a DAC and AMP combo.

Just now, TommyF said:

Well considering the very annoying crackling I get when I've plugged my headphones into the aux ports on my motherboard I'm guessing the the shielding failed. I really don't know much about audio so I really didn't think I needed an amp with my headphones but if I do I will buy a DAC and AMP combo.

Shielding doesn't just "fail", not unless a rat scratched a hole in your motherboard and took up residence there with a long-wave radio transmitter.

I recommend going through the troubleshooting guide in my signature. More than likely a driver you installed or updated is causing problems.

You can buy this if you want: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OJ5AV8I/ But as like as not it will have the same problem as your onboard.

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

Shielding doesn't just "fail", not unless a rat scratched a hole in your motherboard and took up residence there with a long-wave radio transmitter.

I recommend going through the troubleshooting guide in my signature. More than likely a driver you installed or updated is causing problems.

You can buy this if you want: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OJ5AV8I/ But as like as not it will have the same problem as your onboard.

Oh well that would be great then if I didn't have to buy one at all, I posted my problem on the forum and was told that it was most likely EMI and I then just assumed that it was the shielding that failed... Stupid me :)

So I can't fix it myself and would now really appreciate some help in finding a good dac :)

1 hour ago, TommyF said:

So I can't fix it myself and would now really appreciate some help in finding a good dac :)

So you were able to try everything in the guide without help?

5 minutes ago, SSL said:

So you were able to try everything in the guide without help?

I did try quite a lot but I couldn't check if the hardware was the problem because I don't have any other hardware lying around :(

But I'm probably just going to go for the FiiO E10K

1 minute ago, TommyF said:

Neat. Fun. Better hope it works.

5 minutes ago, TommyF said:

This one is better than the E10k acording to Z reviews.

EDIT:

His guide  https://www.reddit.com/r/Zeos/comments/3fsegw/guide_dacs_headphone_amplifiers/

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

Neat. Fun. Better hope it works.

Thank you for your help man even though I couldn't do it myself :)

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

I would actually prefer that one but because I live in Norway I would have to pay 72$ in shipping plus an extra 25% of the price including shipping. This means the total would be around 220$  for a 112$ product :(

Just now, TommyF said:

Thank you for your help man even though I couldn't do it myself :)

I would actually prefer that one but because I live in Norway I would have to pay 72$ in shipping plus an extra 25% of the price including shipping. This means the total would be around 220$  for a 112$ product :(

look here then maybe 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Zeos/comments/3fsegw/guide_dacs_headphone_amplifiers/

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

4 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

EDIT:

His guide  https://www.reddit.com/r/Zeos/comments/3fsegw/guide_dacs_headphone_amplifiers/

Debatable, plus "Zeos" is hell of annoying.

Just now, SSL said:

Debatable, plus "Zeos" is hell of annoying.

Why do you hate him?? I find him to be one of the only youtubers that tells what he thinks about products and doesn't fall for all that "audiophile" bs companies put out.

Just now, Dackzy said:

Why do you hate him?? I find him to be one of the only youtubers that tells what he thinks about products and doesn't fall for all that "audiophile" bs companies put out.

He doesn't have a lot of knowledge about audio. Compare any of his rambling video "reviews" to stuff from innerfidelity or noaudiophile (the latter of whom is also extremely no-BS) and the gulf in knowledge and experience is clear. The result? The information density of his content is pretty low and lacking in original insight.

It's also important to note that he makes money from his multiple channels, so it's in his best interest to build up a fan base of disgruntled teenagers who are allergic to spending money. His whole "Budget-Fi Guru" persona is doubtless carefully crafted and maintained to appeal to the reddit and youtube crowds. Those Amazon affiliate links don't click themselves!

Just now, SSL said:

He doesn't have a lot of knowledge about audio. Compare any of his rambling video "reviews" to stuff from innerfidelity or noaudiophile (the latter of whom is also extremely no-BS) and the gulf in knowledge and experience is clear. The result? The information density of his content is pretty low and lacking in original insight.

It's also important to note that he makes money from his multiple channels, so it's in his best interest to build up a fan base of disgruntled teenagers who are allergic to spending money. His whole "Budget-Fi Guru" persona is doubtless carefully crafted and maintained to appeal to the reddit and youtube crowds. Those Amazon affiliate links don't click themselves!

But he does recomend really high end things from time to time... I like that he often compares the headphones he is reviewing to other headphones and yes his knowlegde about sound is not that great at all. For people who knows alot about headphones it's kinda funny to watch him sometimes, but it also feels like he dumbs down things. I think he is better than the channels that recomend 2000$ dac, 3000$ amp and 500$ audio cables.

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

But he does recomend really high end things from time to time... I like that he often compares the headphones he is reviewing to other headphones and yes his knowlegde about sound is not that great at all. For people who knows alot about headphones it's kinda funny to watch him sometimes, but it also feels like he dumbs down things. I think he is better than the channels that recomend 2000$ dac, 3000$ amp and 500$ audio cables.

Warmed over vomit is better than those channels; end of the day I just don't like Z reviews.

Just now, SSL said:

Warmed over vomit is better than those channels; end of the day I just don't like Z reviews.

Don't you think it's funny that some people really takes those "audiophile" channels seriously??

Just now, Dackzy said:

Don't you think it's funny that some people really takes those "audiophile" channels seriously??

Not at this point, it's just annoying and why I stay around here instead of head-fi or other more dedicated audio sites.

Speaking of reviews, I really just want to read/watch Tyll's review of the Sennheiser HD 800s. I've never been so tempted by a headphone, but unfortunately, no place locally has them for trial.

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

Not at this point, it's just annoying and why I stay around here instead of head-fi or other more dedicated audio sites.

Man it's so nice talking to you there is no bs, you just say things as it is.

1 minute ago, SuicideAnomaly said:

Speaking of reviews, I really just want to read/watch Tyll's review of the Sennheiser HD 800s. I've never been so tempted by a headphone, but unfortunately, no place locally has them for trial.

They are a nice pair of headphones and really comfortable.

1 minute ago, SuicideAnomaly said:

Meh. After living with the DT880 for awhile I can't get excited by overly bright headphones. Really the only phone that interests me at present is the HD650. Everything else is stupidly overpriced or not the sound I'm looking for.

Just now, SSL said:

Meh. After living with the DT880 for awhile I can't get excited by overly bright headphones. Really the only phone that interests me at present is the HD650. Everything else is stupidly overpriced or not the sound I'm looking for.

I listen to a lot of punk, that typically isn't mastered the best, so an overly bright headphone isn't appealing. I've heard they've rectified this somewhat with the "s" but I really don't want to drop an exorbitant amount of cash, only to be disappointed. With my musical tastes taken into consideration, this is why I never recommend the DT 990. To me, they simply hurt. The HD 650 is my go to pair of headphones, and I use them daily. I do wish they weren't as ugly as sin, though.