5960X Overclock

I just got a 5960X and I am tinkering with the overclock. I've got it at 1.25volts and 4.3GHz and my temps under load are peaking at about 70-73 after 15 minutes. Are those temps fine for this processor?

My CPU cooler is a Swifttech H320 X2 Prestige 

Thanks!

Just now, BelgiumCastGijs said:

70-73 seems a bit high for the overclock you dialed in but it definatly is safe for the CPU.

IS it in celsius or farhenheit?

Just now, mikat said:

computers always (99% of the time) measure in celsius, so celsius :) 

Was just making sure ;-) ps: that profile pic is awesome!

1 minute ago, BelgiumCastGijs said:

IS it in celsius or farhenheit?

Yes it is in celsius. Do you know of any ways I could lower the temps without sacrificing the performance of the CPU?

70-73 seems a bit high for the overclock you dialed in but it definatly is safe for the CPU.

5 minutes ago, Bloodmakerr said:

I just got a 5960X and I am tinkering with the overclock. I've got it at 1.25volts and 4.3GHz and my temps under load are peaking at about 70-73 after 15 minutes. Are those temps fine for this processor?

Thanks!

Yea... 1.25@4.5 I would expect more around mid-high 60s, although it all depends on what stress test you are running.

Anyways those temps are totally fine. I think you can probably up your frequency or drop you voltage though as that is a super conservative overclock.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 minute ago, Bloodmakerr said:

Yes it is in celsius. Do you know of any ways I could lower the temps without sacrificing the performance of the CPU?

(this is assuming you ran Aida 64 or something similar) You should be absolutely fine with those temps, you probably got a bad ticked it the silicon lottery ;-) nothing you can really do about it other than not running at 100% all the time

EDIT: since you are running realbecnh, it's probably also using your gpu to the maximum, this will heat up your system even faster so then those temps should be absolutely fine, you can probably reaise the overclock to 4,4 or 4,5 Ghz

Your temps seem a bit high, but as long as you get 80 or below those temps will be fine.

As others have said still seems high. For that massive cooler I would expect more cooling.

13 minutes ago, Bloodmakerr said:

Thanks!

hmmm.... its a bit too high for that kind of oc but its fine. as long as you are under 85c, you're fine.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

I'm going to pretty much disagree with everyone here. 70-75 peak (for what I assume is package temp) is perfectly normal for that voltage. This CPU draws A LOT of power and is going to produce some heat under full load.

I try to keep mine under 80 while stress testing for 24/7 use. I run 1.26v for 4.6ghz and have temps very similar to yours.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

15 minutes ago, Bloodmakerr said:

I just got a 5960X and I am tinkering with the overclock. I've got it at 1.25volts and 4.3GHz

Nice.  I sorta lost the silicon lottery with my 5960X and can only manage a 4.3GHz w/1.3v.  It's stable, but taking a bit more voltage than yours.

and my temps under load are peaking at about 70-73 after 15 minutes. Are those temps fine for this processor?

Something seems off here.  I've over-engineered my water cooling setup, so bear that in mind.  But after a 15 minute run of RealBench, I see 60ºC and no more.  I doubt my system is worth 10-13ºC over yours, so I'd start checking stuff:

• Are you sure the CPU block is attached appropriately and with the right TIM?
  • What do you have the fans set to?
  • What do you have the pump set to?

Your cooler should be able to shed that heat a lot better.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

9 minutes ago, BelgiumCastGijs said:

(this is assuming you ran Aida 64 or something similar) You should be absolutely fine with those temps, you probably got a bad ticked it the silicon lottery ;-) nothing you can really do about it other than not running at 100% all the time

EDIT: since you are running realbecnh, it's probably also using your gpu to the maximum, this will heat up your system even faster so then those temps should be absolutely fine, you can probably reaise the overclock to 4,4 or 4,5 Ghz

I just set it to 4.5GHz and I am now running AIDA64 (trial) my temps normally stay in the high 50s to lower 60s but sometimes just jump to the low 70s

Just now, Bloodmakerr said:

I just set it to 4.5GHz and I am now running AIDA64 (trial) my temps normally stay in the high 50s to lower 60s but sometimes just jump to the low 70s

You're perfectly fine then, around 60 C is quite good for the 5960X, the jumps are somewhat normal, they shouldn't harm you (unless they went to 100C) So good luck with your chip!

1 minute ago, Bloodmakerr said:

The very last CPU test in the AIDA64 suite will overwhelm any cooling system.  But it won't last for long.  Don't worry about that part.  The temps during the entire run are more important and interesting.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

Just out of curiosity is it possible I put too much thermal paste on? I have not perfected the amount to use as my first application I put a bit too much and had to clean it off. Then I reapplied to what looked like about the size of a green pea.

Just out of curiosity is it possible I put too much thermal paste on? I have not perfected the amount to use as my first application I put a bit too much and had to clean it off. Then I reapplied to what looked like about the size of a green pea.

Yes it is possible. Generally for the X99 platform and larger chips you put a line down the center of the chip, but as long as you don't cake the CPU is paste you are generally fine.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

Just now, Masada02 said:

Yes it is possible. Generally for the X99 platform and larger chips you put a line down the center of the chip, but as long as you don't cake the CPU is paste you are generally fine.

LTT will realease a video in a couple of days explaining jsut that, but all the tests showed a maximum difference of 2C so that's marginal, it is really hard to put too much thermal paste on, so as long as you didn't put so much on it so it squirted out on the sides, you should have barely to no temp diffrence.

LTT will realease a video in a couple of days explaining jsut that, but all the tests showed a maximum difference of 2C so that's marginal, it is really hard to put too much thermal paste on, so as long as you didn't put so much on it so it squirted out on the sides, you should have barely to no temp diffrence.

Ya, I'd be more worried about squeezing the excess off the edge of the CPU and into things. Not saying that's guaranteed, but it would make me worry. 

Just now, Masada02 said:

Ya, I'd be more worried about squeezing the excess off the edge of the CPU and into things. Not saying that's guaranteed, but it would make me worry. 

as long as the thermal paaste is non conductive, then it shouldn't even be a problem, it's not recommended thoughj ;-)

Well thanks a bunch guys. Seem to be running stable at the 4.5 so I will keep that

Well thanks a bunch guys. Seem to be running stable at the 4.5 so I will keep that

Good luck with your cpu!